Congrats Whitehaven - Excellent game Maryville

kwc

You are exactly right Sir. Those things are more important on the grand scale of life. But you have to understand this is a sports messageboard. We are gonna gripe, complain, discuss, argue and cheer ect about high school sports. If you want to talk about feeding the hungry and coats for the cold and helping others this isnt the place to find such things. This is a Whitehaven vs Maryville State Championship Game thread.

If the outcome of the game doesn't matter, then why did Whitehaven show up? Why were they excited when they won? Of course it matters, and of course there are always more weighty matters against which you can juxtapose a mere game.

But the fact remains that a call was made that had no basis in fact. WHATSOEVER.

Moreover, but for the call, we do know that MHS scored a two point conversion. We do know that, but for the call, this conversion puts them ahead. And we do know that Whitehaven didn't score again until after regulation. That's what we do know.

Edited by Moronicus

Look at the evidence. I don't think anyone would still be talking about it, if it would have been a pass interference call, or a holding call, etc..... The problem is when you look at all the evidence provided, there really is only one conclusion, without some sort of explanation on his behalf, that you can come to, and that is that he was looking to make a call to stop the play.

So, for me, that is the problem. I know that refs are human, and I can't ask them to be perfect, because none of us are, but this call gives the appearance of going beyond just a bad call, and looking at the evidence, it says that a man purposely made a bogus call. Now, if he came out with an explanation of why he made that call, or he came out and said "I thought this is what I saw, but after watching the tape, I blew the call", then personally, I could look at it with a different perspective. But, until he does that, I know what the evidence tells me.

That "wise old official" that you speak of, doesn't sound too wise to me. If you "see what you call, and call what you see", then you should have no problem explaining what you called.

Look at the evidence. I don't think anyone would still be talking about it, if it would have been a pass interference call, or a holding call, etc..... The problem is when you look at all the evidence provided, there really is only one conclusion, without some sort of explanation on his behalf, that you can come to, and that is that he was looking to make a call to stop the play.

So, for me, that is the problem. I know that refs are human, and I can't ask them to be perfect, because none of us are, but this call gives the appearance of going beyond just a bad call, and looking at the evidence, it says that a man purposely made a bogus call. Now, if he came out with an explanation of why he made that call, or he came out and said "I thought this is what I saw, but after watching the tape, I blew the call", then personally, I could look at it with a different perspective. But, until he does that, I know what the evidence tells me.

That "wise old official" that you speak of, doesn't sound too wise to me. If you "see what you call, and call what you see", then you should have no problem explaining what you called.

How do you know what he, the official, was wanting to do, you do not know what he was wanting to do , that is just your opinion. I am not saying the call was right or wrong, but that we all make mistakes, period. Yes it was the championship game, when I played on that field in Cookeville I always played to win, but if we lost and I know in my heart that I did all that I could and played to the best of my ability then that is all My Lord and Savior would want, whether we won or not. By the way the call by the official that was made in his judgement was wrong also but I am glad that wrong call was made for my soul. Dispite that fact that it was the championship game it was still just a game, That is my opinion.

How do you know what he, the official, was wanting to do, you do not know what he was wanting to do , that is just your opinion. I am not saying the call was right or wrong, but that we all make mistakes, period. Yes it was the championship game, when I played on that field in Cookeville I always played to win, but if we lost and I know in my heart that I did all that I could and played to the best of my ability then that is all My Lord and Savior would want, whether we won or not. By the way the call by the official that was made in his judgement was wrong also but I am glad that wrong call was made for my soul. Dispite that fact that it was the championship game it was still just a game, That is my opinion.

As an official you are going to make mistakes and miss calls......But you never "make up" a call which happened here...He unjustly laid blame on #50 for being downfield.....He is either ignorant of the rules ....or.....didn't want the team in white to win.....simple as that.....And Gary Darden is a name that will go down in TSSAA history for making the worst "made up" call ever, damaging the integrity and fairness of the game, and getting caught on film....

Edited by STARSNBARS

The illegal man down field call was not the only call that took points off the board for either one of the teams. What about earlier in the game when Whitehaven was flagged for running into the kicker? It was after Maryville failed to score 3 points and after the replay was shown it was clear he was pushed into the kicker and it was also clear that the player was only trying to hold the kicker up, keeping him from falling. This resulted in a first down and Maryville ended up scoring on the drive also. Without that touchdown Whitehaven wins in regulation possibly. Officiating was bad both ways, but it's apart of the game. Congrats Whitehaven!

jake gooder post...and if jake jr. is anything like his diddy...Then he is one lucky feller..... :thumb:

Edited by STARSNBARS

The illegal man down field call was not the only call that took points off the board for either one of the teams. What about earlier in the game when Whitehaven was flagged for running into the kicker? It was after Maryville failed to score 3 points and after the replay was shown it was clear he was pushed into the kicker and it was also clear that the player was only trying to hold the kicker up, keeping him from falling. This resulted in a first down and Maryville ended up scoring on the drive also. Without that touchdown Whitehaven wins in regulation possibly.

But this much is FACTUAL....With out the "made-up" call.... it's 29-28 Mairvul with 45 seconds left....

Edited by STARSNBARS

You keep saying that the call was made on purpose and to make up for some other call. How do you know why the official made this particular call? Are you a mind reader? You just think that is why the call was made, really you have no fact to support your opinion, and it is just that an opinion and we all have one. Good and bad calls are made in all sports it is part of the game, right or wrong. So Maryville lost, maybe they should have not let the game come to having to possibly win by going for a 2 point conversion, maybe they should have not let it be in the officials hands to make a call. If it was a blow out then this would not be an issue. Congrats to Whitehaven and Maryville you both have great programs.

Why is it "made-up", all calls are made with the eyes of the person amking the call and what is seen, whether is it real or not, it was what he saw at that moment of time and a call was made by him. Who is to say that Whitehaven would not have gone down and scored anyway, no one knows and the 2 points would not have mattered.

You keep saying that the call was made on purpose and to make up for some other call. How do you know why the official made this particular call? Are you a mind reader? You just think that is why the call was made, really you have no fact to support your opinion, and it is just that an opinion and we all have one. Good and bad calls are made in all sports it is part of the game, right or wrong.

1. I'm not saying he was trying to make up for anything....I'm simply saying since it's is obvious by photo proof there was no foul....that one had to "made up" when one did not occur...and #50 for Maryville was falsely accused....

2. No I'm not a "mind reader" but I have thought a time or two about stopping on Alcoa Hwy and seeing those nice old cars "Madame Rene" mind reader and used car dealer has for sale....

3, Well since no foul occured and I have photographic proof that it didn't...Then the only logical choices would be...a) The official doesn't know the rules and is incompetent ...B) Needs glasses...c) Didn't want the team in white win... d) All the above.....

4. I can live with good and bad calls...Just not the ones that didn't occur and are made up, when on this stage you have to be absolutely sure......