integrity of the stats

EXCHEQUER

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure 90% of the time, the stats are done by folks who pride themselves in being fair and objective. Tackles is one stat that makes me wonder sometimes though. I find it odd that some teams will have 2 or three guys in the top ten in the mid-state. If you go look at some of their team tackles you find that, incredibly, these teams are averaging 30-40 more tackles per game than most other teams.

Edited by tandem

I've been doing stats for Powell the last few years, and I was also part of the football stat team at Ohio State while in college. I always check my stats against other media stat guys, if they are present (prepxtra, myVLT). Also, if the visiting team has a stat guy, we'll compare stats as well. At Powell, we have an individual who tracks defensive stats for both teams, and I track offensive/special teams stats for both teams. I wish more schools took the time to do this, but unfortunately it is hit or miss.

first hit gets the tackle, second gets assist, thats it. always amazes me to see a team with three or four kids over 100 tackles. I remember when I was in high school having a teammate make around 130 tackles in a 10 game season and was the runt of the region team in tackles.

When I did them for my sons middle school team, thats how I did it. First man there gets the tackle, second assist. But now I see they combine the stats for total tackles. Say a player has 70 solo and 30 assists, well he ends up with 100 tackles. But when I did them I had someone right beside me verify everything I did, including yardages etc. then since I was videoing as well, I reviewed the stats with the video..guess I was a little anal, lol ...but I didnt want to make a mistake either.