West at Powell

WestHigh4Life

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with West last year was all coaching. And by coaching I mean playcalling. West needs to run a spread but that will never happen with cummings.

The veer is definitely unique, and it forces a defense to be disciplined on every single snap. Other than West, I'm not aware of any Knox-area teams that run it anymore (other than Catholic), which in a way gives West an advantage simply because an opposing defense has just one week to prepare for it. That being said, it will be interesting to see how Coach Rang prepares the Powell defense, since he saw it in practice regularly when he was at West. I also expect Cummings to throw in a few wrinkles this week.

It seems like most teams are running the spread now, and I think West would be very successful if they switched to it in the future. They certainly have the athletes for it. Most schools that continue to utilize the veer tend to be "undersized," which doesn't appear to be an issue for West.

Edited by osunut2

West will run mostly veer as long as Scott Cummings is the coach. Two straight semifinals is pretty darn good if you ask me. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Especially since you don't have a qb on the squad for next year. QB will be Seth Marshall, which will mean even more veer. He is a great athlete but qb is not his natural position. What people don't realize is that the "spread" with the shotgun, one back, inside read play: That is the veer out of shotgun.

Edited by ORidgeKat

Yea, Kat is right. Maryville runs the veer regularly out of shotgun. It's different than right up on the line though. And two straight semifinals is awesome, but before the last three years it didn't work so well. I wish they went to an I or spread every now and then atleast. Just to have it if the veer doesn't work. If the veer doesn't work, there is nothing they can do because they don't have anything to go to.

Yea, Kat is right. Maryville runs the veer regularly out of shotgun. It's different than right up on the line though. And two straight semifinals is awesome, but before the last three years it didn't work so well. I wish they went to an I or spread every now and then atleast. Just to have it if the veer doesn't work. If the veer doesn't work, there is nothing they can do because they don't have anything to go to.

I'm sure things will be a lot different this time around, but they couldn't do anything out of the veer against Powell last year. Here's hoping that Powell's front seven can get in the backfield like they did last year.

I'm sure things will be a lot different this time around, but they couldn't do anything out of the veer against Powell last year. Here's hoping that Powell's front seven can get in the backfield like they did last year.

Last year, Powell LB Colby Skeen drilled the West QB in the back on the first play of the game and it seemed like it set the tone for the entire game. It looked like Francis heard footsteps for quite a while after that. The Panther defense was relentless that entire game. If Devin Scott, Sharron Moore, and the rest of the defensive front can apply that kind of pressure Friday, it will be a long night for the Rebels.

Go Panthers!

Actually what Francis was hearing was the Powell defense simulating the snap count all night. That;s why West had so many penalties on offense that prevented them from ever getting on track. The refs finally called it iate in the game, but it was way too late, then they kept on doing it. If anybody doesn't believe that was exactly what was going on, then go ask your own coach. I talked to Derek Rang himself about that at length after last years game. Remember,he was on West sidleline for that one, Go ahead, ask him.

Actually what Francis was hearing was the Powell defense simulating the snap count all night. That;s why West had so many penalties on offense that prevented them from ever getting on track. The refs finally called it iate in the game, but it was way too late, then they kept on doing it. If anybody doesn't believe that was exactly what was going on, then go ask your own coach. I talked to Derek Rang himself about that at length after last years game. Remember,he was on West sidleline for that one, Go ahead, ask him.

I have talked with him about it, and he told me something completely different from what you post. There was a lot of emotion right after that game. There were a lot of things said that just weren't accurate.

Bottom line - Powell was more physical in that game. It wasn't because of simulation of any signals.

That said, this is a completely different Powell team this year from that Powell team. That game has no bearing on this week's game. West is an outstanding football team. Powell will have to play very well to advance.