my honest assessment of lake co/humbolt

topper06

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.... Just goes to show at the high school level that pure athleticism can win championships. It may not be pretty, but at the end of the day, a state championship is a state championship...

agreed...maybe that is why the memphis teams win...and look i never said these 2 coaches aren't great people bc they are...the lady at lake, well her record speaks for itself and she has class...boykins has been at humboldt since shep was a pup and is obviously loved by the community...

Boykin has taught at Humboldt for ages.He was my freshman science teacher in 1978.His teams do play too fast a pace to suit me but they're always one of the better teams in this area.A lot of the starters also are on the football team & next year looks promising so we'll see how it goes.Congrats to the Vikings on winning the state championship this year.In my senior year at HHS we were the runners-up to Memphis Central but Cookie Smith still won the tournament MVP award.

well the first thing that people should be mindful of is that this is single A and you just aren't going to find very many teams (if any) that has a roster full of skilled players....if your lucky you might have three on the whole team at the singe A level that make significant contributions, and that includes Humboldt.

Humboldt was clearly and without question the team with the most talent but far from being really skilled, however I would love to attend a handful of their practices because I've been watching this team for years and all you usually see is basically roll out a basketball and do whatever. I mean I'm serious what do they really do in practice. They should have won this game by at least 20+.

Having said that, congrats to the Vikings for winning the Gold Ball. In the grand scheme of things that's all that matters and all that people remember anyway.

Just remember this is single A and it's kind of unfair to think of these teams as really high level although they are still good.

Edited by yankees8589

My honest assessment is this thread is a joke!! I would put Coach Barger up against any coach in this state I don't care what class. Single A game today was by far the best game played the other two were very 1 sided. As I said in another thread the lady has been a head coach for 3 years and has made the state tourney all 3 years and has a gold and silver ball along with a final 4 appearance and a 6-2 tournament record. This team wins a Silver ball and began the year with only 2 players with any meaningful varsity experience. I agree the game was sloppy at times but that had as much to do with the effort each team played with and the physical play that was allowed to go on both sides than anything. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but let's at least make it an informed 1.

I think a female coach can get away with it on the a level but not in 3a with the big boys. sorry to upset you but it is what it is...and i still think she should try to help the female atletes at lake and make them winners if she truly is a good coach...let her coach both.

Topper06, why do you feel so threatened by a female coaching boys? I know you say your ole-fashioned but guess what it is 2013 and hey women can vote, run corporations, and even coach basketball! Again as I said I would put Coach B on the court against any coach A thru AAA. Just a quick story for you from the tournament Southwind, AAA state champ, practiced at Riverdale after our Falcons and as they were coming on the floor J3, the 6,10 player for Southwind, asked Coach B if she would take a picture with him and told her he was a big fan of her and what she had done coaching boys. Their coach even told her he liked what she was doing and had borrowed some of her plays to use himself. A college coach stopped her mom after the championship game and told her to make sure Coach B new that she was a heck of a coach. Hate it all you want but boys are boys in Single A or AAA and she can teach the game and relate to the young men and that is what makes her a great coach. As for the girl's comment we are ok in that spot as well since Coach Johnson has taken LC to 3 of the last 5 state tournaments and finished in the sub-state this year and Regional semi's the other year he did not make the dance. So he does a great job and we are proud of our Coaching staffs in little ole single A Lake Co.