CAK (12-1) vs Elizabethton (11-2)

Govolsknox

Some interesting stats for CAK fans:

Charlie High is currently ranked 5th in the nation with a completion % of .764, 4314 yds passing, avg of 332 yds per game, 48 TD's and 7 interceptions, and a QB ranking of 140. http://www.unapproved website....ng/national.htm

CAK receiver, Davis Howell, needs 17 catches to break the national record for career receptions. He has had several 13 reception games including 13 against Alcoa last Friday. The Warriors also have 2 other outstanding receivers in Franklin Murchison with 915 yds and 14 TD's, while UT commitment Josh Smith has 960 yds and 12 TD's even after missing 6 weeks of the regular season with a broken collar bone.

CAK running back Corey Rathbone has over 1000 yds on the ground, not to mention what he adds to the passing game and on defense at OLB. He averages over 7 yds a carry, and maybe most impressive is that he averages scoring a TD every 6.2 carries. He has 26 TD's on the year.

The Warrior offensive line has been intact for 2 years now. The offensive line is as good of a pass blocking offensive line as there likely is in the state of TN. It is anchored by UT commitment Brett Kendrick (6-5, 285) and outstanding junior prospect Patrick Dalton (6-5.5, 305).

CAK is currently ranked 2nd in the state in points scored this year with 591, but is within striking distance of #1 DB with 630 points this year.

http://www.johnsonci...e.php?id=103437

That pretty much puts it in perspective. CAK has two UT commitments, a nationally ranked quarterback, NFL sized lineman, likely the state's highest scoring offense, a receiver getting ready to break a national record, are the defending state champions, and probably already have a space cleared in the trophy case for their next gold ball. Very few public 3-A schools have had that level of talent on one team, have set those kind of records, or have won a state championship in their histories. CAK has thrown it together in a relatively short time. I would say we have the makings of another private football factory. Can anyone tell I advocate for a complete public/private split? It looks like David vs. Goliath to me. Sorry CAK, you are Goliath....lol! Betsy is the underdog. As a former athlete and coach, these were the kind of games I loved to be in. There is nothing to lose Betsy and you have a chance to achieve greatness. Fearlessly throw everything you have at this Knoxville juggernaut and leave it all on the field so there will be no regrets. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pretty much puts it in perspective. CAK has two UT commitments, a nationally ranked quarterback, NFL sized lineman, likely the state's highest scoring offense, a receiver getting ready to break a national record, are the defending state champions, and probably already have a space cleared in the trophy case for their next gold ball. Very few public 3-A schools have had that level of talent on one team, have set those kind of records, or have won a state championship in their histories. CAK has thrown it together in a relatively short time. I would say we have the makings of another private football factory. Can anyone tell I advocate for a complete public/private split? It looks like David vs. Goliath to me. Sorry CAK, you are Goliath....lol! Betsy is the underdog. As a former athlete and coach, these were the kind of games I loved to be in. There is nothing to lose Betsy and you have a chance to achieve greatness. Fearlessly throw everything you have at this Knoxville juggernaut and leave it all on the field so there will be no regrets. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

In case you are interested in knowing, the starters on this team, including High, Smith, Murchinson, Howell, and many many more have been at CAK since elementary. In fairness, the OL Kendrick transferred from Grace and sat a year, as did the RB Rathbone who came from Maryville. The same kids that were lighting it up last Friday were lighting it up in middle school lol. It is unusual for any school not named Alcoa to have as much high level TN HS football talent as CAK does at this particular time. Sometimes it just all comes together. CAK has not been blessed with a lot of transfers into our program. In fact, I have been surprised and a little disappointed that we haven't had more given our success the last few years. I guess it has to do with cost and other options at very good public programs in the area (Bearden, Maryville, Farragut, etc) as well as several other private options (Webb, Catholic, Grace) that has watered down the potential transfers. For instance, we have seen a lot more transfers to and from the local metro public schools that to CAK. In one example, the QB for Austin East (Oggs) transferred to Alcoa last year and might have been the difference in beating CAK in the semi's if he had stayed at AE. With No Child Left Behind, Magnet schools, guardianship, etc, there are a more transfers to and from publics around Knoxville than there has been influx to CAK. At least so far.

Having said all that, I expect a really hard fought game with Etown and worry about an Alcoa hangover. But I do agree with you, CAK is and should be the favorite. The offense's biggest concern is not the opponent, but stopping itself. On defense, CRB has options to slow down Betsy if needed. Of course, that's all on paper and that's why they play the game. I really enjoyed the atmosphere on my last trip to Elizabethton and I can't wait for Friday. Good teams, good football, great atmosphere! Should be an excellent night!

Edited by Govolsknox

Well, Alcoa certainly has won a bunch of state championships and has had teams with at least as much, if not more, talent than last year's and this year's CAK team. You seem to assume that CAK's success must be due to something other than hard work and a little luck--perhaps you're implying that CAK "recruits" players, perhaps that's not what you're implying.

I can tell you from personal knowledge that the overwhelming majority of CAK's current starters have been at CAK since early in their schooling, elementary school for some, since middle school for others, going back to the years when CAK's football program was in its infancy and nobody ever dreamed they would ever have a chance to compete for championships. My son is a current starter who has been at CAK since Kindergarten.

It's not ok for a private school that does NOT give athletic scholarships to have success two years in a row, success that, realistically, likely will not be repeated next year due to graduations, etc., but yet it's OK for an open zone enrollment public school like Alcoa to win 7 straight championships in a row? I would have imagined that people would actually LIKE the fact that somebody is finally able to give Alcoa a little consistent competition. But it seems many of you would prefer get rid of CAK and go back to just having Alcoa kick your teeth in every year.

If you want to be consistent with your logic, I assume you'll advocate for open zone enrollment public schools to be put into the "private" division, since they take athletes from outside their geographic school district for nominal "tuition" that is MUCH lower than the cost per student that school district pays to operate the school, i.e., a family that doesn't pay taxes in that district can send their kid to that school WITHOUT paying taxes there, for only a few hundred dollars "tuition." How is that any different from being a private school?

Edited by Warriors2011

I never said a word about Alcoa. The public/private debate never leads anywhere and currently TSSAA allows non-tuition privates to compete against publics for championships. I would prefer a split, but I cannot change it. I see my statement hit a few raw nerves. You made the assumptions and insinuations yourself and offered a defensive rationale for charges that were not made. Sometimes examining one's own anger can be an enlightening experience. I hope it is a clean competitive game.

Let me redeem myself a little with the fine folks at Elizabethton. I admit I am greatly impressed with the offensive fire power of this CAK team. But I in no way mean to imply any direspect for the Cyclones. Tremendous admiration for the tenacity and sheer toughness of this year's team at the Betsy. If you can hang with CAK you can contend with anyone in the State.

My concern is that some (primarily other parts of the State) tend to become over confident about their ability against teams of this calibur. I remember Goodpasture going undefeated several years with hugh linemen and unbelievable stats thinking they could handle Alcoa. Everytime Alcoa slaughtered them at the State Championship game. They weren't even close. This CAK team is on the same level. I still cannot believe they beat Alcoa. Alcoa is a top five team in the State, along with Maryville, Whitehaven, Ensworth & Siegel(?). CAK has beaten Alcoa three out of the last four meetings. CAK is that good!

If the Cyclones can keep them under 30- you should be very proud. I just don't see it! But that's why you play it on the field. On paper they should kill you! Prove me wrong! Go Cyclones!!! Will be watching on the internet in Murfreesboro.

P.S. I think public tuition schools should play in a division with the privates.

Edited by oldhick76

Private this ....opened-zoned that....who cares? Let's line up and play football! I can't wait for Friday!

:thumb: Couldn't agree more. Yes, we've got a lot of offensive talent (most of it graduates after this year) but we aren't physically intimidating (other than the 2 big O tackles). If they walked around with their shirts off you would think they were surfers, ha. Betsy will be able to account for themselves I'm sure. Regardless of who wins, this should be a very entertaining game.

Let me redeem myself a little with the fine folks at Elizabethton. I admit I am greatly impressed with the offensive fire power of this CAK team. But I in no way mean to imply any direspect for the Cyclones. Tremendous admiration for the tenacity and sheer toughness of this year's team at the Betsy. If you can hang with CAK you can contend with anyone in the State.

My concern is that some (primarily other parts of the State) tend to become over confident about their ability against teams of this calibur. I remember Goodpasture going undefeated several years with hugh linemen and unbelievable stats thinking they could handle Alcoa. Everytime Alcoa slaughtered them at the State Championship game. They weren't even close. This CAK team is on the same level. I still cannot believe they beat Alcoa. Alcoa is a top five team in the State, along with Maryville, Whitehaven, Ensworth & Siegel(?). CAK has beaten Alcoa three out of the last four meetings. CAK is that good!

If the Cyclones can keep them under 30- you should be very proud. I just don't see it! But that's why you play it on the field. On paper they should kill you! Prove me wrong! Go Cyclones!!! Will be watching on the internet in Murfreesboro.

P.S. I think public tuition schools should play in a division with the privates.

Nice post OH76, but I guess I will have to bring that Ridgewood BQ back to my Alcoa buddies since you are pulling for the Cyclones, :D:hungry:

I never said a word about Alcoa. The public/private debate never leads anywhere and currently TSSAA allows non-tuition privates to compete against publics for championships. I would prefer a split, but I cannot change it. I see my statement hit a few raw nerves. You made the assumptions and insinuations yourself and offered a defensive rationale for charges that were not made. Sometimes examining one's own anger can be an enlightening experience. I hope it is a clean competitive game.

You're not going to charge me for that psychoanalysis are you? I first have to make sure you're on my insurance network. ;) FYI, I don't have any raw nerves, or any anger, at least not about football. But your description of CAK's quick success certainly sounded a LOT like the typical whining we hear about how "all privates recruit." Here's what you said:

"Very few public 3-A schools have had that level of talent on one team, have set those kind of records, or have won a state championship in their histories. CAK has thrown it together in a relatively short time. I would say we have the makings of another private football factory."

Open zone public schools, like Alcoa and Maryville just to name a few (there are several others), could easily be considered "public football factories." My question was whether you would put them in the private division or the public division of your ideal classification system.