Christian Brothers Wins D-II Crown; Back-to-Back

bbb

FRANKLIN -- Showcasing an impressive four-year run by a talented senior class, Christian Brothers claimed its second straight TSSAA D-II state wrestling duals crown here Saturday night with a 42-23 victory against Father Ryan at the Williamson County Ag Expo Center.

Purple Wave seniors John David Santi (120) and Nick Gray (126) posted regular decisions to give the victors a 6-0 lead after two matches.

The Purple Irish answered with a technical fall from former state champ Mike Akers (132) and a decision by James Simpson for a short-lived 8-6 lead.

Two more CBHS seniors – Luke Parish (145, major decision) and Kaleb Baker (152, pin) – earned a combined 10 team points in the next two matches to re-gain the lead, a lead which the victors would not relinquish.

“Our seniors stayed focused all year and it showed by their performance tonight,†said Christian Brothers coach Chris Lewis.

Four Finals: Christian Brothers has been in the D-II finals four straight years with a pair of titles (2012, 2013) and two runner-up finishes (2010, 2011).

Nationally-Ranked: In an impressive two-year run, the Purple Wave has been nationally-ranked in the top 50 each year, is No.43 this week, is 23-1 on the season with the only loss to Pope (Ga.) at the Cleveland Duals … and has a win against Archer (Ga.) who recently beat Pope … CBHS also has a win against D-I AAA state duals champion Cleveland ... Christian Brothers’ only loss to a Tennessee team in the past two years was on the road to Soddy-Daisy in mid-December 2011 and avenged that loss by the Trojans the next day to win the Cleveland Duals.

Purple Wave senior and two-time defending state champion Kaleb Baker said, “We celebrate this championship tonight, but Monday we start working to win the state traditional in two weeks. That’s the final piece of the puzzle for our senior class.â€

Third Place: Baylor edged McCallie, 37-36 …

Good Wins: It was five days later than originally planned, but the match of state champs took place Saturday afternoon at 132 pounds as McCallie’s Adam Connell decisioned Baylor’s Brandon Brunner, 4-1 …The two did not wrestle in the McCallie- Baylor dual match this past Monday … Connell also beat former state champ Mike Akers of Father Ryan in the semis Friday night.

Christian Brothers 42, Father Ryan 23

120: John David Santi (CBHS) dec. Michael Eckhart, 6-3 … CBHS, 3-0 +3

126 Nick Gray (CBHS) dec. Hal Fisher, 6-4 … CBHS , 6-0 +6

132: Mike Akers (FR) tech fall Red Croom, 24-8 …. CBHS 6-5 +1

138: James Simpson (FR) dec. Bailey Wittman, 4-0 … Ryan, 8-6 +1 (lead change)

145: Luke Parrish (CBHS) major dec. Patrick Cosgrove, 14-3 … CBHS, 10-8 +2 lead change

152 Kaleb Baker (CBHS) pinned Marcelo Morrice, 2:29 … CBHS, 16-8 +8

160: Mark Marchetti (FR) dec. Brandon Hataway, 9-4 … CBHS 16-11 +5

170: Barrett Walthall (CBHS) pinned Nick Naughton, 1:07 … CBHS, 22-11 +11

182: John Hagey (FR) dec. Michael Edwards, 4:59 …CBHS, 22-17 +5

195: Corbin McOlgan (CBHS) tech fall Houston Hooker, 18-3 (5:56) … CBHS 27-17 +10

220: Jeremy Brandon (CBHS) pinned Ben Stacey, 1:17 … CBHS 33-17 +16

285: Drayke Armstrong (CBHS) pinned Brandon Christy, 1:49 … CBHS 39-17 +22 (largest lead)

106: Trey Chalifoux (FR) pinned Josh Adams, 1:32 … CBHS 39-23 +16

113: Elijah Oliver (CBHS) major dec. Kirby Simpson, 13-5 … CBHS 43-23 … +20

1 team point deducted from Christian Brothers for unsportsmanlike conduct

Contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hagey pinned Edwards....think just a typo. CBHS looked super solid and I must say for the first two matches the officiating was garbage. Congrats for those kids on winning though. Wasn't really impressed with Oliver's attitude after he just majored Simpson, and didn't even shake the coaches hand. They are a good team. Be ready for a crazy good Father Ryan team next year, as they only lose four starting seniors. Gonna be a great team. Baylor will be dangerous as well.

Edited by Cashville135

Going back to my earlier note it would appear the CBHS may have indeed lost a team point at the end. I was probably not paying attention at match end and missed the infraction.

Going back to my earlier note it would appear the CBHS may have indeed lost a team point at the end. I was probably not paying attention at match end and missed the infraction.

What was the point taken away for ? Why the bad sportsmanship from Baker and Oliver not shaking the opposing coaches hand like the other 12 wrestlers on the team ?

Shaking the hand of opposing coaches almost never happens in college. I believe the nhsca discourages it at the high school level as well. Its not a very sanitary practice, especially during flu season. Also I have seen many instances where the opposing coach will say something inappropriate and a confrontation begins. We teach our wrestlers to shake the opposing coach's hand, but it would be better if high schools mirrored the college approach and did away with this.