Single A Sub-State Winners?

collegeguru

whew what a game what a game money well spent tonight Coleman is the truth hands down should at least be considered for mr basketball next year hats off to dominique tonight for lights out shooting and to rashawn on cluthch free throw shooting devon played with 4 fouls but did what he had to to stay in which was needed darius for some key rebounds and putbacks just hats off to the team on a great win congrats to coach b on her hardwork and dedication to the guys and returning to the boro...now its safe to say West Tennessee will be in the house and well represented with Lake co Humboldt and Dyer co hope we all support each others teams while we're there Goodluck to all 3 teams represent the West well...

Yes.Darius got in there and pulled down some key boards and scored a couple times and was fouled.Thought #5 from MAHS had 6 fouls before he fouled out.Was keeping up with his fouls I thought and remember him getting his 4th.And the scoreboard showed him with 4.Then he fouls out and I think the board showed him with 5 but after a huddle ,he continued to play.Lake Co fans were livid.I think when the whole side stood up,think he did have 5.But anyway ,a great game.Thought LC played well.Also,The Vikings ,Dyer co and LC in the house.Hopefully LC and Humboldt can play just 1 more time and if it does,everyone stays out of foul trouble.We all know have to have Devon and Zay on the floor to have a chance.MAHS was taking the ball out of bounds with about 5 seconds left in the half.With two seconds in the half,he is at half court reaching for the ball and is called for a foul.Silly foul.He has to make a better decision .Cant do that at half court.As for Humboldt.Congrats on your win last night as well.IF we do happen to play,at least if it happened two balls would be coming back to West Tenn.And if LC does lose,hope it is to Humboldt.A lot of respect for the Vikings and I have talked to Coach Boykins at a couple football games,and sat by him at several basketball games.If LC does lose,hope he wins.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commercial appeal writeup about the game:

LAKE COUNTY 89, MAHS 85 (2OT)

A dream of a first state tournament trip turned into a bitter first lesson for Memphis Academy of Health Sciences as Lake County rallied for an 89-85 double overtime win in their Class A sectional matchup at Douglass.

It is the third straight trip to Murfreesboro for the Falcons, who won the title in 2011 and reached the semifinals last year. They came into tonight’s game with a 7-22 record, having forfeited 11 games earlier this season because of an ineligible player.

The Falcons fell behind 29-21 after a quarter and spent most of the next three stalking, but never catching the Lions until midway through the final period when Devon Jones (26 points) hit a layup to make it 61-59.

“I told our kids, ‘Composure, composure, composure all night,’†said Lake County’s Dawn Barger, the team’s coach through the three-year run. “But they’re the ones who kept it.â€

Lake County junior guard Zay Coleman who scored 27 points and poked through the Lions’ defense like an industrial laser all night long, hit a free throw with 1:11 left in regulation to tie the game at 68.

MAHS (26-5), took a 77-74 lead late in the first overtime on a 3-pointer by Jamarius Anderson, who had 14 points. But with 1:11 left to go in the period, the Falcons’ Rashawn Taylor was fouled beyond the arc and hit all three free throws to keep things going.

In the final overtime, MAHS’ offense coughed up three turnovers. Jones and Coleman each scored five to help open an 89-83 cushion with 28 seconds left.

“We didn’t make plays, we turned the ball over the better team won tonight,†MAHS coach Todd Day said.

Jamie Coleman had 24 points, nine in the fourth quarter and overtime, to lead MAHS. Kevin Pruitt added 15.

Dominique Kimble had 14 points, including four big 3-pointers in the first and third quarters, for the Falcons.

The Vikings definitely have the talent but on a neutral court,on a given night and Devon and Zay coleman stays out of foul trouble.who knows.LC won once.Humboldt won twice a maybe 4 or 4 points when Lake Co was behind by about 15 and last game,Devon Jones didnt play a quarter the whole ball game.The Viking are very tough.But I still like Lake Co's chances.LC coach doesnt like to play a zone.Who knows.Maybe she will next game.Not convinced Humboldt is that good a shooting team from outside other than Turner and Bradford.Turner puts a lot of spin on his ball.Think he will struggle at the Boro.Really like Bradford.One thing I like.Lake co may get beat first game.But cant meet Humbodlt until the finals if they make it that far.A lot different playing on a neutral court than at Humboldt.TCa amy have given them a better game away from humboldt.But they are tough and will be one of the favorites.

Bigster let's get the facts straight even though it really don't matter, LC beat Humboldt in OT at lake county, Humboldt beat them by 12 at home & 11 at Trenton then six again at home during the regionals! You keep talking about Humboldt not having any shooters & playing a zone, well TCA played a zone. Humboldt played LC in a man & held Zay to 15 if anyone can't shoot outside it's LC! I've told you "Defense" will be what wins games!! The past doesn't matter from this point but LC is a two man team & if you can keep Zay from driving LC is one dimensional, not saying he is not a good player but we beat LC with Bradford only scoring 4 points! Congrats on your win last night & good luck at the " Glass" house & we can meet for a fifth time for championship!!!

Bigster let's get the facts straight even though it really don't matter, LC beat Humboldt in OT at lake county, Humboldt beat them by 12 at home & 11 at Trenton then six again at home during the regionals! You keep talking about Humboldt not having any shooters & playing a zone, well TCA played a zone. Humboldt played LC in a man & held Zay to 15 if anyone can't shoot outside it's LC! I've told you "Defense" will be what wins games!! The past doesn't matter from this point but LC is a two man team & if you can keep Zay from driving LC is one dimensional, not saying he is not a good player but we beat LC with Bradford only scoring 4 points! Congrats on your win last night & good luck at the " Glass" house & we can meet for a fifth time for championship!!!

Yes you did.But Devon didnt play a quarter the whole ball game.We have admitted LC doesnt have any shooters but if they play like they did against Liberty,UC ,Middleton and last night.Can beat any Single a team on a given night.If Bradford only would have played about a quarter,doubt Humboldt wins.But hopefully it will happen.On a neutral court,a different setting instead of a high school gym with walls.LC may have only 2 shooters but so does does Humboldt in Bradfrd and Turner.But like you said.Doesnt matter now.a new season.I actually like LC's chances.Hopefully we'll both win and meet one more time.

The Range, nothing illegal here in LC. lost 6 of 8 seniors from last year's state tournament team and struggled throughout the year. The boys have stepped their game up and have become hot at the right time. Was a 7 seed in the district but beat 2 seed Greenfield in the first round of district. Finished 4th seed in the district then went to 1 seed Mckenzie and won then upset 2 seed Union City in the region semifinals. Now went on the road to Memphis and won a big substate game in 2 OT!! This team is young but has alot of heart and to GREAT players in Devon Jones and Zay Coleman. 3 straight years to the Boro under Coach Barger. Great job Falcons and coaching staff.

Oh I was in no way implying any cheating. I just didn't think it seemed right. I've always known of LCD being a top team in the state. I even found myself cheering for them after the btw game in the tourney last year. Sounds like they have just won the important games they have had to win.

Correction on the Commercial Appeal article in that Lake Co. did not forfiet 11 games only 4 wins. Player played in a total of 6 games but 2 were losses to Dyer Co. and Humboldt. The 4 wins were Middleton, Halls, Liberty and Trenton-Peabody. So as I said in another post the record would still only be like 12-19 without taking away the forfiets. This team is getting better and starting to gel. Young players stepping up. They got hot at the right time and earned the victory last night over a very good MAHS team. Viking as I have said Humboldt to me has been the best Single A team in West TN all year and their length gives us match-up problems. The thing is just like last night the experience of LC knowing what it takes to win on the big stage showed. I would like our chances IF we get one final shot at the Vikings but we both got some work to do before that happens. Good luck to you guys will be rooting for you until we meet up.

Correction on the Commercial Appeal article in that Lake Co. did not forfiet 11 games only 4 wins. Player played in a total of 6 games but 2 were losses to Dyer Co. and Humboldt. The 4 wins were Middleton, Halls, Liberty and Trenton-Peabody. So as I said in another post the record would still only be like 12-19 without taking away the forfiets. This team is getting better and starting to gel. Young players stepping up. They got hot at the right time and earned the victory last night over a very good MAHS team. Viking as I have said Humboldt to me has been the best Single A team in West TN all year and their length gives us match-up problems. The thing is just like last night the experience of LC knowing what it takes to win on the big stage showed. I would like our chances IF we get one final shot at the Vikings but we both got some work to do before that happens. Good luck to you guys will be rooting for you until we meet up.

I agree with you Wardawg.Humboldt has as much talent as anyone.Not convinced they are better than Union City.Union City did beat Humboldt twice,once by 11 points.Union City could shoot them out of that zone,Should have also beaten them in the district finals but blew a 10 point lead going into the last quarter by missing free throws.And Union City beat LC twice handidly during the season but Lake Co thoroughly outplayed UC in the region.So.still think Union City is probably the better team but Lake co played lights out that night.Also last night.Anyone that was there last night and MAHS was in a zone.Would have said.That is a good shooting team.Never know.If Kimble shoots like he did last night,would really hepl Zay and Devon.He hit some from way out past the 3 point line.Hoping to play Humboldt just 1 more time.I know they won 3 times.Two of the games,they held on for dear life.LC could have taken the lead or tied but with only a minute left had to foul.Last game,Devon was in foul trouble early and that didnt help.Those games mean nothing now.Just as the Uc games when it counted.So hopefully we'll see if we do happen to meet again.We both may lose the first game.If Bradford or Zay or Devon gets in foul trouble for Humboldt and us.Probably wouldnt like either teams chances.

Yes you did.But Devon didnt play a quarter the whole ball game.We have admitted LC doesnt have any shooters but if they play like they did against Liberty,UC ,Middleton and last night.Can beat any Single a team on a given night.If Bradford only would have played about a quarter,doubt Humboldt wins.But hopefully it will happen.On a neutral court,a different setting instead of a high school gym with walls.LC may have only 2 shooters but so does does Humboldt in Bradfrd and Turner.But like you said.Doesnt matter now.a new season.I actually like LC's chances.Hopefully we'll both win and meet one more time.

I just want you to state facts, Humboldt might not win but like I said if they continue to play defense & crash the boards, we want have to worry about not having shooters as you say! Play man or zone don't matter because it's state tournament time & if Humboldt don't come to play it will be over anyway!!! Also, the only difference in our shooters & yours is that Humboldt shooters can also beat you off the dribble, that's the difference but I'm threw talking the teams will decide the outcome not what If's!!! Good luck at "State"!

I agree with you Wardawg.Humboldt has as much talent as anyone.Not convinced they are better than Union City.Union City did beat Humboldt twice,once by 11 points.Union City could shoot them out of that zone,Should have also beaten them in the district finals but blew a 10 point lead going into the last quarter by missing free throws.And Union City beat LC twice handidly during the season but Lake Co thoroughly outplayed UC in the region.So.still think Union City is probably the better team but Lake co played lights out that night.Also last night.Anyone that was there last night and MAHS was in a zone.Would have said.That is a good shooting team.Never know.If Kimble shoots like he did last night,would really hepl Zay and Devon.He hit some from way out past the 3 point line.Hoping to play Humboldt just 1 more time.I know they won 3 times.Two of the games,they held on for dear life.LC could have taken the lead or tied but with only a minute left had to foul.Last game,Devon was in foul trouble early and that didnt help.Those games mean nothing now.Just as the Uc games when it counted.So hopefully we'll see if we do happen to meet again.We both may lose the first game.If Bradford or Zay or Devon gets in foul trouble for Humboldt and us.Probably wouldnt like either teams chances.

Also, if you want to keep players out of foul trouble play zone but I was at the last game & Devon didn't miss a entire quarter, he played just about entire first half and sat for a couple minutes in second half because Humboldt was pulling away & was put back in the game! Don't try to justify a lost because that doesn't matter now and those games are " History" but you do have a opinion!!!

Bigster as I have said I feel Humboldt is the favorite in the tournament and was the best team in the district all year even though they lost to UC twice. They just have more length, are more physical and have more depth than the Tornadoes or anyone else in our distrcit. With that said history says they seem to struggle in the glass house. Inexperience may haunt their young team. I hope not because I want to play them one more time and see what happens on he big stage at a neutral site.

I agree Wardawg that Humboldt probably the best 1A team.I thought they had the best some other years but they never won it.I think that Bradford and Coleman will be the best 2 Single A players there.LC and Humboldt will be my picks for the championship with Humboldt winning it.Humboldt has the length to keep Zay on the perimeter and when he does get in the paint they alter his shot.Humboldt keeps him from getting 25-30 against them.Its a neutral court so anything can happen. Dont roast me Wardawg,Bigster, and Tiger.LOL