3AAA in 2013

ORbaseball

Having considered transfering my own kids, I can tell you the most important considerations for me. First, there must be a quality education (at least for ET). The next thought is on the coaching. Which coach has the knowledge and the most connections to help my kid get a shot to play college baseball? Believe me, some have the connections, and some don't. Some coaches want to help, and some don't. I think this is where the travel ball families get influenced. Most travel ball families dish out some $ for that experience. Many of them also dish out $ for private instruction. Then, if they see one high school coach trying harder (and being more successful) to help kids continue playing beyond high school, then the transfer thoughts come into play. They look at it as an investment of $ they have made for their kid's future. The kid has definitely invested a ton of time. So, do you stay at the school in your area that your dad graduated from with the less helpful coach, or do you go to another school with a coach who can "pick up the phone and make a call". Maybe sadly, but the Christian experience is an bonus consideration for me.

I'm still deciding for my kid. What should we do? :popcorneater:

P.S. Based on my calls, we would actually have to move into Farragut's zone for them to play ball there. :roflol: The private's don't have that requirement.

That district should be fun this year. Don't overlook Powell. I expect those juniors to break out and knock the living crap out of the ball. It may be their time to shine. Lots of very good players in the district at several different schools.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having considered transfering my own kids, I can tell you the most important considerations for me. First, there must be a quality education (at least for ET). The next thought is on the coaching. Which coach has the knowledge and the most connections to help my kid get a shot to play college baseball? Believe me, some have the connections, and some don't. Some coaches want to help, and some don't. I think this is where the travel ball families get influenced. Most travel ball families dish out some $ for that experience. Many of them also dish out $ for private instruction. Then, if they see one high school coach trying harder (and being more successful) to help kids continue playing beyond high school, then the transfer thoughts come into play. They look at it as an investment of $ they have made for their kid's future. The kid has definitely invested a ton of time. So, do you stay at the school in your area that your dad graduated from with the less helpful coach, or do you go to another school with a coach who can "pick up the phone and make a call". Maybe sadly, but the Christian experience is an bonus consideration for me.

I'm still deciding for my kid. What should we do? :popcorneater:

P.S. Based on my calls, we would actually have to move into Farragut's zone for them to play ball there. :roflol: The private's don't have that requirement.

That district should be fun this year. Don't overlook Powell. I expect those juniors to break out and knock the living crap out of the ball. It may be their time to shine. Lots of very good players in the district at several different schools.

Quality post here StrongX and shows that there is a lot more to a decision than blaming "travel ball". Decisions are made for a lot of different reasons and not a generic "let's blame travel ball". If your family has invested serious time in making your kid the best player they can be, then why not look for the best experience and opportunity that a quality program or coach can give. The reality of today's economy is that an education is a major expense and if your kid has worked their butt off to be better then why not give your kid the best opportunity under a better coach or program than the area he is zoned to go to school with a sub-par program.

I've been at both public and private schools. Let's be honest most people will tell you they are transferring for the education but that's just a way to hide they're really not happy with the way things are going. Travel ball has a lot to do with it. Most travel ball programs(with exception) are coached by daddy's that are trying to fill some void left in their youth before they discovered Bud light and Mötley Crüe. With all that being said if the child doesn't immediately develop the easiest thing to do is blame the coach,especially at the HS level. I personally know Hoch and Froning, both pitching guys that have developed guys to play at the next level and are both proven and in my humble opinion good coaches. Really no need to transfer. Even at the academic level OR is probably the best public education you can get, I would even go as far as saying its comparable to Grace, minus a bible class. One last point before I go, even though it's Christian and private with it comes the disposable income of private school kids. They are still kids with $ to spend and that can lead to a dangerous situation. Don't make the mistake of thinking b/c it's a Christian school they don't have the same problems as public. And the parents b/c they are paying for an education feel as if they are entitled to have input into how a program is run. Players play. Coaches coach. Parents SHOULD cheer not complain.

Hardin Valley

Oak Ridge

AC (sleeper pick)

Powell(new coach)

Halls(lost 8 starters)

Clinton(new coach)

Karns(new coach)

Central

CC(new coach)

I think it's obvious HV and OR are the two top in this district, they definitely have the arms.

I like AC, Ben will win with Tackett & Newman. Jays unproven but a good coach that will bring some discipline to a very underachieving team the last two years. Halls lost too many players to be at the top of the district but Coach Polston will always compete. I think Clinton will surprise some people. Collette will rejuvenate the program but the talents not quite there, yet. Karns will be working with anew coach but so are a lot of teams in this district. Central and CC will be in the celler but Lovette will coach his way to some wins, most of his ball players are at other programs. I think 5,6,7 spots are completely up for grabs but remember this is one of the biggest districts in the state. It all changes next year when HV is replaced with Gibbs.

Thanks for bringing us back on topic. I am in perfect agreement with your rankings. With two of the best pitchers in the district and being so well coached, HVA will be hard to de-thrown as the district champions. With Jordan Lane pitching, ORHS should at least get splits with Halls, Powell, and AC; their abilty to finish #2 will depend on keeping pitchers arms healthy and getting their bats going. The problem last year with ORHS was no run support, as both Powell and Halls beat Lane by 1 run, with OR only scoring 3 runs total in those two games. The one that I'm "iffy" about is AC. If Hunter Tackett pitches and is finding the strike zone, he could get some upset wins with a little run support.

ORHS will only see Halls and Powell one time in regular season with the new division play. This is going to change how the district plays out this year. With only 10 district games this year there could be 5 teams end regular season with the same record.

Travel ball has a lot to do with it. Most travel ball programs(with exception) are coached by daddy's that are trying to fill some void left in their youth before they discovered Bud light and Mötley Crüe. With all that being said if the child doesn't immediately develop the easiest thing to do is blame the coach,especially at the HS level.

Classic! :thumb: Big Crue fan here.

Not sure I agree with blaming travel ball though. There may be some good high school coaches out there who are developing kids. Please tell me who they are. BUT...there are some kids (I say most kids) being developed though travel ball and some lazy high school coaches getting the benefit of it. In other words, I don't think many high school coaches develop the kids at all. It's hard to develop much when inside the gym because it is too wet for the first third of the year and after that you are playing every day to make up games. Just like the high school coach gets too much blame if a kid is not successful, that same coach may get too much credit if the kid is a D1 kid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...