D-II AP Poll. Why can't we get this right?

TheBigRedDog

I have mentioned this before, but how on earth can teams like Webb and St. George's be ranked ahead of teams like MUS, Baylor and MBA? And USJ ahead of MBA? Yes, I know their records are better, but look at their respective schedules. Do the voters just not care? WesVols, please straighten this out. :)

Division II

Record Pts Prv

1. Ensworth (18) 6-0 180 1

2. CBHS 5-0 146 2

3. Brentwood Academy 4-1 133 3

4. Knoxville Webb 4-1 112 4

5. St. George’s 6-0 91 5

6. MUS 4-2 90 6

7. Baylor 4-2 67 8

8. University-Jackson 6-0 66 7

9. Briarcrest 6-0 50 10

10. MBA 4-2 48 9

Others receiving 12 or more points: None.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mentioned this before, but how on earth can teams like Webb and St. George's be ranked ahead of teams like MUS, Baylor and MBA? And USJ ahead of MBA? Yes, I know their records are better, but look at their respective schedules. Do the voters just not care? WesVols, please straighten this out. icon_e_smile.gif

Division II

Record Pts Prv

1. Ensworth (18) 6-0 180 1

2. CBHS 5-0 146 2

3. Brentwood Academy 4-1 133 3

4. Knoxville Webb 4-1 112 4

5. St. George’s 6-0 91 5

6. MUS 4-2 90 6

7. Baylor 4-2 67 8

8. University-Jackson 6-0 66 7

9. Briarcrest 6-0 50 10

10. MBA 4-2 48 9

Others receiving 12 or more points: None.

Funny you should say that -- I thought about emailing the AP voters this week to remind them of the discrepancy between the two leagues. Even though I'm not a media member anymore, I still get the weekly AP emails. It's frustrating, isn't it? Thankfully, it ultimately doesn't mean anything.

Webb definitely deserves being in the top 8. They have played better competition than any other DIV II-A team and been very successful. But i'd say MUS should without a doubt be above the Spartans. MBA and Baylor possibly, but definitely ahead of St Georges and USJ. Ultimately it makes no difference as previous posters stated.

Why in the world are these two divisions not separated, anyway? Just name the top 5 in each division. Every other division is separated - can you imagine trying to rank 1A-3A in the same poll and make sense of it.

I agree.

I also see others' point that a HS football poll doesn't matter. What's the point of even having one, then? Why not just do away with it if the voters won't even take the time to do five minutes of research?

And mus beats cbhs, now what?

MUS moves ahead of St. George's and Webb into 4th. Possibly into 3rd ahead of CBHS. Still doesn't rectify the situation with the Central/East D II AA teams relative to D II A teams.

The AP poll has always been nothing more than a source of disbelieving amusement. As in, "ya gotta be kidding me." I've seen teams ranked lower than 2 or even 3 teams they've actually beaten in head-to-head competition. Never ceases to amaze me how some fans get so upset about it. In the end, the only thing that matters is the gold ball.

Edited by owlbooster