officiating!

moorecounty2003

Your are correct, all of us make mistakes, coaches, players, officials, etc. However, call the obvious, control the game, and hold no bias. I do not believe those three things are too hard for officials who get PAID and are supposed to recieve PROPER training to be able to execute.

But I disagree regarding blaming refs are the reason our children pass the buck....If they would do thier job I believe (the quality coaches) would make sure they do feel responsibile for thier own play. However, when we lose a game the other night because a bucket was counted (tip in) completely after the buzzer sounded its hard to take that approach. Our kids were robbed of a chance to make it into overtime ( I did not say robbed of a win), so how should those kids feel when they're outcome was decided by adults who were completely wrong (yes, film does not lie).

How about when a clock operator stops the clock on purpose to give his home team a chance to score? Happened at Adamsville tonight....visiting team scores layup to tie game with 6.8 seconds to go - clock should keep running. Clock operator stops clock as ball going through net....does not start back up until ball is inbounded after considerable at least 3-4 seconds which should at this point be about all the time left in game. Girl dribbles twice and almost sure two passes were made before layup on other end to win game. Everyone in building knows there is was an error - BUT refs say they cannot do anything, home coach says he cannot do anything.....I say both could have, but chose not to....Win for the home team Kids will get over it, parents will even get over it eventually, but you sir clock operator will always be a cheat. Enjoy your win.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about when a clock operator stops the clock on purpose to give his home team a chance to score? Happened at Adamsville tonight....visiting team scores layup to tie game with 6.8 seconds to go - clock should keep running. Clock operator stops clock as ball going through net....does not start back up until ball is inbounded after considerable at least 3-4 seconds which should at this point be about all the time left in game. Girl dribbles twice and almost sure two passes were made before layup on other end to win game. Everyone in building knows there is was an error - BUT refs say they cannot do anything, home coach says he cannot do anything.....I say both could have, but chose not to....Win for the home team Kids will get over it, parents will even get over it eventually, but you sir clock operator will always be a cheat. Enjoy your win.

The clock was stopped after the bucket. Clock read 6 seconds and a couple of tenths. There were at least 6 seconds of active play before the clock restarted.

It never should have stopped. All three officials said they never saw the clock stopped. If that is true, they were the only ones in the gym who did not see it stopped. All they had to do was go to the scoring table and confer with the scoreboard operator. Of course though, that guy was not going to admit that he screwed up royally.

The

The JV officiating I've seen has been better overall than the varsity officiating. That tells me the problem isn't lack of training or experience as much as some of them just wanting to get the check and leave ASAP.

Agree in part. The biggest problem is nepotism and cronyism when it comes to assigning varsity officials. As an official in basketball and baseball, I can attest that there are several quality officials stuck in jv that get passed over for varsity games in favor of "older" guys that are past their prime or otherwise less competent.

It is very easy fix. All of the folks that know so much basketball should pay their 65$ fee. Take the test and start refereeing.

been there; done that; got the t-shirt, and jersey, and shows, and pants. It is not worth the pay to have emotionally involved "fans" yelling and screaming and disrepecting my family, my parents marital status, whether I am a human or dog fecies, or if i am a heterosexual.

As others have said, most fans only see the game through rose-colored glasses for their team and do not know the rules. Just is not worth the pay.

I think that it is a fair statement that there are far more bad/ignorate to the rule fans than there are bad refs. Everyone makes mistakes and officials should never be abused for making them, real or otherwise. I think the main sore spot for most people is that there are no checks and balances (accountability...if only to learn) for those instances that clear errors where made (especially those resulting in injury) and it just appears that no one really cares. If our Association can spend $2MM on issues like recruiting violations and fighting open file rulings, it sure should take an interest in control of games that its bylaws expressly requires.

Edited by Ericblair

I think that it is a fair statement that there are far more bad/ignorate to the rule fans than there are bad refs. Everyone makes mistakes and officials should never be abused for making them, real or otherwise. I think the main sore spot for most people is that there are no checks and balances (accountability...if only to learn) for those instances that clear errors where made (especially those resulting in injury) and it just appears that no one really cares. If our Association can spend $2MM on issues like recruiting violations and fighting open file rulings, it sure should take an interest in control of games that its bylaws expressly requires.

Very Good post... now is anyone at TSSAA reading or listening?