3. Greenback 4-0 148 4

4. Clarksville Academy (1) 4-0 125 6

5. Gordonsville (1) 2-1 118 5

6. Union City 3-1 104 2

7. Moore County 4-0 87 7

8. Coalfield 4-0 78 8

9. Copper Basin 3-0 45 T9

10. Columbia Academy 2-1 28 T9

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Collinwood 15.

I agree with this poll but the way people talk about Gordonsville think they should be 3rd they way a lot of people are saying how good they are. I am from the West so thats why I think Huntingdon should be #2 & South Pittsburg is always great and should be #1 for sure. Union City will get back in the top 5 possibly 4th real soon on right below the rest as the team they lost to is #2 on the list. What are your opinions people?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my opinion on the poll; being baffled as to what i consider to be a snub to Gordonsville sitting at #5, i dug a little deeper as to who votes for this AP poll. Surprise, it's the media departments of various papers across the state. Therefore, there is extreme prejudice and regional bias among the voters (who most likely are the interns at each paper since the actual staff are too busy with covering daily sports news stories, or busy stealing stories from bigger news syndicates.)

I would go even further and say that by the time most voters get around to putting pen to paper in the 1A category; they are the least concerned about accuracy and authenticity than they are with the more important "Classes" and simply "mail it in" according to record or previous tradition.

I'm not going to sit here and argue about whether Gordonsville deserves the number 1 spot or not but if anyone actually looks at body of work to determine position then explain to me how a team that lost to their biggest rival Smith Co. (Who will no doubt end as a top 10 or top 5 team in 3A) by 1 pt. Then beat defending 2A Champ Friendship Christian (who is a legit contender again this yr), then followed that up by beating another 2A opponent in Trousdale (who by the way has 9 gold balls and has been an achilles heel to them. Besides that both FCS and TC are and will finish in the top 10 in 2A) , be a #5 team in 1A ?

Not to mention the senior laden team, who will be playing predominantly 2nd and 3rd stringers the rest of the regular season.

If they want to go strictly by record then why stop where they did, move Gordonsville out of the top 10 and put Coalfield, Moore Co, Copper Basin and any other team without a loss ahead of them.

Just these few things let me know that most voters haven't seen Gordonsville play and to me makes their opinion and this poll a joke.

It'll probably be good motivation for the Tigers to be completely overlooked and disrespected by lazy or "homer" voters.

Bring on the playoffs, then the polls won't matter.

WOW!I cannot believe how you guys react over a poll of writers who havnt seen any of these teams play!This is all this is for,so people can act immature over my team is better than your team.This stuff means nothing.Just something to talk about.

WOW!I cannot believe how you guys react over a poll of writers who havnt seen any of these teams play!This is all this is for,so people can act immature over my team is better than your team.This stuff means nothing.Just something to talk about.

It was just my opinion. Not upset at all. Just sharing my thoughts about how irrelevant it really is. I'd never paid attention to it until i now see such a glaring injustice.

It will all be settled on the field and I'm pumped to watch the season progress.

Now, supper and throwing some ball with the kiddo. Have a great night and a great season for whomever you root for.

It was just my opinion. Not upset at all. Just sharing my thoughts about how irrelevant it really is. I'd never paid attention to it until i now see such a glaring injustice.

It will all be settled on the field and I'm pumped to watch the season progress.

Now, supper and throwing some ball with the kiddo. Have a great night and a great season for whomever you root for.

Thanks,enjoy the kiddo one day you turn around and they are 21 and dont call unless they want something!lol!