5A Quad 1 Projections after week 7

crawdad

Oops...West's slip up at Lenoir City Friday night re-shuffled the TSSAA view of 5A Quad 1. Welcome Powell the new #1 of Quad 1. So my prediction looks like this now, lol:

#8 Sullivan South (5-5) @ #1 Powell (9-1)

#7 Knox Central (6-4) @ #2 Boone (8-2)

#6 Tenn High (6-4) @ #3 South Doyle (7-3)

#5 Cherokee (6-4) @ #4 Mo-West (6-4)

And as Motownanddown pointed out Mo-West or South Doyle could still finish 2nd in their district. So Boone could end up a #2 or #3 and I think South Doyle or Mo-West could end up a #2, #3, or #4. Look right? icon_e_confused.gifwacko.pngpopcorneater.gif

Edited by crawdad

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yall know alot more about this than I do but I thought that you didn't play teams from your conference in the first round. Also how do you justify No. 1 and No. 2 with a 7-3 record in a conference getting a higher seed than a team that is 8-2 from a different conference but finished No. 3 in conference. I just can't see Boone getting penalized for finishing No. 3 in a conference with two 6a teams that finished 10-0 and 9-1 and ranked in state polls.

Because the coaches wanted it this way. This plan has been tweaked annually since its inception based on input from the coaches and ADs. Initially, finishing 1st or 2nd didn't matter. Then, it gave you an automatic bid to the playoff. Now it gives you preferred seeding.

Don't look at it as being penalized, you're just not being rewarded for being Boone. In other words, there are other schools in the same boat.

Edited by voltnh

Because the coaches wanted it this way. This plan has been tweaked annually since its inception based on input from the coaches and ADs. Initially, finishing 1st or 2nd didn't matter. Then, it gave you an automatic bid to the playoff. Now it gives you preferred seeding.

Don't look at it as being penalized, you're just not being rewarded for being Boone. In other words, there are other schools in the same boat.

I don't expect to be rewarded for being Boone by no means. But I don't expect to be penalized for losing to two state ranked 6a teams. Just doesn't make sense for a team to come from a weaker conference and finish first or second but have a worse record or have not played the same caliber teams and get a higher seed. In this case Boone gets the shaft year after year because they should never beat DB or SH. Not saying it isn't possible for them to beat them but it shouldn't happen. Oh well might as well play a tougher team in the first round and grow a little bit throughout the playoffs.

Edited by trailblazersback

I don't expect to be rewarded for being Boone by no means. But I don't expect to be penalized for losing to two state ranked 6a teams. Just doesn't make sense for a team to come from a weaker conference and finish first or second but have a worse record or have not played the same caliber teams and get a higher seed. In this case Boone gets the shaft year after year because they should never beat DB or SH. Not saying it isn't possible for them to beat them but it shouldn't happen. Oh well might as well play a tougher team in the first round and grow a little bit throughout the playoffs.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's what we're stuck with. Bottom line is it wouldn't be this way without input from the coaches. They wanted a simple way of earning a playoff spot and to receive some sort of bonus for it. The first year we had this (2009), we had the following statement for determining automatic qualifiers from the Big 8 (AAA District 1):

"5A - The top 3 teams become playoff eligible. 6A--The team that finishes the highest in the final district standings becomes playoff eligible. If the two 6A schools finish 1st and 2nd in the final district standings both become playoff eligible."

That is only for one district. Each district had different scenarios. It was also possible to have more automatic qualifiers than playoff spots...The following year, the coaches wanted something simpler, and now we have this.

Again, not saying it's the best system, but you're stuck with it.

Edited by voltnh

Don't complain too much. How would you like to be West or Lenoir City? Those two are 5A title contenders and neither will finish in the top 2 of District 4, thanks to Maryville and Bearden (who are both 6A). What about Farragut? That is a very good football team, and it looks like they may miss the playoffs at 4-6, unless they can beat Lenoir City or pull off a stunner against Maryville.

The system isn't perfect, but it's what we have to deal with right now. IMO, Powell shouldn't be a #1 seed (schedule was way too easy), but they took care of the games they had to. If they finish 9-1, they will likely earn a top seed. I don't necessarily agree, but it is what it is.

Here's another example. Take a look at the current playoff projections for 6A, in quad 1. That is an absolute murderers row, and unfortunately, some excellent teams are going to get the short end of the stick early in the playoffs, if those projections hold. All 8 of the teams projected in quad 1 right now are going to finish 1st or 2nd in their district. Sadly, that means an excellent team like Bearden, who will finish 9-1 (lone loss to Maryville), will likely earn a #8 seed, behind Maryville (10-0), DB/SH winner (10-0), Sevier Co (9-1), McMinn Co (9-1), Oak Ridge (9-1), DB/SH loser (9-1), and Jefferson Co (9-1). That will also mean a rematch against Maryville in the first round of the playoffs. That seems pretty ridiculous to me, but again, it is what it is.

The system isn't perfect, but it's what we have to deal with right now. IMO, Powell shouldn't be a #1 seed (schedule was way too easy), but they took care of the games they had to. If they finish 9-1, they will likely earn a top seed. I don't necessarily agree, but it is what it is.

Totally agree. They shouldn't be a #1 seed, but they took care of what they needed to. I just feel we may be a soft #1. Thoughts?

Totally agree. They shouldn't be a #1 seed, but they took care of what they needed to. I just feel we may be a soft #1. Thoughts?

I think that's a good way to describe them. Obviously, I want to see them to succeed, and they have definitely taken care of business so far (hopefully they will continue to do so). But they've definitely benefited from a very soft schedule. Just look at column 4 in the current playoff projections. Their opponents have the fewest number of overall victories (24) of all 5A teams, and that tells a lot of the story. That Central game in week 9 is huge, not just to secure the #2 seed in the district, but because it's the last real test for Powell before the playoffs, and they need to show me something.

If the current projections hold, Powell would be in an excellent situation. They would avoid heavyweights West, LC, and Columbia until the state semifinals, and Daniel Boone would be the toughest team they could face in quad 1. Again, they just have to take it one game at a time, keep getting better, stay healthy, and see what happens. Two years ago, this team took some things for granted, especially in the playoffs, and it cost them against a revenge-minded AC team. Last year, they had a very business-like attitude and it paid off. I think that experience will really help them come playoff time this year.

I don't want anything to do with AC in the postseason, not only because AC is going to be a tough out, but because of the bad blood. Here's hoping AC gets bumped down. It's embarassing what that series has become, and I won't miss it at all.

I was looking at their schedule this morning and thinking how they would end up 5-5 and in the playoffs. Then I started noticing the close losses and realized how good a team they must have. Even the obscene score with CAK is relatively decent considering the opponent. They will be a dangerous 1st round match-up for somebody.

I don't want anything to do with AC in the postseason, not only because AC is going to be a tough out, but because of the bad blood. Here's hoping AC gets bumped down. It's embarassing what that series has become, and I won't miss it at all.

I agree.....Its a shame because both programs are pretty good.. Edited by Space3