A/AA Games this week

reaction

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ND controlled 75% of this game (if not more), multiple opportunities/shots within the 18 for ND...just none on frame (and should have been)...ND's keeper was never challenged the majority of the match (don't think he had to make any true 'saves')...Not sure how CCS beat Signal Mountain, and ND couldn't beat Signal Mountain...the mystery of high school soccer....

D

Well......We probably out shot them 25 to 4. We let them have two unmarked shots off throw ins at the 6. I want to take nothing away from Rockwood. They are an up and coming program and very well coached. The coach there knows what he has and plays to that. They are one of the most fit teams we have played. They also have a very disciplined sub pattern. They have one group that comes in and really pushes the attack hard till they run out of gas. Then a defensive group comes in with the intend to absorb what you hit them with.

At the same time, we just had breakdowns at the worst possible times in the worst possible places. We controlled play for the vast majority of the game. We have been in a funk for the past two weeks and we as a staff have no idea why. This will be the 1st time we have not been in the District finals in 6 or 7 years.

The Rockwood players did the game plan that their coach set up for them. Alcoa did not. The more disciplined team won.

:motorbike:

Edited by AlcoaDad

Care to go into more detail? I'm just curious.

This is hard to answer. For one, the are not as physically imposing as the past few CAK teams. Over the past few years, from an Alcoa point of view, CAK was bigger. This year in looking at the CAK players, we felt the size was about the same. The past few CAK teams were quick, but this years addition seemed faster with a touch more possession skill. This years team seemed to probe you less and attack quicker.

It is like comparing a Porsche and a Ferrari. Both are wonderful cars, just different.

Edited by AlcoaDad

Well......We probably out shot them 25 to 4. We let them have two unmarked shots off throw ins at the 6. I want to take nothing away from Rockwood. They are an up and coming program and very well coached. The coach there knows what he has and plays to that. They are one of the most fit teams we have played. They also have a very disciplined sub pattern. They have one group that comes in and really pushes the attack hard till they run out of gas. Then a defensive group comes in with the intend to absorb what you hit them with.

At the same time, we just had breakdowns at the worst possible times in the worst possible places. We controlled play for the vast majority of the game. We have been in a funk for the past two weeks and we as a staff have no idea why. This will be the 1st time we have not been in the District finals in 6 or 7 years.

The Rockwood players did the game plan that their coach set up for them. Alcoa did not. The more disciplined team won.

I think when you look at Alcoa soccer over the last couple of years, you really can put into perspective how special the Class of 09 with Adrian Womac, Dusty McClanahan, Andrew Mitchell, and Sam Thompson was. To make the State Tournament was quite the achievement for Alcoa Soccer but to make the Finals and even score first on, what I believe, was the best CAK team is even more impressive. Hats off to what Coach Gorman and Coach Fowler were able to do with that team and good luck to Alcoa Soccer in the future, I hope ya'll can get back to where the class of 09 took you.

Edited by CoachLogan74

Thansk for the quote...???

Welcome to CoachT...

Notre Dame stepped up and defeated Signal Mountain last night 3-0...Much better play by ND this time, versus the 4-3 loss they suffered in regular season to the SM Eagles...

Times Free Press mentioned that SM had two starters out..any word on why?

D

Edited by CHAMPDDS

Thansk for the quote...???

Welcome to CoachT...

Notre Dame stepped up and defeated Signal Mountain last night 3-0...Much better play by ND this time, versus the 4-3 loss they suffered in regular season to the SM Eagles...

Times Free Press mentioned that SM had two starters out..any word on why?

D

Missing starters probably explains why they wanted to move the game to today.

I think when you look at Alcoa soccer over the last couple of years, you really can put into perspective how special the Class of 09 with Adrian Womac, Dusty McClanahan, Andrew Mitchell, and Sam Thompson was. To make the State Tournament was quite the achievement for Alcoa Soccer but to make the Finals and even score first on, what I believe, was the best CAK team is even more impressive. Hats off to what Coach Gorman and Coach Fowler were able to do with that team and good luck to Alcoa Soccer in the future, I hope ya'll can get back to where the class of 09 took you.

That was a very special team. My son was a Freshman and played behind Adrian. We felt we were the champs on the public schools that year. There were a good many special players on that team. A Freshman named Austin Stone (now at Memphis University) scored the 1st goal on one of the sickest free kicks over a wall you will ever see (a quote from Big G). Brodus, Castro and Burkhalter were also on that team. If memory serves we also went to state the next year and were put out by CCS.

The challenge that Alcoa has as well as many smaller schools is to have dedicated soccer players. Players that play club soccer or are involved with the new Academy in Knoxville. I can track for you as we have fewer players with club experience how much more difficult it gets to have the excellence we want. The club culture has not reached Alcoa like it has many schools and it makes it harder for us. Also the opportunity to play more then one sport due to a smaller student body is something many young people can't turn down.

Thank you for the kind words regarding Alcoa soccer. Our goal each year is to get back to state and we are working toward that end.

That was a very special team. My son was a Freshman and played behind Adrian. We felt we were the champs on the public schools that year. There were a good many special players on that team. A Freshman named Austin Stone (now at Memphis University) scored the 1st goal on one of the sickest free kicks over a wall you will ever see (a quote from Big G). Brodus, Castro and Burkhalter were also on that team. If memory serves we also went to state the next year and were put out by CCS.

The challenge that Alcoa has as well as many smaller schools is to have dedicated soccer players. Players that play club soccer or are involved with the new Academy in Knoxville. I can track for you as we have fewer players with club experience how much more difficult it gets to have the excellence we want. The club culture has not reached Alcoa like it has many schools and it makes it harder for us. Also the opportunity to play more then one sport due to a smaller student body is something many young people can't turn down.

Thank you for the kind words regarding Alcoa soccer. Our goal each year is to get back to state and we are working toward that end.

I know the team quite well. It was actually Andrew Mitchell that scored the first goal which, having become friends with the Alcoa program through Coach Gorman later on, I learned that Mitchell had been very sick that week and hadn't played in the semis. His raw emotion was very special. I think what made that particular year so special, and not to take away from the next year's team, was the game against Catholic that Alcoa won. I'm sure you remember it well. Having never gotten over the hump of the "big bad privates", knocking out the team that many considered the state favorite in the Region Semis was very special. Alcoa has a fine tradition, and has had many GREAT players on both the boys side and even a few on the girl's side. I was hoping that the Blount United club would really take off as it has been my experience, like you stated, that the number of club players boosts the level of play their high school teams play at (which is the big argument in soccer as opposed to many other sports... public vs private or club vs non-club). I am an Alcoa fan when they're not playing CAK. I remember your son, particularly his game against CAK in the PK shootout 2 seasons ago, as well as Roberto, Burky, Austin and all the guys. Being friends with Coach Gorman and seeing Alcoa three times a year was a great way to build relationships outside of our little walls. Again, props to what Gorman and Fowler built, and again, I really hope that you all get back to that level. Having Catholic back in our region starting next season will make the road more difficult but I think that Womac, Thompson, or any of the other guys from that special class would say that it was all the years of playing the CAKs and Catholics that really prepared them for their special run.