• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lexington

Covington

Northside

Mitchell

I don't know that their is necessarily a "powerhouse" program in west tn in 4A. I think there are several programs that are very good that have stretches were they put together several successful years in a row, but not the championships or sustained success that would justify being called a "powerhouse". I think Covington is probably the most consistent team and has several championship game appearances. However, even they have had some "lean" years.

Lexington is consistently good, but can't seem to get over the hump. Northside will be new to 4A this season and I think if they can keep the current coaching staff for an extended period of time, they will enjoy some success in 4A. They have definitely been up and down in 5A. Dyersburg is also usually very good in 4A. Also, a team out of memphis (for example Trezvant) is usually strong every year. However, I think the powerhouse 4A teams in TN are located in other parts of the state. Although, this class is probably more wide-open on a yearly basis than are most of the other classes.

Doesn't Lexington normally lose in the first round of the play-offs?

No.... they just had a South Gibson moment a couple of years ago. You know..... go 10-0..... talk all kinds of trash.... and then 1 and done. But usually they win a couple of playoff games. They went to the semi's a couple of years ago, but that is the farthest they have ever been.

I don't know that their is necessarily a "powerhouse" program in west tn in 4A. I think there are several programs that are very good that have stretches were they put together several successful years in a row, but not the championships or sustained success that would justify being called a "powerhouse". I think Covington is probably the most consistent team and has several championship game appearances. However, even they have had some "lean" years.

Lexington is consistently good, but can't seem to get over the hump. Northside will be new to 4A this season and I think if they can keep the current coaching staff for an extended period of time, they will enjoy some success in 4A. They have definitely been up and down in 5A. Dyersburg is also usually very good in 4A. Also, a team out of memphis (for example Trezvant) is usually strong every year. However, I think the powerhouse 4A teams in TN are located in other parts of the state. Although, this class is probably more wide-open on a yearly basis than are most of the other classes.

I agree with you, there is not a really powehouse team in West Tennessee. Lexington will prolly be the #1 favorite, but also Crockett County (even though they have had some rough two years lately) I will also put North Side and Liberty, but Jackson-Madison will go open zone next year, so we will see about that.

Again Lexington, North Side, Liberty, Dyersburg, Covington as my 4A powerhouse teams.

I agree with you, there is not a really powehouse team in West Tennessee. Lexington will prolly be the #1 favorite, but also Crockett County (even though they have had some rough two years lately) I will also put North Side and Liberty, but Jackson-Madison will go open zone next year, so we will see about that.

Again Lexington, North Side, Liberty, Dyersburg, Covington as my 4A powerhouse teams.

I wasn't thinking about Crockett Co. They were definitely a very good program under PA Pratt. Ward has a couple of lean years, but I think so of that was intentional. His first year, he made a committment to his younger players... played alot of sophomores. This coming year they will be seniors and very experienced. They will probably be one of the top 2 or 3 West TN 4A teams this next year.

• 2 weeks later...

East Tn dominates 4A .. period ... 2003 till 2013 .. 6 State Champions came from same district .. Fulton , LA and Catholc were all in same district when they won .. Fulton 2003,2004,2006, 2102 ..LA 2005 , Catholic 2008 , Grenneville in East Tn won in 2010,2011 ..only tean since 2003 to win was Giles Co and they are even considered a east half team now in playoffs ... so West Tn has no "powerhouses in Football in 4A "

East Tn dominates 4A .. period ... 2003 till 2013 .. 6 State Champions came from same district .. Fulton , LA and Catholc were all in same district when they won .. Fulton 2003,2004,2006, 2102 ..LA 2005 , Catholic 2008 , Grenneville in East Tn won in 2010,2011 ..only tean since 2003 to win was Giles Co and they are even considered a east half team now in playoffs ... so West Tn has no "powerhouses in Football in 4A "

Just want to inform that Covington went to Cookeville this year. Liberty played Covington in the semis and Liberty is pretty darn good. North Side played Beech in the semis and was leading Beech 24-14 at the half until the Bucs pulled away. Beech won state and North Side will drop to 4A. Dyersburg went 9-1 in their regular season. Crockett County have always been good, but the Cavs are young and they will explode next year. Lexington is always an 9-1/10-0 team that will make the playoffs, just didn't get it to state.

I understand that West TN does not have the State Champions as East TN, but West TN football is bright.

North Side, Lexington, Covington, Liberty, Dyersburg, and Crockett County will make noise next year.

The only reason why East TN is controlling football is because they are more High Schools in East Tn then West TN. Besides West TN is known for basketball.

Edited by cubs

Just want to inform that Covington went to Cookeville this year. Liberty played Covington in the semis and Liberty is pretty darn good. North Side played Beech in the semis and was leading Beech 24-14 at the half until the Bucs pulled away. Beech won state and North Side will drop to 4A. Dyersburg went 9-1 in their regular season. Crockett County have always been good, but the Cavs are young and they will explode next year. Lexington is always an 9-1/10-0 team that will make the playoffs, just didn't get it to state.

I understand that West TN does not have the State Champions as East TN, but West TN football is bright.

North Side, Lexington, Covington, Liberty, Dyersburg, and Crockett County will make noise next year.

The only reason why East TN is controlling football is because they are more High Schools in East Tn then West TN. Besides West TN is known for basketball.

Yeah... your right cubs. I don't think this guy read the thread title correctly. It was "Who are the 4A powerhouses in West TN". It did not say the entire state. If we were talking about the entire state, certainly east tn would be mentioned first. But the thread was only intended to speak of the top 4A programs in West TN. Some people speak without thinking!!

Yes it is correct that the thread was about 4A in west Tn but the word Powerhouse caused me to respond ..I dont think the word Powerhouse should be associated with 4A football in West Tn .. you have to win some Championships to be considered Powerhouse !! And I dont under stand the comment about more High schools in East Tn than West .. that only means that the talent is spread out farther in East than in West further making the West Tn 4A teams look bad.