WHY CAN'T I BUY A JOB AS A HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL COACH/TEACHER

DevildogCoachP

YAIFan,

Thank you for the words of encouragement and advice. I will check into that for sure. Sad I have to go back outside my home state to find work. I wanted to settle in here due to my daughter being here and me having joint custody. She has missed out on a lot with her dad due to my service. You must be a leatherneck as well by your comments. Semper Fi brother!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, DDcoachP, another thought or two.

Be prepared to volunteer to coach anything to get started. My son in Middle School has coached the following (some of these he did at the HS while teaching Middle School):

soccer (HS)

golf (HS)

tennis (HS)

basketball assistant

basketball head coach

girls softball assistant

football assistant

football head coach

Also, plan to get your Master's at night. That adds $$ to your salary that continue coming in every year that you teach. Masters in administration opens the door to eventually be principal.

My family is full of teachers. Even though I am not one, I see what they have done to succeed.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

I understand Chargerfan. I appreciate that and if I had a full time teaching position that paid a salary with benefits, I might consider volunteer coaching but without a salaried position, I don't coach for free anymore as I have done enough volunteer time and have been paid this season as a DC, LB Coach and RB Coach at a private academy in Nashville but they did not have any teaching spots available. I lost out on the one sub spot due to the DL Coach being a former NFL free agent and there being that celebrity piece with him possibly being able to attract more donors, etc. He was given a few other sports as well to coach. Me, I was told how great I was, etc but there was nothing they could do for me. First, I have to be offered a full time teaching spot with salary and benefits then I can consider volunteer coaching.

Take the praxis and pass atleast one in your specific area. Doing that will allow you to work towards the others and also let's principals know your are serious to obtain the full time.

If I was to start take the plt first. Thats the general common core test.

Yeah I took the History one last Spring and the Marine Corps paid for it. I made a 116 and I needed a 136. I plan to retake it after I am offered employment as I will have financial backing from the Troops to Teachers program which I am eligible for and have a letter of recommendation from them recommending hiring me over others due to this eligibility and financial assistance that they guarantee in the letter. Right now being unemployed for a year with a wife and two kids and vehicles and a lifestyle built on a career in the military making 50,000 a year plus benefits, I don't have the money to waste on those exams with a 50-50 chance of passing. Just not a priority right now. By state law I am qualified to teach the areas of PE, History and Special Education (modified) and am not required to do anything else up front. I am considered Highly Qualified in the area of Secondary History and Middle School Social Studies based on the Major rule/ 24 hour equivalent rule. I just need someone to follow state law and do the right thing. After that, then I am all game once paychecks start rolling in.