Tournament Time, HERE WE GO!

akula21

WH 5

Clarksville Academy 0

WH hosts Hume Fogg Tuesday.and CA travels to CPA..

Can I just say something right here? Well I am anyway...

I think it is a crying shame that the voters for district awards (I assume coaches) use that platform to try to get a measure of revenge on a successful program.

Let's set the table here for a second. In district play over the last 4 years WH is 35-1-1 in district 10 A/AA matches with a combined score of 213 to 15. They have won 25 consecutive district matches and have allowed 2 goals in 2 years and none this year. I do understand that WH cannot win every district award, but seriously, no defensive player of the year, and only 1 GK of the year in four years.... Come on man....

It is a travesty to take out your frustrations on teenage girls. I hope you can sleep well at night.

Please understand, I am taking nothing away from the girls who won awards tonight. I am sure they have put a lot of effort into getting where they are and I commend them for it.

Okay I am done let me have it if you think I am wrong.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WH 5

Clarksville Academy 0

I think it is a crying shame that the voters for district awards (I assume coaches) use that platform to try to get a measure of revenge on a successful program.

Let's set the table here for a second. In district play over the last 4 years WH is 35-1-1 in district 10 A/AA matches with a combined score of 213 to 15. They have won 25 consecutive district matches and have allowed 2 goals in 2 years and none this year. I do understand that WH cannot win every district award, but seriously, no defensive player of the year, and only 1 GK of the year in four years.... Come on man....

It is a travesty to take out your frustrations on teenage girls. I hope you can sleep well at night.

Please understand, I am taking nothing away from the girls who won awards tonight. I am sure they have put a lot of effort into getting where they are and I commend them for it.

Booger byin itthumb[1].gif

Well said, DCurtis! I already had my hands together last night to cheer when GK award was given and for the 3rd year I was disgusted. To elaborate on your previous stats: in 4 years these 11 seniors have played 78 games. Won 54, lost 17, and tied 7. They have had an overall total (not including Harpeth and Last nights games) of 313 goals, and only been scored on 84 times. In FOUR years. I truly believe that the skills and talent this group has intimidates players, coaches, and parents(saw it last night). They have fought and worked their butts off and once again last night they were robbed of some things that were WELL deserved. Ya know what though? For them it's ok bc there end goal is in sight and they are ready! #unstoppable #wh

WH 5

Clarksville Academy 0

Stepping down from my position this year so as a (former) voting member the past seven years, let me see if I can tackle this issue. Being in two divisions, I have never been involved in the discussions for the East. We base the awards simply on the divisional games, and I think that is a factor as explained below.

First, I have faith in my fellow coaches that they aren't basing their decisions on spite and jealousy. I think White House has an interesting dilemma being in District 10. As your stats confirm, they are heads and shoulders above the rest of the teams in regards to overall talent. Because they are so balanced and skilled as a team, I don't believe their individual players stand out. There's no doubt that they could pose an argument for every individual award, but I believe it's even more respectable that they don't have one outstanding overall offensive or defensive talent. Thus, when it comes to the awards, I believe we choose to recognize an outstanding season performance for one individual. I would think that Coach Felzien and the girls recognize this as well and are more than happy to lift that Championship plaque together in the end.

In regards to your goalie, we ran into the same dilemma 6 years ago. 13 shutouts and 2 goals against the entire season. Senior goalie who had already previously won Best Keeper. She didn't get worse, just had a really good team in front of her. Didn't get a lot of shots or chances to show how good she was. That year we recognized a girl who was really essential in keeping her team competitive, maybe not the best keeper but she deserved it.

Your arguments are valid, however there is a lot more that goes into the decisions we make. White House is a tremendous team and I don't see them being challenged any time soon. I'm proud to have them in our district because they represent us so well on a state level.

Stepping down from my position this year so as a (former) voting member the past seven years, let me see if I can tackle this issue. Being in two divisions, I have never been involved in the discussions for the East. We base the awards simply on the divisional games, and I think that is a factor as explained below.

First, I have faith in my fellow coaches that they aren't basing their decisions on spite and jealousy. I think White House has an interesting dilemma being in District 10. As your stats confirm, they are heads and shoulders above the rest of the teams in regards to overall talent. Because they are so balanced and skilled as a team, I don't believe their individual players stand out. There's no doubt that they could pose an argument for every individual award, but I believe it's even more respectable that they don't have one outstanding overall offensive or defensive talent. Thus, when it comes to the awards, I believe we choose to recognize an outstanding season performance for one individual. I would think that Coach Felzien and the girls recognize this as well and are more than happy to lift that Championship plaque together in the end.

In regards to your goalie, we ran into the same dilemma 6 years ago. 13 shutouts and 2 goals against the entire season. Senior goalie who had already previously won Best Keeper. She didn't get worse, just had a really good team in front of her. Didn't get a lot of shots or chances to show how good she was. That year we recognized a girl who was really essential in keeping her team competitive, maybe not the best keeper but she deserved it.

Your arguments are valid, however there is a lot more that goes into the decisions we make. White House is a tremendous team and I don't see them being challenged any time soon. I'm proud to have them in our district because they represent us so well on a state level.

Thanks for the feedback MCHS. I do appreciate the candor. I do realize the dilemma and the overall talent discrepancy for the past 4 years.

For the record in 4 years I think the west has pretty much nailed it. It does not seem to be an issue on that side.

And I really do want to stress that this was not about the keeper, but if its not the keeper it's a defender. That was my point.

As a parent who's daughter played on the west side of this district and spent many hours diving in the dirt with WH's keeper during the long hot summer so they could be the best at their position - HOGWASH!! For a fact, there are coaches at that table who will not cast a vote for players at certain schools due to pettiness. I'm with DCurtis on this one 100%!!

Edited by brownde

I am a little geographically challenged, can you all fill me in in what the separation of your district is?

We have 13 teams in our district. (14 during boys season) Coaches made the decision that instead of using 12 of their allotted 16 games for district competitions, we would split into two divisions, East and West, essentially split by Interstate 24. When tournament time comes around, we cross-bracket. Best team in the east plays the worst team in the west and so on.

East: East Robertson, Greenbrier, Macon County, Merrol Hyde, White House, White House-Heritage, Westmoreland (Boys only)

West: Cheatham County, Clarksville Academy, Creek Wood, Harpeth, Montgomery Central, Sycamore, Waverly

Unless they remap the district lines, don't foresee any changes coming in November. But have heard thru the rumor mill that Stewart County, Jo Byrns, and McEwen all have interest in teams. This could potentially give us 17 teams. Heaven forbid.

DCurtis would have to fill in the blanks...

West

MVP: Alex Gibbs (Harpeth)

Offensive MVP: Cierra Adams (Montgomery Central)

Defensive MVP: Mikayla Flake (Montgomery Central)

Best Goalkeeper: Shelby Chapman (Clarksville Academy)

Coach: Mary Beth Burchett (Clarksville Academy)

East

MVP: ??? (White House)

Offensive MVP: ???

Defensive MVP: ???

Best Goalkeeper: ??? (Macon County)

Coach: Jason Bentley (Merrol Hyde)

DCurtis would have to fill in the blanks...

West

MVP: Alex Gibbs (Harpeth)

Offensive MVP: Cierra Adams (Montgomery Central)

Defensive MVP: Mikayla Flake (Montgomery Central)

Best Goalkeeper: Shelby Chapman (Clarksville Academy)

Coach: Mary Beth Burchett (Clarksville Academy)

East

MVP: Brooke Thompson WHHS Sr. Midfielder

Offensive MVP: Kendall Morrison WHHS Sr. Forward

Defensive MVP: ??? (Merrol Hyde)

Best Goalkeeper: ??? (Macon County)

Coach: Jason Bentley (Merrol Hyde)

Edited for what I know...