Greenback's New Head Coach...

JSamson7

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new coach is Jason Hicks. Former teammate of mine at Maryville & will definitely be an upgrade over Ridge.

Was Hicks a former military officer? I know he is a very frienly person,I talked to him some last year when he was the wrestling coach.I believe Ridge said he was satisfied that Hicks and the other coaching staff would do a great job.My two grandsons played football and was on the wrestling team and they both have great respect for Ridge as a coach and teacher.

Was Hicks a former military officer? I know he is a very frienly person,I talked to him some last year when he was the wrestling coach.I believe Ridge said he was satisfied that Hicks and the other coaching staff would do a great job.My two grandsons played football and was on the wrestling team and they both have great respect for Ridge as a coach and teacher.

Yes , he is ex military. I played with Hicks all throughout school & we graduated together from Maryville in 1996. He was Blount County Co Player of the Year (with Korey Conner from Alcoa) & was a 1000 back for us.

He did a awesome job stepping up as our tailback after our starter got hurt mid way through the year. Hicks was our starting FB in our hybrid wing T that we ran under Hammontree, but after Jeff Cummings went down he was able to put together a few 200 yard games & finished strong. Amazingly enough, Hicks was our starting QB our Jr. year & we made the playoffs then as well. The majority of the media thought that was a mistake, but what they didn't know was that was the on.y year he started at QB.

If not for him, Cummings, Josh Hendricks, & Levar Scales (all dynamic skill position players) our class would have probably been the 1st to bring back a gold ball to Blount County. Just wasn't meant to be though...

• 2 months later...

I would say i know a little more than the average fan.I have been around it for along time,helped coach these kids in youth ball and have a incoming Sr and graduated a player in 2011 also had a son who graduated in 2010 that played basketball.Most everone knows who i am on here including the coaches so i dont hide nothing i say whats usually on my mind,i dont blow smoke up anyones hind end including coaches.Coach Hicks really cares about the kids and the program he works very hard to prepare the kids.Coach Ridge had another responcibilty to the central office that only garnered him one more year of coaching.Coach Hicks started most of the practices and did a great job in motivating these kids again not taking anything away from coach Ridge a good man and a good coach.His down side is he doesnt relate well to the players,coach Hicks does a better job at that and PERSONALLY think that will benefit us in the long run.You got to have kids willing to do anything for you on the football field(thats legal).I ask you this question-why not hire within when the coach knows the system and the system has worked for the past two years?As O-coor he has only lost 4 games.As for the schedule,first game Sweetwater home,Gatlinburg Pittman home,at Meigs then at Coalfield then at Oneida i believe this is correct.That is tough enough for anybody!Then we still have Sweetwater a 3A playoff team,and Grace who will be a top five team in 2a,Rockwood who should be a better footbal team,probably the toughest schedule in 1A i would think!

Thats a tough schedule but I would have to say that Coalfield's is tougher this year. Dont know what SP's schedule is but theirs is usually the toughest in the state by far.

It's anybody's guess how some of these teams will turn out this year, but at this point, Greenback's schedule is tougher than Coalfield's. I have no doubt about that. I'll be very surprised if Greenback's schedule isn't ranked one of the top 5 toughest in the state in Single A.

It's anybody's guess how some of these teams will turn out this year, but at this point, Greenback's schedule is tougher than Coalfield's. I have no doubt about that. I'll be very surprised if Greenback's schedule isn't ranked one of the top 5 toughest in the state in Single A.

I'll have to agree.knox catholic will be a tough one for Cfield and Oneida also,but Notre dame will be a little down this yr and well Wburg lost alot,Oz is Oz,Sunbright well they are sunbright,Oakdale again no powerhouse.We have two 3A playoff teams coming in back to back first two weeks of season Pittman is always tough,sweetwater has been on the rise for three yrs now,Meigs is a big 1a school now that was young last yr and is also district game,Rockwood will be a top ten if not a top 5 team by season end.Oneida will play till the bitter end with us i dont care how many kids they graduated that is always worth the money and it is up there again this yr and on TV,and of course we also have the reloaded Grace rams.Cfields schedule is nothing to laugh at but i dont think coach Henry would want to change with the Kees'.Coalfield if they stay healthy will be a beast this yr.We have alot of kids coming back also with about 15 Srs and 11 Jrs but Cfield is bringing almost all of them back!The East will definatly have a say this yr.I am also sure that Pitt will be loaded and a tough schedule also as usual. Edited by orngnblk