AAU Top 100

truthsquad

I would like to know too. I hate when tournaments do that. Why drive that far when you don't even know if you have anyone to wrestle.

All you have to do is check the Matrix (which is available) to see if you will have anyone to wrestle. It has the number of entrants per age group / weight class. You just won't know who the exact kids are.

Of course with the way parents / teams register for youth tournaments (holding out until late the night registration closes) it is hard to tell in advance and if you wait around to see if anyone has signed up then you may miss the deadline.

Edited by ghouse

Does anyone know why the names are not being released for this week's Top 100? It would be helpful to know who is coming. Long trip for most in the state. It would be nice to know what the competition looks like.

No clue why it isn't released since I have nothing to do with it. However, I have worked with several tournament directors over the years who didn't like releasing information early because of how registration is always delayed until just before it closes... they thought that the small number showing a week or so out tends to turn away people thinking of traveling. Unfortunately, this issue is created by many of the same parents / coaches who are looking for entries before they sign up... go ahead and sign-up early and that will encourage others to do the same... otherwise you end up with a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Of course it is tough to say if that is the case here because the Matrix is released which does let you know relative numbers, just not exactly who is attending.

All you have to do is check the Matrix (which is available) to see if you will have anyone to wrestle. It has the number of entrants per age group / weight class. You just won't know who the exact kids are.

Of course with the way parents / teams register for youth tournaments (holding out until late the night registration closes) it is hard to tell in advance and if you wait around to see if anyone has signed up then you may miss the deadline.

The number doesn't matter. We just would like to know who they are. There is a great tournament in IN this weekend that is only 1.5 hours away for us. It will take us alot longer than that to get to Memphis. I don't know how many will make that drive without knowing the level of competition that will show up. There is no reason to hide this information.

One reason may be that wrestling coaches and parents seem to wait until the last minute to register. Either because they want to check the weight on Thursday night prior or they simply do what most do and put it off until the last minute.

Last week, on Wednesday, the Top 100 only had about 125 or so registered. By Midnight Thursday night, the number was around 515. Had the names and numbers been posted some may have viewed them on Wednesday and thought, wow, not a big or competitive tournament this will be and not registered.

This weekend's event should have at or more than 600. I have been informed that there are wrestlers from TN, IN, IL, MO, AK, and KY making the trip to wrestle.

No matter what event you go to this weekend, Good Luck and be safe!

One reason may be that wrestling coaches and parents seem to wait until the last minute to register. Either because they want to check the weight on Thursday night prior or they simply do what most do and put it off until the last minute.

Last week, on Wednesday, the Top 100 only had about 125 or so registered. By Midnight Thursday night, the number was around 515. Had the names and numbers been posted some may have viewed them on Wednesday and thought, wow, not a big or competitive tournament this will be and not registered.

This weekend's event should have at or more than 600. I have been informed that there are wrestlers from TN, IN, IL, MO, AK, and KY making the trip to wrestle.

No matter what event you go to this weekend, Good Luck and be safe!

Thanks for the inside scoop. Regaurdless we will probably show up. We haven't missed one yet. It's a long haul though!

The number doesn't matter. We just would like to know who they are. There is a great tournament in IN this weekend that is only 1.5 hours away for us. It will take us alot longer than that to get to Memphis. I don't know how many will make that drive without knowing the level of competition that will show up. There is no reason to hide this information.

That's how I feel. When you have a state champion wrestler, the number of kids don't matter. It's all about the quality of the opponent. We will bump our kids up a weight class or age group to wrestle harder kids. You can't do that when they hide the names.

I would like to know too. I hate when tournaments do that. Why drive that far when you don't even know if you have anyone to wrestle.

Just be glad you're not a Memphis wrestler. Looking at the schedule, there's only one Top 100 tournament within 200 miles. Wait, I'm sorry...I'm wrong. The Regional tournament is only 166 miles away. Ugh! Which is why you won't see Memphis youth wrestlers in the TN Top 100. It should be called the Middle & East TN Top 100.

I say that a little tongue in cheek though, for several years we had to drive almost 300 miles to Cookeville for a Regional tournament. Yes...that's right, over 4 hours driving one way for a REGIONAL tournament. How regional is that???

So, I guess you could say...it's getting better???

The funny thing is, they finally let Memphis host a TN AAU Regional tournament last year, and so many complained about having to make the trip, just weeks before, they went ahead and created a whole new region. Ha!

Numerous years of West TN traveling hundreds of miles Eastward, couldn't change it. But, one year of those in the East traveling West...Bang!!! Welcome to the newly formed Region 5 everyone.

With that said, I've got a van with 300,000 miles on it that I'll sell ya cheap!

Just be glad you're not a Memphis wrestler. Looking at the schedule, there's only one Top 100 tournament within 200 miles. Wait, I'm sorry...I'm wrong. The Regional tournament is only 166 miles away. Ugh! Which is why you won't see Memphis youth wrestlers in the TN Top 100. It should be called the Middle & East TN Top 100.

I say that a little tongue in cheek though, for several years we had to drive almost 300 miles to Cookeville for a Regional tournament. Yes...that's right, over 4 hours driving one way for a REGIONAL tournament. How regional is that???

The funny thing is, they finally let Memphis host a TN AAU Regional tournament last year, and so many complained about having to make the trip, just weeks before, they went ahead and created a whole new region. Ha!

Numerous years of West TN traveling hundreds of miles Eastward, couldn't change it. But, one year of those in the East traveling West...Bang!!! Welcome to the newly formed Region 5 everyone.

With that said, I've got a van with 300,000 miles on it that I'll sell ya cheap!

Once again, it's not about the drive. We want top level competition.

Each region has 1 top 100 tournament. I dont know how thats not fair. Why would it be fair to put more in the west when they have the least wrestlers centered geographically? We are just unfortunate our state is shaped the way it is and that Memphis doesnt traditionally have strong numbers. That being said its important we support each other to make this thing work. Even though I havent seen any Memphis kids this year in our top 100 tournaments we have had I am about to enter 12 Red Raiders. I tried to bring more but we have an ice storm coming and the Baylor vs McCallie match tomorrow night. Hopefully others will support the west in their tournament as well.