TNAAU State tournament seeding

durdon

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the guys at TrackWrestling... On the profile ranking percentage. So we could use track to help out in the future.

The percentage compares them to all other profiles. The ranking is based on how a wrestlers has done in 4 different levels of tournaments in the last year. The 4 levels are local, state, regional national, and national. Each category gets an average percentile of how the wrestler finished in the bracket they were in for that tournament. For example, getting 4th in a bracket with 8 wrestlers is the same as getting 8th in a bracket with 16 wrestlers. For everyone that doesn't place, their percentile is based on the number of wins they get. The percentiles values for each category are then combined and weighted to give the final number. A wrestlers ranking is re-calculated about once every two to four weeks (the rank date tells you when it was last calculated).

The rankings are done automatically, manual changes cannot be made and every profile is calculated using the exact same formula. Be sure the events are correct on your profile and the ranking will be accurate.

From the guys at TrackWrestling... On the profile ranking percentage. So we could use track to help out in the future.

The percentage compares them to all other profiles. The ranking is based on how a wrestlers has done in 4 different levels of tournaments in the last year. The 4 levels are local, state, regional national, and national. Each category gets an average percentile of how the wrestler finished in the bracket they were in for that tournament. For example, getting 4th in a bracket with 8 wrestlers is the same as getting 8th in a bracket with 16 wrestlers. For everyone that doesn't place, their percentile is based on the number of wins they get. The percentiles values for each category are then combined and weighted to give the final number. A wrestlers ranking is re-calculated about once every two to four weeks (the rank date tells you when it was last calculated).

The rankings are done automatically, manual changes cannot be made and every profile is calculated using the exact same formula. Be sure the events are correct on your profile and the ranking will be accurate.

Ask how far in the past the system goes to calculate their ranking? The problem here is we switch divisions every two years, a kid may dominate in their 2nd yr as a novice then be an also ran in middle school, their profile would still show them as a top ranked wrestler especially if they were attending non-track tournaments. Youth wrestling is so varied, you can never compare apples to apples using this system.

My team profile shows 3 first year wrestlers who attended 1 tournament and are higher ranked than some who have wrestled for 5+ years. In addition, there are situations like last weeks regions where there were exhibition matches entered in track. A kid from lower weight was bumped up for matches and may have won the match but they were entered as losses so as not to screw up brackets. this kids profile now shows those losses.

Issues such as this must be addressed. Maybe the tournament directors want to take this on but I wouldnt.

Edited by humorwrestling

Shaner - your example of bantam 45 has 2 Chattanooga kids that finished in the top 4 at the union county top 100. Lewis who actually the only time he lost to Shelley was at the region 3 tourney is going to get screwed by the state seeding even though he probably the number 2 or 3 best wrestler in that weight class and he wrestled in 3 of the 4 top 100 tourneys. I just went through the brackets and took 15 minutes and manually did the seedlings which would be a nightmare at state to do all the brackets... I also ran the points off the top 100 and it matched my manual seedlings... I am assuming your kid is in the bracket so you know these kids well so tell me what u think about this seeding and if its fair...

1 seeds

1. Napier

2. Lewis

3. Shelley

4. Smith

2 seeds

1. Csala

2. Gobbell

3. Pope

4. Stahley

As it stands right now Lewis and Shelley will be split and there is an 82% chance that one of the will be on the same side with Napier and smith... So 3 of the 4 top seeds are probably going to end up on the same side and one of them will more than likely get locked out of the 3/4 match....

All because 2 of them come out of the same region....

Seedings are going to be difficult no matter how it is done. With 5 regions, it makes it that much more complicated. Just my opinion, there shouldn't be two number 1 seeds from the same region. That's just the nature of the sport, Region 3 is very strong in all age groups and wt classes in the state of TN. Some regions are stronger than others went separated for region tournament. For instance, Region 1 with Napier and Region 2 with Smith being the top wrestlers in those regions in this class. Pope, according to track has only wrestled in 3 tournaments all year long with 1 being the region 2 tournament where he placed 2nd out of 3. I would actually have Isaiah Calvin(region 4) as a 2 seed over Pope because Calvin is a returning state Medalist (4th) from last year. I don't know how this will play out because we have 5 Regions and both of them placed 2nd in their region. I don't think that using the top 100 tournament is an appropriate way to seed because there are some good wrestlers out there that chose not to wrestle in them and/or do not have the resources to travel to these tournament. Therefor basing the State seedings off of Top 100 tournaments would put these kids at a disadvantage, especially if one of these kids won their region. The seedings that you presented are probably what they will look like for the most part. I just don't see Lewis getting a 1 seed after placing 2nd in the region. Like you, I too think that he is a talented kid and one of the best in this class, unfortunately he lost what appeared to be a pretty competitive match to Shelley. I personally like the way that the High School Individuals are seeded but understand that this may not be feasible. I feel that it should be seeded 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. No matter where one is seeded, If they are the best then they will be on top at the end of the day but I wouldn't want to see the finals match in the first round. Yes I do have a kid in this class and we in fact got the short end of the stick last year at state. My son won the region but got Shelley his first match because Shelley didn't wrestle at regions and got the lowest seed in the tournament. It was indeed a good match. They met again in the National finals where Shelley won 5-4. I have no control over who we get. At the end of the day my kids have to go out and wrestle whoever steps on that mat. As far as the TN state tournament goes, I would like to see them seeded by Region placing. National tournament on the other hand, I don't mind if they use track to determine seeding because it's obviously hard to keep track of what everyone has done.

Is there a way to ensure that the events are correct and that wins/losses are correct? Does one need to be a member to correct these? My profile shows that we took 12th at a tournament last year and the completed bracket wasn't even submitted to track. It shows an inaccurate win/loss ratio, Im assuming because not all tournament that we have attended did not submit brackets to track. In my opinion, this is not a very accurate and would continue to cause issues in seeding. I am not a gold member on track so Im not familiar with the features of the system.