WHY CAN'T I BUY A JOB AS A HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL COACH/TEACHER

DevildogCoachP

I was hoping someone or a whole lot of people in this room can help me understand what part of the puzzle I am missing in my hunt to become a high school football coach/teacher. I was discharged from the United States Marine Corps last June for a lower back injury sustained during preparation for a combat deployment to Afghanistan with my unit at the time. Since my discharge I have returned home to the middle Tennessee area to start my life over and pursue my childhood goal of becoming a football coach/teacher. I attended Middle Tennessee State University from 2003 to 2006 where I obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Education with a minor in Athletic Coaching. Due to a divorce, university mandated no work statement (stmt pledging not to work while doing student teaching) and return to active duty, I did not go through student teaching. I have since been back to MTSU taken courses to make myself eligible for a Transitional License in Special Education and History. I received an eligibility letter from the university licensure office verifying this. I have been unemployed for a year now and have interviewed at several schools where I was good until the word Transitonal License got mentioned. I interviewed with one school over the summer where I was the last candidate and drove 45 minutes to the school, spent money I did not have to spend on gas, etc, only to be told a few days later by the head football coach I was never really being considered.

I am eligible for the Troops to Teachers program and if hired by a Title I school, they will give me a 10,000 dollar stipend to help cover Praxis Exams, etc to become fully licensed. I served as a student assistant from 2004 until 2006 at MTSU with the football program where I worked for the Linebacker Coach and current Defensive Coordinator at Texas Tech, Art Kaufman and also for the Defensive Line Coach Les Herrin. I have coached Semi-Pro/Minor League football at Camp Lejeune where I coached Linebackers working for Defensive Coordinator Len Kuhn an NFL veteran/alumni and now serving as the Linebackers Coach/ Asst Defensive Line Coach for the current 2012 NFA League Champion Nashville Storm football team where we are currently 12-0 and will soon defend our 2011 Semi-Pro BCS National Championship title. I also landed a last minute temporary coaching job as the Defensive Coordinator/ Linebacker Coach/ Running Back Coach for the Harding Academy Generals football team. I served in all three billets this year with the varsity 7th/8th grade football team and the 6th grade team. We had a combined record of 11-3, varsity record 5-1 and 6th grade record 6-2. I installed and taught the 4-4 defense to where we had multiple games with 4 or more turnovers, multiple games with 2 or more INTS w/ one returned for a touchdown, multiple games with two or more fumbles caused, etc. There were no teaching positions there and I have not been offered a teaching job as of yet there in order to be a full time member of the staff. I played football at Columbia Central High School where I played Linebacker and Fullback in the mid 1990s, was a member of the 1994 Lions Bowl Champion Team and have been a Marine for almost 13 years total.

I have the leadership, mentoring, teaching and coaching skills. I have the education background and eligibility for Licensing and I have a program willing to back me and pay for further credential requirements. I just don't know what I have to do to get a teaching job along with the coaching position. I know networking for me is a downfall but when you have been away for so long, what do you do? Any advice or help networking, etc would be greatly appreciated. If something doesn't give soon, I may be looking to start over career wise again.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice would be to find a school and head coach that would let you volunteer once the season is over. You can start getting your foot in the door there. explain to them your teaching situation and if you do a good job the head coach may be able to recommend to the principal that they h ire you for any open spots. I must say that p.e. jobs are very hard to come by now days. Expand your search to also include elementart and middle school teaching jobs as well. Good Luck in your search.

I don't have an answer, but I will have. I e-mailed your info to:

> my son who is a middle school vice principal and Athletic director (former coach)

> my daughter who went from engineering to a high school teaching position 4 years ago

> my brother-in-law who is a retired county school superintendent in Middle Tennessee.

I think that one or more of these folks will have info to help you.

OK, my daughter got hired on a transitional license in Wilson County. She says Davidson will not hire you with that. Smaller counties may (Wilson, etc.)

She says PE jobs are already taken by existing coaches, and that you need to get your foot in the door another way. She said the only way you could get on coaching is to know somebody.

Her advice is to pay $100 from your own pocket to take the Praxis and get highly qualified in math or a science. That would open up other opportunities.

(more info as I get it.)

Thank you Charger Fan. I am more so looking for History or even Special Education which I am eligible for Transitional Licenses in those areas as well. I realize PE will be almost impossible to do. Back in 2002 when I went to college, I asked what I needed to do to become a coach/teacher and that is what they told me to do, now that scoop is useless. I went back to the Licensure office and got them to write me a letter of eligibility based on further review of my transcipts which brought forth the History and Special Educ. piece. The coaching thing I am not worried about as that will take care of itself but it is the having a full time job with benefits while I do that so I can take care of my family that matters most. Thank you again for your time.

Yeah that is what I am finding out even though it is a state mandated, state approved program and all school districts are supposed to abide by the program no one seems to care. I will have to figure out how to financially make it happen already being unemployed, have a wife and two kids, etc. It is amazing how jacked up our education system is and the state government that does nothing to fix it. You have a top notch teacher and coach candidate but until someone abides by the program and does the right thing, I am screwed along with many others.

First off, thank you for your service and Semper Fi Brother!

I dont know how sold out you are on staying in TN, but I know for a fact Georgia was desperately hiring on transitional licenses in a big way as recently as a couple years ago. Maybe you could find something down there?

Best of luck to you, Leatherneck.