The death of the Dickson County Henry County rivalry (The Barrel)

theoldref58

SIR...as my post said, the school board probably could care less what district we play in or who we play on Friday night's, they have a job to do and that job is to see that children are educated in our community and education comes before athletics and that is the way it should be. In regards to the post made from oldref, he said he was going to call his friends on the school board and make some noise, so to speak, but that will not do any good because each school administration makes scheduling decisions in athletics from the principal down to the the AD. Maybe he can call them? I did not say that playing this game would harm the education process in any way at all, so I do not understand how you got that impression, as a matter of fact I said that I would love for the rivalry to continue but I have no control over the situation. Also, if you are saying I am detatched from the community you have no clue at all because I have been involved in sports in DC for almost 40 years in one way or another. That was not a politically correct statement, just the facts about most school boards across the state, and I do agree that community involvment is crucial at all high schools and does make a difference on these kids playing sports, boys and girls, and they will remember it the rest of their lives. GO DC!!

The Principal and the AD work for the Director of Schools,and between the three of them lies the responsibility of overseeing all things school-sports related.If Dickson and Henry Counties bear resemblance to most,the coaches have the freedom to scedule opponents...probably too late to change for the home/away two year cycle now.The Director works for the Board of education,at whom's discretion could be compelled to reinstitute the traditional rivalry game.I didn't mean to imply that you were detached from the community,but that the Director was(according to earlier posts)not from either schools area.Most systems go to great lengths to involve parents and community in any and all school functions,and I see no practical reason that such an event be discontinued.Education is in fact a much higher priority than a football game,but would not be affected in the slightest should it continue,and I drew the impression that you thought so because you stated that one came before the other,as if it were a choice.If you'd truly like the tradition to continue,I'd advise you to contact your representative on the BOE,explain the lost revenue and community relations,and see if it would help...it can't do any harm,and just might surprise you that you do have a voice.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the people in Dickson county are not passionate about this rivalry as theoldref58 and myself.That you would have someone of outside your county that doesn't even live in your commuity come in and change things that has been for over 35 years. What happens is that you louse a little of your commuity each time this happens. I guess high school will be like profooball you only play for the playoffs to heck with your rivalry we have to play everyone in the district so we can make the payoff this not what high school should be about it about smaltown America bragging rights . But sad to say this is what it has boiled down to in each town you. You louse a little piece of your commuity. This not far to the player the fans or the students of each of these schools. Coach Willams is a good coach the AD is a good man as will I am sure they were told this is what they were going to do following orders.

I'm a transplant and haven't even lived here ten years but my take on this is that this "rivalry" is much more important to us than it is to them. It's definitely an interest filled game for the fans and the media, given our recent success and the DC tradition, but the game is more important to us than them.

I agree with RW somewhat. HC doesn't have a true rival except DC considering HC's location and school size.

• 3 weeks later...

I was disappointed after first hearing about it, but I'm over it at this point. Dickson isn't obligated to play us. Maybe they consider Creek Wood their new big rival. I don't know.

Having gone through the tradition of HC-DC as both a player and fan, I can understand the frustration. As a player, it had an atmosphere of its own, and there's really not another way to describe it.

Nonetheless, given the locations and histories of the two schools, there's a very high probability that we haven't seen the last of Dickson County.