who is the best player in tennessee right now?

iknowmorethanyou

Vol74 stated:

"What you don't know is that he played with a dislocated shoulder and a possible labrum tear until he couldn't take the pain and benched himself."

If what you state is accurate, then at the same time you are asserting Hurd's martyr/hero status, you are picturing the coach to be an irresponsible jerk. He "benched himself?" Did the coach want him out on the field? Did he start the game with this injury? In any case, the coach discovered at some point Hurd was injured but continued to play him anyway. He obviously knew that he was injured when he started using him only as a "decoy" on offense. But he also continued to play him on defense. (I watched the game on the net) He should have been removed immediately from the game, had his shoulder immobilized and iced, and watched the rest of the game from the sideline.

Seems like the Wilson Central "D" did a pretty darn good job and deserves some credit. Hard to measure how much a shoulder injury affected his ability to run, and apparently most of his rushing attempts were before the injury....

I'm sure this young man has everybody's prayers and/or best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sounds like the game situation needs to be investigated thoroughly - you know, how much did the coach know and when did he know it yet still left Hurd in the game. He probably at the least merits a severe reprimand. Appears he was more concerned with a "W" than with this future star's health. Just my opinion based solely on your statement.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your pin-point analysis is startling and fresh - it is one thing for some of us to offer an opinion regarding the "best player" in the state, but you sir have unequivocally convinced us all based upon your incredible logic and bold insight. You are also quite fearless in "calling out" Mr. Ramsey and exposing him for the weak sister that he obviously is. In order that the rest of us may learn at your feet, I have one question: how do you analyze the relative merits of two players who not only play in separate divisions with no common opponents, but who also PLAY DIFFERENT POSITIONS??????? Surely an expert such as you understands that Ramsey plays receiver on offense but that his primary position is at free safety and that he is a five-star prospect at cornerback? And that these positions are VERY different than Hurd's primary position? I look forward to an expert such as you breaking down the relative skill sets displayed by each of these fine young athletes so that we can all better understand your brilliance. hungry.gif

You are quite correct that I have more knowledge than yourself despite your sarcasm. I have seen both play and based on their athletic abilibilties, skill set, and how well each play their positions, Hurd is in my opinion the better player. The meaursables also favor Hurd, I know he is bigger although not quite as quick/agile as Ramsey but not far behind. I dont know what Ramsey's 40 time is but I have heard that Hurd has been clocked at 4.3 low 4.4 range. Just by watching I wouldnt guess Ramsey is quite that fast but like I said, I do not know. I have no bone in either of these guys teams/careers and just by watching from a distance, if I was a college coach I would rather have Hurd. As a UT fan I would pick Hurd out of the 2 as well. I will now wait for the "but he plays elite competition" response.....rolleyes.gif

You are exactly right Jalin Hurd is the best player in the state regardless of age. Too bad for Jalen Ramsey there is a player a year younger who is better.....

If you want to make a post of the board to tell about a player that you believe deserves recognition,thats great.I do take issue with you putting down another player in order to do so.To do that to a High School Athlete is classless.I have not liked this thread from the beginning,the way that people have used it to argue one player against eachother.The players have different positions,different competition.No person can choose one best player.That is my opinion.

If you want to make a post of the board to tell about a player that you believe deserves recognition,thats great.I do take issue with you putting down another player in order to do so.To do that to a High School Athlete is classless.I have not liked this thread from the beginning,the way that people have used it to argue one player against eachother.The players have different positions,different competition.No person can choose one best player.That is my opinion.

Ok 1st of all, settle down, I did not disrespect Ramsey; that part of my response was directed towards the individual who made the post I was responding to. I hope and am pretty sure Ramsey could care less if there is a younger player in the state better than him, nor should he. You are correct, no 1 can say for absolute who is the best player in the state but we can have our opinions and discuss them here.....

You are quite correct that I have more knowledge than yourself despite your sarcasm. I have seen both play and based on their athletic abilibilties, skill set, and how well each play their positions, Hurd is in my opinion the better player. The meaursables also favor Hurd, I know he is bigger although not quite as quick/agile as Ramsey but not far behind. I dont know what Ramsey's 40 time is but I have heard that Hurd has been clocked at 4.3 low 4.4 range. Just by watching I wouldnt guess Ramsey is quite that fast but like I said, I do not know. I have no bone in either of these guys teams/careers and just by watching from a distance, if I was a college coach I would rather have Hurd. As a UT fan I would pick Hurd out of the 2 as well. I will now wait for the "but he plays elite competition" response.....rolleyes.gif

Glad that you are now admitting that you are merely stating your opinion!! Best of luck to both of these extremely talented athletes! rolleyes.gif

Glad that you are now admitting that you are merely stating your opinion!! Best of luck to both of these extremely talented athletes! rolleyes.gif

Agreed, I dont like it when other people state their opinions as if they are facts and if I did indeed do that it was not my intention and I apologize.....

Don't. If anybody should feel like a #### it's the coach for playing him injured.

You are awfully quick to indict Coach Crabtree based totally on hearsay and speculation. We have no idea how bad he's hurt, when he was hurt, and when the coaches knew it. Don't believe every injury report you read on here.

Vol74 stated:

"What you don't know is that he played with a dislocated shoulder and a possible labrum tear until he couldn't take the pain and benched himself."

If what you state is accurate, then at the same time you are asserting Hurd's martyr/hero status, you are picturing the coach to be an irresponsible jerk. He "benched himself?" Did the coach want him out on the field? Did he start the game with this injury? In any case, the coach discovered at some point Hurd was injured but continued to play him anyway. He obviously knew that he was injured when he started using him only as a "decoy" on offense. But he also continued to play him on defense. (I watched the game on the net) He should have been removed immediately from the game, had his shoulder immobilized and iced, and watched the rest of the game from the sideline.

Seems like the Wilson Central "D" did a pretty darn good job and deserves some credit. Hard to measure how much a shoulder injury affected his ability to run, and apparently most of his rushing attempts were before the injury....

I'm sure this young man has everybody's prayers and/or best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sounds like the game situation needs to be investigated thoroughly - you know, how much did the coach know and when did he know it yet still left Hurd in the game. He probably at the least merits a severe reprimand. Appears he was more concerned with a "W" than with this future star's health. Just my opinion based solely on your statement.

I don't have to claim Hurd as any type of martyr. You call it what you want. As for him leaving the game when he was ready, that is the only way any coach knows when a player is injured or can no longer perform - due to WHAT THE PLAYER tells the coach. Maybe he felt comfortable going out for bogus routes, but could not handle running through a pile of defenders.

Oh, and what a ****!!! Rip your shoulder out of socket, possibly tear tendons or ligaments, and see if it interferes with your ability to run the ball!! Hey, it's just a shoulder though right - which apparently you believe has no bearing on running a football.

At this point I'm not sure it's as much of a discussion as it was early in the season. Hurd has, quite frankly, been unstoppable. The best you can hope for is to maybe slow him down. I mean there are 3 games remaining in the regular season and he's already ran for nearly 2,000 yards. This kid is not playing against weak competition, either. District 9AAA is one of the state's best, and they didn't exactly schedule cupcakes for their non district schedule. The public/private debate can go in circles forever, but the truth is, if I had one player in the state to build my team around, it is Hurd bar none. And I mean absolutely none.

Beech plays in 5A District 9. 9AAA is a BASKETBALL classification which includes 5A and 6A. I think this clouds some issues, especially since they have separate playoffs, but many, including some in the media, continue to use it.

I think you and some other advocates of Mr Hurd, for example Kevin 38, need to ease up on the hyperbole. 9AAA is "one of the state's best?" Well, I guess if you lump districts 9 in 5A and 6A together, you might have an argument. But Beech plays in 5A, although they do play 6A Mt Juliet and Wilson Central, which is good, since your only 5A competition is Hendersonville. To inject some objectivity, look at the current Sonny Moore Computer rankings. These 3 quality opponents rank #14, #36 and #37. Not bad. Then consider that D II has 8 teams ranked in top 40, 5 ranked higher than Beech's top rated opponent #14 Mt Juliet. 6A district 7 is perennially a beast. There are other examples.

Just food for thought. Has nothing to do with "who's the best player." I think most would agree it's probably Hurd, so your continued crusade is starting to sound a bit shrill.

Beech plays in 5A District 9. 9AAA is a BASKETBALL classification which includes 5A and 6A. I think this clouds some issues, especially since they have separate playoffs, but many, including some in the media, continue to use it.

I think you and some other advocates of Mr Hurd, for example Kevin 38, need to ease up on the hyperbole. 9AAA is "one of the state's best?" Well, I guess if you lump districts 9 in 5A and 6A together, you might have an argument. But Beech plays in 5A, although they do play 6A Mt Juliet and Wilson Central, which is good, since your only 5A competition is Hendersonville. To inject some objectivity, look at the current Sonny Moore Computer rankings. These 3 quality opponents rank #14, #36 and #37. Not bad. Then consider that D II has 8 teams ranked in top 40, 5 ranked higher than Beech's top rated opponent #14 Mt Juliet. 6A district 7 is perennially a beast. There are other examples.

Just food for thought. Has nothing to do with "who's the best player." I think most would agree it's probably Hurd, so your continued crusade is starting to sound a bit shrill.

This is not about the oh so elite D2 (so freakin tired of hearing that crap), but about the best player just as you stated. We always have no choice but to be indulged to a statistical testimonial as to how great they are. I have never stated 1 time about how good 9AAA is for the record.....

Edited by Kevin38