Ensowrth to join 'Elite Division'?

Custer

Moreover, when EHS lost that top lineman (name?) in the middle of his senior season a few years ago, they barely lost a beat. BTW whatever happened to him? I know Darkwa has been playing well for a poor Tulane team.

He is a starting lineman for the University of Tn. His name is Richardson

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you consider them to be "middle of the road" when they played "Cornless" in the D2-AA championship game last year and mercy-ruled one of the best teams in the state? Whatever one thinks of their talent level for next year (as good as or better than anyone's in my opinion), they have the best coaching staff in D2-AA. Their talent will be better than it was five years ago in their first full season of varsity football and they certainly weren't "middle of the road" then (8-2 regular season, 4-2 in region with a first round win over CBHS). That sounds like a pretty good combination to me. Corn is a great talent, but you should know better than to stargaze when assessing a football team.

The last 4 years Ensworth has a one great running back. 2009 Darkwa 78% of total rushing yards, 2010 Elder 76%, 2011 Elder 61%, 2012 Elder 65%. That is a huge chunk of yardage and without that type explosive back Ensworth would have been " middle of the road" DII AA team.

As for the championship game last year Baylor played awful. If they had played up to potential they could have won.

As for the coaching staff at Ensworth...Wade will not be there much longer. His name comes up for head coaching jobs all the time, ie BA last year. Rodriquez looking for HC job as well, he was in the running for the BGA job.

So if Ensworth goes to some " elite division" they could have a tough road. I don't see Ensworth as king of DII AA for much longer, more like "middle of the road".

Edited by shakinthefat

I agree shakin imho ensworth will come back to earth next year if not sooner. I believe ba has the talent to beat then this year.

I an taking nothing away from

what they have done the last two years but as I see it they are where they belong and will have plenty of comoetition from the other d2 schools

The last 4 years Ensworth has a one great running back. 2009 Darkwa 78% of total rushing yards, 2010 Elder 76%, 2011 Elder 61%, 2012 Elder 65%. That is a huge chunk of yardage and without that type explosive back Ensworth would have been " middle of the road" DII AA team.

As for the championship game last year Baylor played awful. If they had played up to potential they could have won.

As for the coaching staff at Ensworth...Wade will not be there much longer. His name comes up for head coaching jobs all the time, ie BA last year. Rodriquez looking for HC job as well, he was in the running for the BGA job.

So if Ensworth goes to some " elite division" they could have a tough road. I don't see Ensworth as king of DII AA for much longer, more like "middle of the road".

I am impressed that you are so attuned to the game of football that you are able to ascertain that a game was decided by the sub-par play of the losing team as opposed to the excellent play of the victor. Not sure how you figure that out, but I would truly appreciate a tutorial on the subject. All we are left with is the scoreboard, which indicated, at the end of the game, that a "Cornless" Ensworth mercy-ruled Baylor, whcih I believe was one of the top 3 teams in the state.

In my opinion, football games are won on the line of scrimmage, and this is the one area in which Ensworth has excelled. You may have noticed that the backs you mention have experienced success under very different offensive sets. In my mind, this indicates two things; (1) Ricky is a master at adapting his offense to the talent that he has available on any given team, and (2) the O-line always seems to grade out well, regardless of the offensive scheme, the identity of the backs, the identity of the opponent or the identity of the O-line coaches. I disagree if you think Ensworth will not have an exceptional O-line and/or an explosive back to take advantage of the holes created over the next few years. Ensworth also has what appears to be exceptional QB talent in the pipeline as well.

In case you hadn't noticed, Ensworth has lost several excellent assistants in its short history (HC at CPA and BGA spring to mind) while somehow actually increasing the overall quality of the coaching staff. You may think this is an accident or just dumb luck, but I sure don't. Quality attracts quality and I see no reason to think that this trend will end anytime soon. Just as it was not the MBA folks starting the secret dorm rumors, believe me it is not the Ensworth folks who are spreading any "elite division" rumors. As far as most of us are concenred, we are already in an "elite division" and are happy to be there.

Please don't get me wrong - I am not saying that I expect Ensworth to continue the crazy success it has had in the past few years. I would be very surprised, however, if they become "middle of the road" in any sense of the term while Ricky holds the reins.

Red - you said Baylor was one of the "best teams in the state last year". I don't think they played to their potential. If they had, it would have been a closer game.

I never said anything negative toward the O Line. The O line opens a hole only for a split second. If you don't have an explosive back with quickness (Darkwa/Elder) the hole will close and a slower back will be stopped. By the way who is the next great back coming up at Ensworth?

I agree Ensworth has had quality coaches, but there is a revolving door for good asst coaches to pursue a HC position. This revolving door could cause some discontinuity with the players and team.

As for Ricky, excellent coach, but even great coaches have " middle of the road" teams.

Everything is a cycle .. The economy .. Life.. Football ..hard to stay on top of your game always no matter who you are . MBA has a run of multiple state championships , so did MUS. To my knowledge BA has been in half the d 2 state championship games since the inception of the league. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Pride comes before a fall and coaches know its impossible to win every year .. Heck even Maryville can't do that ...Ensworth is a good school .. But it will not attract all the private school talent in Nashville and the surrounding area.. As long as BA and MBA continue to pull in their share along with the other schools around the league .. The cycle will continue . BA is due..

By the way who is the next great back coming up at Ensworth?

For next year, it could be Donovan Sheffield (currently Elder's backup as a sophomore) or D'Andre Ferby (junior who got quite a few carries last year but has been out all year with an injury -should be back within the next game or two). Could also be a current freshman, but it is always kinda hard to tell how the young ones will grow.

Food for thought....2011

MUS 42 CBHS 3 (at MUS)

Ensworth 37 BA 17

BA 10 Baylor 7

CBHS 37 BA 34 (at CBHS)

Baylor 31 CBHS 28 (at Baylor)

Corn-Ensworth 28 MUS 0 (at MUS)

Corn-less Ensworth 48 Baylor 10 (No Corn on "O" or "D")

Finally, Baylor 42 Corn-Ensworth 14 (at Baylor). IMHO, this game was a "freak" and Baylor, despite all the "studs" was not as good as the hype. Please, Baylor fans, do not try to convince me otherwise. It was last season. It's just my opinion. It's the only way I have made any sense of the above scores. EHS was clearly numero uno; they won even without Elder, a great 2-way player..

Edited by owlbooster

Everything is a cycle .. The economy .. Life.. Football ..hard to stay on top of your game always no matter who you are . MBA has a run of multiple state championships , so did MUS. To my knowledge BA has been in half the d 2 state championship games since the inception of the league. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Pride comes before a fall and coaches know its impossible to win every year .. Heck even Maryville can't do that ...Ensworth is a good school .. But it will not attract all the private school talent in Nashville and the surrounding area.. As long as BA and MBA continue to pull in their share along with the other schools around the league .. The cycle will continue . BA is due..

If you are responding to my post, I am afraid that you are reading too much into it - I did not say that Ensworth would escape becoming a "middle-of-the road" team in perpetuity - I was responding to a post which opined that they would find their way there next year. I respectfully disagree - I believe that they will be over .500 in D2-AA next year. In my opinion. any team that wins half or more of their games in D2=AA is definitely not a "middle of the road" team in the State of Tennessee.

By the way - I agree that BA is due. I have immense respect for BA, MBA and MUS and believe that each one of those teams is capable of winning the title in just about any year, including this one. Don't overlook MUS - they know how to win and they are scary good when they are "on". CBHS and Briarcrest also appear very good this year. The upcoming MBA-Ensworth and BA-Ensworth games are huge since the champ of the East/Middle won"t have to travel to Memphis to play the winner of the West during the playoffs. It appears that will be a tough trip.