10-AAA Springfield High School Football Pregame Show Podcast vs Kenwood

I am a former player of both coach Wilson and coach Myers. I know them both personally. Coach Wilson is the correct man for this job and he will work until he can't possibly work for these kids anymore. Football and this community are his life. He will turn the program around given time and support from the community and administration. Coach Myers was not what the school or program needed. There was no respect within the program, from the top down. He didn't respect the players well and the players didn't respect him. This is no way for a program to be ran. The internal situation within the team and program was not good. If coach Myers had been allowed to return there wouldn't have been a successful season or a playoff run. We would be experiencing the same type of season we r this year but for drastically different reasons. Dr. Grimes did the correct thing when he made that decision. There is no need to bash a man who cares about the students and athletes. He made a decision to put the well being of the players before anything else. A coach is supposed to be a role model and a person the players look up to, someone they can go to in a time of need. Coach Myers wasn't that type of coach but coach Wilson is exactly that. These players will learn to love him and respect him and he will bring SHS football to where it is meant to be.

Oh I heard the rumors, "oh but Coach Myers yelled at the players and was too tough on them", well boo freakin hoo, I doubt it wasnt any worse than the coaches I played for in the early to mid 90's (some of the best years in the schools program). I played w/ Coach Wilson and agree w/ all of the compliments directed towards him and am ok w/ him being the coach. I am however unconvinced a change should have been made. Also, if it was going to be made it should have happened when the season ended not at the end of the freaking off-season (right b/4 spring practice). Grimes indecisiveness is as big of a reason for this seasons failures as the coaching change itself. Be a man and pull the trigger instead of pondering over it for 3-4 months.....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I heard the rumors, "oh but Coach Myers yelled at the players and was too tough on them", well boo freakin hoo, I doubt it wasnt any worse than the coaches I played for in the early to mid 90's (some of the best years in the schools program). I played w/ Coach Wilson and agree w/ all of the compliments directed towards him and am ok w/ him being the coach. I am however unconvinced a change should have been made. Also, if it was going to be made it should have happened when the season ended not at the end of the freaking off-season (right b/4 spring practice). Grimes indecisiveness is as big of a reason for this seasons failures as the coaching change itself. Be a man and pull the trigger instead of pondering over it for 3-4 months.....

I guess there is never a good time to make a change. My question has never been answered. What is our new direction?

As for our new direction , I don't have a clue. But there will be somthing new happening to our program , we will not be going to the play-offs like we did the previous three years. I bet Buster Grimes Junior is'nt too upset though, after all it is often cold during play-off time and they don't have a extra extra-small hoody for him to wear over his game jersey and besides the hoody makes him look thug like , and we all know we need to change the preception of the school.

• 4 weeks later...

Your the one who needs to getarealclue. As you stated he is the offensive coordinator not the Head Coach. No one has said that he can't coach, he is a real good position coach and coordinator he just was not good at running a program. Unless you personally were involved in the program on a daily basis for 3 years, present in the locker room and on the practice fields then keep your opinions, and that is all they are, to your self. Give the so called little man respect because in the long run for the program we have a better situation. Just look at what is being done to improve the athletic facilites that are proposed and being worked on for SHS. Your opinions have no fact to back them up!!!!

As you can see in my previous post I CAN AND DO GIVE HIM CREDIT for being a good position and coordinator coach, but he is not in my opinion a good Head Coach. I think in time the program will rise to winning records and all this will be forgotten. By the way did you play for him at SHS, if not then you have no real knowledge of what happend the last 2 years within the program. So lets put this discussion to rest as the change was made, right or wrong, and move on and support SHS athletics, the staff, administration and especially the student athletes.

I support coach Myers and I'm sure there were many there who would do as well, as for you or the program it's obvious by the demise that it was a poor decision. Coach if you read this keep up the good work we all loved you and we share a ring and a bond those people who don't know what the game, hard work and discipline will mean to us in the end!

I went to many Springfield games over the last few years and several practices. The fans packed the stands and the games were very entertaining. They won many games and lost few with Myers as Head Coach. The practices were organized, well run with all the coaches actively helping kids be the best they can be. College coaches were actively recruiting several student athletes. How many of these kids have written college offers? The staff truly cared about the kids on and off the field. I do not know the new coach who is a home town guy who more than likely will give it his all to the community and school but it just wasn't his time due to the previous coaches' success. He might do fine with time but this year was going to be special for Myers, his staff, the players and the community but the Principal ruined it with his obvious agenda. He should be fired.

As you can see in my previous post I CAN AND DO GIVE HIM CREDIT for being a good position and coordinator coach, but he is not in my opinion a good Head Coach. I think in time the program will rise to winning records and all this will be forgotten. By the way did you play for him at SHS, if not then you have no real knowledge of what happend the last 2 years within the program. So lets put this discussion to rest as the change was made, right or wrong, and move on and support SHS athletics, the staff, administration and especially the student athletes.

I am a "results" kind of guy and that is how coaches are judged. If things were indeed in discerey as you say for them to have been then that would have shown on the field. I have a gut feeling that somebody probably just got their feelings hurt and just cant let it go. I have confidence in Coach Wilson and am sure w/ time he will get things turned around. Having said that, things should not have to be turned around as there was nothing wrong b/4 this whole debacle.....

Lol you are funny. Myers was obviously doing something right...as a HEAD COACH. They were winning. I don't know if you realize this, but in order to win, you need the players to buy into the system and respect the coaches, which they obviously did. Given how quick the turnaround was when he was hired, something tells me Springfield has a few moles posting on here, because anyone trying to argue that Myers and his staff didn't have that program on an upswing is kidding themselves.

Lol you are funny. Myers was obviously doing something right...as a HEAD COACH. They were winning. I don't know if you realize this, but in order to win, you need the players to buy into the system and respect the coaches, which they obviously did. Given how quick the turnaround was when he was hired, something tells me Springfield has a few moles posting on here, because anyone trying to argue that Myers and his staff didn't have that program on an upswing is kidding themselves.

Great post , even the fans from our opponets realize what a big drop-off our program took from the coaching change. This is what happens when an administrator and certain segment of people within the community have an agenda to have their way. As a long-time Jacket fan its saddens me to see this happen to our program.