Division II-A schools, any moving back to Division I

Indian

Are any of these schools thinking of playing back in Division I? There is some discussion in the Class A forum about how those under a certain number would be guaranteed of not being pushed into Class AA/3A even with a multiplier in effect. My guess is it would be SBEC and everyone below. They'd still have to comply with the financial aid rules for Division I.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are any of these schools thinking of playing back in Division I? There is some discussion in the Class A forum about how those under a certain number would be guaranteed of not being pushed into Class AA/3A even with a multiplier in effect. My guess is it would be SBEC and everyone below. They'd still have to comply with the financial aid rules for Division I.

I have no idea whether any of these schools are considering a move, but it seems to me that denial of financial aid to athletes (which would be necessary to jump to Division 1) would require a fundamental mission change at any school. I would be very surprised if football (or any other sport) will change the mission of any of these schools.

Edited by RedRobin

I have been told that it was announced to the student body at JCS that they are coming back to D1. Also heard Rossville Christian was going to move as well and has already asked the TSSAA to be placed with 15A teams, not the Memphis district.

Oh,happy day!!!By all means necessary place them in 15A,so we can each look forward to a long roadtrip,and another eventualy strong private to deal with(over the years 15A has "broken in" Old Hickory Academy/USJ,JCS,Trinity,and started on Sacred Heart).All have gone from terrible to state champs in one sport or another,save Sacred Heart,and they've only been in TSSAA for one season.Jackson now has enough privates to form an entire region,especially if Rossville and Fayett Academy are added so why do they(mostly) insist on playing the publics?Add to the fact that they hold a built in advantage geographicly,our kids have to endure the insult of being looked down upon as hicks and rednecks.I can't count the times that I've seen"tractor parking in rear"signs and heard from the kids about much more harsh messages in the locker rooms.

Wonder why USJ did not opt back into Div I with new classification rules. Strict enrollment numbers would have put them in class 1A multiplied up to 3A. With new rules, would have stayed in 2A in football, Single A in all other sports. Trader, you would have been singing the blues then----that district would be loaded.

Oh,happy day!!!By all means necessary place them in 15A,so we can each look forward to a long roadtrip,and another eventualy strong private to deal with(over the years 15A has "broken in" Old Hickory Academy/USJ,JCS,Trinity,and started on Sacred Heart).All have gone from terrible to state champs in one sport or another,save Sacred Heart,and they've only been in TSSAA for one season.Jackson now has enough privates to form an entire region,especially if Rossville and Fayett Academy are added so why do they(mostly) insist on playing the publics?Add to the fact that they hold a built in advantage geographicly,our kids have to endure the insult of being looked down upon as hicks and rednecks.I can't count the times that I've seen"tractor parking in rear"signs and heard from the kids about much more harsh messages in the locker rooms.

Rossville is staying in DII and there was never any discussion about FA moving to DI. The truth is that neither of those schools offer financial aid (like JCS who is moving back to DI) so it makes sense for them to not want to be in a league where everyone else is playing by a different set of rules than them. I wouldn't blame them for playing DI.

Oh,happy day!!!By all means necessary place them in 15A,so we can each look forward to a long roadtrip,and another eventualy strong private to deal with(over the years 15A hl.as "broken in" Old Hickory Academy/USJ,JCS,Trinity,and started on Sacred Heart).All have gone from terrible to state champs in one sport or another,save Sacred Heart,and they've only been in TSSAA for one season.Jackson now has enough privates to form an entire region,especially if Rossville and Fayett Academy are added so why do they(mostly) insist on playing the publics?Add to the fact that they hold a built in advantage geographicly,our kids have to endure the insult of being looked down upon as hicks and rednecks.I can't count the times that I've seen"tractor parking in rear"signs and heard from the kids about much more harsh messages in the locker rooms.

If I remember correctly, you are a fan of Scotts Hill. Would that be correct? Please tell us exactly what schools have had "tractor parking in rear" signs displayed while hosting your school. Exactly which schools had messages posted in locker rooms that were harsh and insulting to your team? Provide some proof. As far as your whining about "long road trips" to Jackson, I guess that it is just a short hop, skip, and a jump to travel down to Scotts Hill to play a game for most of the teams in 15A. It's alot further drive to play Middleton than it is to play in Jackson so stop your whining.

As far as you claiming that the privates mostly insist on playing publics, the team I support plays the publics in 15A because they are in our district. We also schedule other privates to play outside of district play and play other publics in non district games too. Why? Because we scedule them and they schedule us. You don't wan't to play privates, don't schedule them. It's as simple as that.

From the article in the paper it seems like everyone at USJ is happy where they are. Though there are some good programs in 2A, it would've been a step down in competition from DII-A.

Plus, the reality is they could change the rules again in four years.

In Football, are you really trying to say that that teams like Tipton Rosmark, Rossville Christian and some others are better competition for USJ? That's funny right there.

There are good teams in DII-A and there are cupcakes too. Same applies to 2A football in D1 in West Tennessee.

Wonder why USJ did not opt back into Div I with new classification rules. Strict enrollment numbers would have put them in class 1A multiplied up to 3A. With new rules, would have stayed in 2A in football, Single A in all other sports. Trader, you would have been singing the blues then----that district would be loaded.

Been there,done that.I actually enjoyed playing USJ when they were in 15A,good competition makes you better.I didn't enjoy paying more for admission,drinks,snacks,ect...than the publics charge at USJ and have y'all "return the favor" by lugging coolers filled with food and drinks into our gym,and refusing to patronize our concessions.I didn't enjoy seeing hometown kids upset by degrading,slanderous messages left them in their dressing rooms by snooty,offensive teenagers.All in all I'd rather all the West Tn. privates man-up and go DII,there's enough to reasnably fill a schedule with no more mileage involved than 15A travels for games.Go/stay in the division with programs you hold no advantage over,and leave us rednecks and hillbillys to compete amongst ourselves.