York @ Smith County

glover

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are exactly right croz.I been saying this all year.Manning gets 10-12 carries a game.Sometimes I just don't understand the coaching!!!

Have you ever though that of those 15 carries Manning went for a 60 yard TD and the mercy rule was in effect. He had 25 carries against Gordonsville, 23 against Dekalb. Do soime back ground check before you make a statement.

The win last week was much needed for this owls team! Some of the boys were ready for the season to be over, but I talked to some of them the other day and they have a different mindset now, believing in themselves. We built up a lot of confidence last game, we will use that to get a big W Friday night.

Go Big Owls!!!

Thanks OriginalSC3. Yours was our worst beat down last year. 2-8 is never fun.

What travel route would yall recommend from Jamestown to Carthage? This'll be my first time over there. And are there any local fare non-chain restaurants in Carthage that I shouldn't miss?

Take 62 to Monterey and get on I40 west. Get off at Carthage/Gordonsville (258) exit. Turn right off the interstate onto 53 north. I recommend "the Timberloft" restaurant. Good sit down local place. It's right off the interstate on your left. Continue on 53 north (which turns into hwy 25), cross river, and turn left at the first red light you come across. Walmart will be on right. Continue through town and turn right when you get to sonic. School is up on the hill and field is down in "the hole". Find ya a spot on the street.

Take 62 to Monterey and get on I40 west. Get off at Carthage/Gordonsville (258) exit. Turn right off the interstate onto 53 north. I recommend "the Timberloft" restaurant. Good sit down local place. It's right off the interstate on your left. Continue on 53 north (which turns into hwy 25), cross river, and turn left at the first red light you come across. Walmart will be on right. Continue through town and turn right when you get to sonic. School is up on the hill and field is down in "the hole". Find ya a spot on the street.

You are so good with directions!! Hahaha...as far as the veer goes the SC knows how to stop the veer. That is offense we used to run back in the good ole days of 99-02 haha. The veer shouldn't worry the coaches, it's those 3 dudes in the backfield who run it pretty good. I'm going to make my first prediction this year and I'm going to say the Owls win 41-14

I HATE the veer and wish we'd run anything else.

Thanks for the great directions and food recommendation!

The veer is very hard to stop. DISCIPLINE is the key to stopping it. Players have to take responsibility of their own position EVERY play. "Peep" in the backfield while on defense and you are beat. You have to stop the FB (the first option). If not, he will pick up yards all night. Someone has the QB,( second option). If you don't tackle the QB he will keep the ball and eat you up. You have to stop the pitch man(3rd option) or he will be outside and down the sidelines. If ANY player does not fulfill his responsibility, you won't stop the veer. YAIFan- you say you don't like the veer, you guys have put a lot of points on the board and have a 7-2 record this year, seems like the veer has been go to you folks. Be careful coming to the HOLE!

I believe the points and the record are more reflective of the athletic abilities of the kids than the scheme itself. The veer requires excellent blocking (5 seniors on offensive line this year) and is prone to turnovers pitching the ball so much.

The veer treated us to 2-8 last year with pretty much the same kids running it. They're all bigger, faster and stronger thus the turn around. We did gain an amazing running back from another school and we are darn glad to have him!

The veer is very hard to stop. DISCIPLINE is the key to stopping it. Players have to take responsibility of their own position EVERY play. "Peep" in the backfield while on defense and you are beat. You have to stop the FB (the first option). If not, he will pick up yards all night. Someone has the QB,( second option). If you don't tackle the QB he will keep the ball and eat you up. You have to stop the pitch man(3rd option) or he will be outside and down the sidelines. If ANY player does not fulfill his responsibility, you won't stop the veer. YAIFan- you say you don't like the veer, you guys have put a lot of points on the board and have a 7-2 record thisear, seems like the veer has been go to you folks. Be careful coming to the HOLE!

I agree. Marion County ran the "veer" to 3 or 4 State Championships in the 90's and they were in our District. It is a tough scheme to contain especially when you have the rb's( Eric Westmoreland) in the backfield. True, you might be open to turnovers but when it "clicking" it is hard to stop!