Dawson Resigns as Cheatham Basketball Coach

You think? She came in on the day of the sectional game with East and did an unannounced observation of his class during the last period of the day. If that is not a set-up I don't know what would be.

That is why I would never coach again unless it was in MS. Coach first and they don't care to even have you teach...well most don't. Ahh Great Chief...I could tell you all about the perils of working for an academic female principal...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What will Cheatham have returning?? Going into what was last year a weak district especially with Goodpasture departing, a new coach could have a chance to make immediate impact and win the district championship, crazy that the coach would be asked to leave after his successes and what IMO would more than likely be more continued success in the new district.

Not a Cheatham fan, but I believe they have Saunders and Darden returning. That alone is a good base for any coach.

Rupp, I had one briefly in our favorite county. She could have cared less about sports. Of course, she was also demoted to asst. principal for her last year just to let her get her year in for retirement. Funny she got demoted but they still took care of her in the end. The County way. Too bad I was from the "other" side of the county line. I would probably still be there if I was a homer. Lord knows they have proved they will cover up the screw-ups of their own.

Rupp, I had one briefly in our favorite county. She could have cared less about sports. Of course, she was also demoted to asst. principal for her last year just to let her get her year in for retirement. Funny she got demoted but they still took care of her in the end. The County way. Too bad I was from the "other" side of the county line. I would probably still be there if I was a homer. Lord knows they have proved they will cover up the screw-ups of their own.

Chief...I know of whom you speak...as to the "other side of the fence" thing...I am an inside the fencer and they treated me as an intruder...doesn't matter...it was for the best...and I no longer harbor ill feelings...old water under old bridges.

You think? She came in on the day of the sectional game with East and did an unannounced observation of his class during the last period of the day. If that is not a set-up I don't know what would be.

I don't know much about the county or the schools except that when my team played at CC in the state quarter finals this year that Was a great atmosphere and event. The cubs had a great sense of school and community pride. A smart principal and school board would leverage that pride and work it to better the school and the community. It seems that she has thrown it all away..... It is time for the adults to realize that they are only hurting themselves and yet kids.....

This is a shame. Cheatham could be the place to go in Middle TN. Now it has become the place to go away from.

I have lived in Cheatham County and attended k-12 in their schools. The last 6-7 years Cheatham County School Board and the schools have lost their minds. They continually have fired or moved teachers and principles from one school to another. The current principle at CCCHS was at Pegram elementary 2 years ago. Harpeth Middle got rid of the principle and vice principle last year and replaced them with unexperienced persons. When you move a 10 year experienced elementary principle to a high school, well what do you expect. I don't know the details on Dawson leaving, but if it was just simply a conflict or misunderstanding between him and the principle then that is just ridiculous and something needs to be really examined. Dawson coached through some tuff years and I hate he's not going to be able to finish with the guys he has groomed for 4 years. My point is the last 6-7 years Cheatham County Schools have really dropped from an over all view point of morality. From what some of these posts have said; maybe CCSB will step up and do what's right in this situation. If I remember right didn't they do something like this to Coach Farmer at Sycamore a couple years ago. Again he was a really good coach as well.

Please someone post something positive about Cheatham County Schools as I am having a hard time to think of anything.

I have lived in Cheatham County and attended k-12 in their schools. The last 6-7 years Cheatham County School Board and the schools have lost their minds. They continually have fired or moved teachers and principles from one school to another. The current principle at CCCHS was at Pegram elementary 2 years ago. Harpeth Middle got rid of the principle and vice principle last year and replaced them with unexperienced persons. When you move a 10 year experienced elementary principle to a high school, well what do you expect. I don't know the details on Dawson leaving, but if it was just simply a conflict or misunderstanding between him and the principle then that is just ridiculous and something needs to be really examined. Dawson coached through some tuff years and I hate he's not going to be able to finish with the guys he has groomed for 4 years. My point is the last 6-7 years Cheatham County Schools have really dropped from an over all view point of morality. From what some of these posts have said; maybe CCSB will step up and do what's right in this situation. If I remember right didn't they do something like this to Coach Farmer at Sycamore a couple years ago. Again he was a really good coach as well.

Please someone post something positive about Cheateham County Schools as I am having a hard time to think of anything.

Personally I can't think of anything nice to say. I moved to Ashland City when my children were young to get them out of the city. I thought and was told it was a great place to raise a family with a great school system. My oldest son graduated from CCHS in 2009, he went through 2 principals in four years. Then when he graduated I had another son enter the high school. In the 3 years he has been there he has already seen 2 principals. The only thing stable about the school for my kids were their coaches and now they have taken some of the best role models from them. I regret ever moving to Cheatham County. At least the Coaches cared about the kids and the Administration has taken that stability away from them. They are treated like Elementary School kids. IT IS RIDICULOUS. Now the decision comes to whether or not to let my youngest son attend there next year. This seems like a nightmare I'm living.

I'm in your shoes Saunders. I've graduated 2 from Harpeth and have a young one in the middle school. I made the same comment you just made before this school year on my Facebook page. It's a darn shame that $$$ are the only thing that keeps a child in the public school system. I'm too hard headed to give up and too old to give a crap about making people mad I guess. When the leaders in Cheatham County start every work day by putting the kids in their public school system at the top of their priority list, we'll have 3 high schools, 3 middle schools and 6 elementary schools we can be proud of. If they don't, we can expect more of the same that we've been getting the last 7-8 years.