1A Quad 3

TheNewGuy

It's the weakest Quad 3 has been under this system. For the first time, there are no undefeated teams in the quad. In 2009 and 2011 there were actually 2 undefeated teams. Until this year, no 8-2 team had received a bye in quad 3, and last year 8-2 Collinwood would have had the 5th best record (counting PC's vacated wins). It's also the first time the quad has included multiple teams with a losing record.

It should be an interesting quad, but none of these teams have much chance of winning the state title. Just getting to the title game is unlikely, although not impossible, given that 1A ball seems to be "down" in the West this year too.

Yep, it's pretty bad....last years combined record of the teams were 48-12 (3 district/region champs and a "9-1" PC team). This year....36-24.

I think wildcatalumni laid it out about as good as you can. The only good thing for Quad 3 is someone gets to make a run to the semis but then that will be it I am afraid.

Collinwood's defense has improved over the course of the season to the point I think they could play with anyone...the other teams have been insanely inconsistent

Well you can't have a Gordonsville in every quad.

People from that area wasnt saying that last year.Everyone from PC,Wayne Co and etc.was downing Quad 4 last year.I said last year that things will even out and maybe next year Quad 3 may get the better draw with no Huntingdon,Union City and West Carrol.Compared to Quad 4 lastt year,Quad 3 this year looks like a lot of middle school teams.

People from that area wasnt saying that last year.Everyone from PC,Wayne Co and etc.was downing Quad 4 last year.I said last year that things will even out and maybe next year Quad 3 may get the better draw with no Huntingdon,Union City and West Carrol.Compared to Quad 4 lastt year,Quad 3 this year looks like a lot of middle school teams.

Let's compare them seed-by-seed:

2012 Quad 3 vs. 2011 Quad 4

Collinwood 8-2 v. Lake County 7-3

Clarksville Academy 8-2 v. West Carroll 6-4

Nashville Christian 8-2 v. Gleason 5-5

Jo Byrns 5-5 v. Union City 4-6

Wayne County 4-6 v. MAHS 4-6

McEwen 3-7 v. South Fulton 4-6

It's not even close. 2011 Quad 4 was one of the weakest 6- or 8-team brackets in the 40+ year history of the playoffs. Only 2 above-.500 records, 1 district runner-up, no 8-game winners. Just bad.

2012 Quad 3 has 2 district champions, 3 8-game winners, the defending state champion, and the '08 & '10 state runner-up. In fact, I'm not even convinced Quad 4 is better than Quad 3 this year. As I have said, quad 3 is a lot weaker than it has been over the last few years, but it's not that bad...

Edited by 1RT

Well said 1rt.

I just don't think that the TSSAA does a very good job of balancing the Quads out. I know that it is a milage thing but don't put all of the strongest teams in the same quad. Last year quad 3 was loaded up and quad 4 was weak. This year quad 4 is loaded up and quad 3 is weak. Why not move a couple teams around to balance it out? Last year Huntingdon, PC, Clarksville Acad and Wayne County were all together and this year Huntingdon is in Quad 4. PC & Huntingdon have been back and forth from quad 3 to quad 4 over the years so just use boarder teams to balance them out. Columbia Acad is in regon 6 until the playoffs then they go to quad 2 to play (which is ok) so just mix things up sometimes and balance things out.

Lol....come on man....

+1 to 1RT

That's a terrible comparison. The quad 3 records are much better than Quad 4 last year. Good grief.