List of Schools that SP tried to schedule

TonyHorton91281

It takes two to have a cat fight. I know Vickie and Becky have a sorrid past, the details of which I neither know or care to know. It's still a petty and childish reason to end what has been and could have continued to be a good rivalry and good money game. Maybe you got enough donors in South Pitt to support the program, but believe it or not, we don't on Signal. We depend on good gate receipts. Do you even know how much it costs to recondition equipment, buy uniforms, pay for travel, and maintain a field and stadium these days? Fortunately, we were able to add Red Bank to our schedule, which will be a better rivalry and gate.

If the wheels are coming off up on the Mountain, it is only so we can grease the bearings and put on bigger tires.

Good luck with your schedule.

Yes, I have an idea of how much it takes to keep up a team. We have been doing it a lot longer than you Sissy Mtn boys. Believe it or not, we have had other "Big Gate" games before you guys came along. Sounds like you are worried about the Signal gate. If so, get hold of Alcoa or Maryville. I bet you guys could get a real good rivalry going with Red Bank and Baylor. Our problem is the depth issues that it takes to play the bigger schools 3 or 4 deep at every position. It isn't only about money which I realize is a hard concept for the Porche crowd up there in the clouds.

i'd like to see a SP - Calhoun GA matchup

Look at the enrollment numbers AND the program. SP has had 2 1a schools on their schedule over the past 4 regular seasons and that has a dramatic impact on playoff seeding. They haven't had that many 2a schools on the schedule those 4 years either and the ones they did were Boyd, GCA, Jasper, Signal Mtn (played 2 years in 2a and 2 in 4a).

Edited by rlh

I know that, but if you're gonna stoop to calling MJCA you ought to have to play the Calhoun's of the world

It's not stooping to find another opponent of any caliber. What team are you with? Do you play an "weaker" opponents?

Some of the opponents on this list were already full schedule and some just flat said no. One of the problems is they tell us no, but play an even better opponent thinking that game would be easier. I guess I understand, better to lose and be closer to home than travel across state and lose. The problem we face is we have 35-40 kids each year. We have Freshman and Sophmores that play, and if they don't, then they play JV. So they get a little playing time on both. We have a sophmore RB that is quick as lightning and I assure you will score 2 or 3 times on most all JV's, maybe even varsity. I can't tell you guys enough, from top to bottom we got kids that can flat run and score. When we play bigger teams that sub 3-4 guys in every play on the line and in the backfield it wears us down. When you are tired you are more likely to get injured. So its pick your poison. Schedule who you can regardless of size of school and caliber of team and risk getting worn down and hurt then be down to nothing but those freshman and sophmores.... or play in your region, try to play teams on the same level as you as close to possible, or travel. But when you travel you don't want to set yourself up for defeat... as I stated above to teams not wanting to travel to us.

I truly believe SP wouldn't care as much if it didn't have playoff implications. If you lose 1 game in your region, then lose 2 or 3 of the other non region games (higher classification teams), what good does it do??? You may not make the playoffs in todays system!!!

I like slimshady's idea about getting Haslam involved. I hear is deeply involved in UT hiring Chucky (hopefully).

i'd like to see a SP - Calhoun GA matchup

you guys are missing the point.

1. SoPitt traditionally plays up in class. I think that was the coaches decision , in years past, in order to get our boys ready for tough completion in the playoffs. We won some we lost some, but we won the district and were rewarded a bye and 2 or 3 playoff home games.

2. TSSAA changed their playoff formula. Now those upper class losses means you will get a lower seed, play 1st week of playoffs against a team that is going to be humiliated (Columbia Academy) and then travel for the rest of the playoffs.

3. That formula then means other schools then will not play you fearing a loss that will affect their seeding. (Grundy)

If they are not going to consider strength of schedule, then at least cut the number of districts by half. That forces us and other teams (Silverdale) to play more 1A and 2A teams.

I don't know the answer, I just know TSSAA is the problem.

It's not stooping to find another opponent of any caliber. What team are you with? Do you play an "weaker" opponents?

Some of the opponents on this list were already full schedule and some just flat said no. One of the problems is they tell us no, but play an even better opponent thinking that game would be easier. I guess I understand, better to lose and be closer to home than travel across state and lose. The problem we face is we have 35-40 kids each year. We have Freshman and Sophmores that play, and if they don't, then they play JV. So they get a little playing time on both. We have a sophmore RB that is quick as lightning and I assure you will score 2 or 3 times on most all JV's, maybe even varsity. I can't tell you guys enough, from top to bottom we got kids that can flat run and score. When we play bigger teams that sub 3-4 guys in every play on the line and in the backfield it wears us down. When you are tired you are more likely to get injured. So its pick your poison. Schedule who you can regardless of size of school and caliber of team and risk getting worn down and hurt then be down to nothing but those freshman and sophmores.... or play in your region, try to play teams on the same level as you as close to possible, or travel. But when you travel you don't want to set yourself up for defeat... as I stated above to teams not wanting to travel to us.

I truly believe SP wouldn't care as much if it didn't have playoff implications. If you lose 1 game in your region, then lose 2 or 3 of the other non region games (higher classification teams), what good does it do??? You may not make the playoffs in todays system!!!

I like slimshady's idea about getting Haslam involved. I hear is deeply involved in UT hiring Chucky (hopefully).

I'm with Cosby, we are one of the weaker teams in football

you guys are missing the point.

1. SoPitt traditionally plays up in class. I think that was the coaches decision , in years past, in order to get our boys ready for tough completion in the playoffs. We won some we lost some, but we won the district and were rewarded a bye and 2 or 3 playoff home games.

2. TSSAA changed their playoff formula. Now those upper class losses means you will get a lower seed, play 1st week of playoffs against a team that is going to be humiliated (Columbia Academy) and then travel for the rest of the playoffs.

3. That formula then means other schools then will not play you fearing a loss that will affect their seeding. (Grundy)

If they are not going to consider strength of schedule, then at least cut the number of districts by half. That forces us and other teams (Silverdale) to play more 1A and 2A teams.

I don't know the answer, I just know TSSAA is the problem.

You will still have teams avoiding others if the system continues but a relatively minor "tweak" of classifying football schools separately and not necessarily having 16 classes will increase the average number of schools in a district-without increasing travel like a return to five classes would do. That's something the schools really need to get behind, if the system as a whole isn't going to be scrapped. Doing that, just reducing Class A (1A and 2A playoff) by one district would put six to eight in each district except the Memphis district (ten as some of the smallest currently Class AA teams would be in it).