Harriman Blue Devils

bluedevils3563

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bluedevil what did the article say? Can you post a link for us to go read it?

I have talked with a few coaches that say Harriman could be built into one of the top single A programs in the state if they just had better coaching. Seems like that job could generate a lot of interest.

Harriman has always been very talent rich, just the past 8 years at least it's not been used worth anything... 2010 they had a team that could've competed for a gold ball or at least going to the semis, they went 5-6 with a first round loss to an average team in Copper Basin. That's just one of many examples. People always make excuses for what's been wrong with this team, but excuses are over! There are teams all the time that go through the same situations as Harriman goes through... It can be solved and they can be competitive!

Can't remember which year Tapp started, whether it was 2002 or 2003.. If he started in 03 then he has a 45-55 record as the harriman head coach, if 02 then 45-65. I know the first couple of seasons were rough because of his district he was placed in.. But ever since we've been in 1A there is NO EXCUSE for the mediocrity surrounding this program!

I will agree with this letter somewhat. But, the one thing that I will say is little league is much different from high school. The man in the letter said he & other guys had coached these boys since they were 4 years old. That really means nothing, there isn't a whole lot of coaching in little league football, you give the ball to your best player and see what he can do. If they teach them how to block and tackle the proper way then they have done a good job. Unfortunately most dads don't teach the correct fundamentals & kids develop bad habits by playing little league.

But i will reiterate that from everything I hear & looking at the win loss record it is probably time for a fresh start for those young men at Harriman. They might try harder for a new coach that brings in new ideas and a more exciting offense.

Good Luck Harriman

He is paid to coach, it is a job that he has taken upon himself. If you under perform at any job even wal mart they will fire you. Why should Travis Tapp be any different? In my opinion he has under performed since he got there.

There isn't much of an explanation except the same poor play calling. I personally will never go to a game as long as Travis Tapp is a coach again. It makes me sick watching kids being coached by such poor coaching. I absolutely agree with the Column that was in the Roane County news by Greg Love.

He is absolutely NOT paid to coach. He is paid as an educator. Being a coach of any sport is only supplemental pay. I'm willing to bet his coaching stipend is about 10-15% of his teaching salary. Derek Dooley is paid to coach, not high school guys.

Harriman has also struggled recently in other sports:

Basketball record last year--9-19

Baseball record last year--6-23

WHY????? Most likely because most of the same athletes are participating in all 3 major sports.

If you look at their athletic programs in the previous few years they were pretty dang good:

2008-2009: Basketball(14-16) Lost in Regional Tournament

Baseball--Dist. Champs...Lost in Regional Semi

Football 7-5 Lost in Quarter Finals

2009-2010: Basketball(20-11) State Tournament Appearance

Baseball(18-17) State Tournament Appearance

Football 5-6 Lost in 1st round of play-offs

2010-2011: Basketball(23-8) Lost in Sub-state game

Baseball(14-18) Lost in Sub-state game

Football 3-7

It is cyclical. Always has been. Just part of small public HS sports.

Coaches coach and players play. A good run of athletes will make a group of coaches look very smart. A run of not so good athletes will..........well you know the rest.

hey guys im on tapps side not going to get on here and argue about it just want to ask a uick question

what harriman guys have went to rockwood and kingston to get away from harriman

most starters are out of district guys

im on a college scholorship to play ball zoned for kingston went to harriman

my brother starts both ways as a freshmen zoned for Kingston

three linemen who are freshmen who start are zoned for kingston, rockwood, and oakdale

just clearing that up

go big blue

He is absolutely NOT paid to coach. He is paid as an educator. Being a coach of any sport is only supplemental pay. I'm willing to bet his coaching stipend is about 10-15% of his teaching salary. Derek Dooley is paid to coach, not high school guys.

Harriman has also struggled recently in other sports:

Basketball record last year--9-19

Baseball record last year--6-23

WHY????? Most likely because most of the same athletes are participating in all 3 major sports.

If you look at their athletic programs in the previous few years they were pretty dang good:

2008-2009: Basketball(14-16) Lost in Regional Tournament

Baseball--Dist. Champs...Lost in Regional Semi

Football 7-5 Lost in Quarter Finals

2009-2010: Basketball(20-11) State Tournament Appearance

Baseball(18-17) State Tournament Appearance

Football 5-6 Lost in 1st round of play-offs

2010-2011: Basketball(23-8) Lost in Sub-state game

Baseball(14-18) Lost in Sub-state game

Football 3-7

It is cyclical. Always has been. Just part of small public HS sports.

Coaches coach and players play. A good run of athletes will make a group of coaches look very smart. A run of not so good athletes will..........well you know the rest.

I am not taking up for the coach,i personally dont think he gets the most out of the kids you all have,but you do have to consider they play in the toughest 1a-2a district in Tn.GCA-GB-RW you get beat up pretty good in this district.

Travis Tapp forgot more football yesterday than many men will ever know. He has been a fine coach for alot of years not only at Harriman but also at Oakdale. He has done more to develop young men in a positive way than most men could ever hope to. He is a fine coach who is a positive role model for young people. It sometimes is easy to blast the efforts of those when times are lean, especially when the things are going bad on Friday night. Coach Tapp and his staff will be working just as hard when things are going well or bad. Harriman is lucky to have him. He took the job when Harriman was in the middle of a very lean time, brought them back to respectability, and will get them through this rough patch.