Wrestler matrix...thoughts?

CPOPE2

I do not understand why some tournaments don't open these til the registration deadline. I won't drive 30 minutes (much less 4-4.5 hrs) unless I know my son will get plenty of competitive matches. I'm sure there are many who run from the competition but I would like to think there are more who run to it. I'm not just singling out AAU Spring Youth Nationals but it happens to be the current tournament that has chosen to do this while many Georgia wrestlers are on the fence about going. Hope the powers that be reconsider or we'll have to look forward to Iowa and Ohio; both of which post wrestler lists.

What is the benefit of closing out the wrestler matrix/list?

I am always reluctant to enter a tournament that does not release a wrestler list or a matrix. I was considering entering my son in the Dixie Duals youth tournament, but with no info decided not to make a long journey on the hopes of a good bracket. I will bump him up a weight class or an age division to get the toughest competition. That doesn't help his record any, but I believe it makes him a much better wrestler in the end. We don't have that option when there is no information available. He is already registered for SYN because he had 8 others in his bracket when the list was available. I am not sure we would drive 7+ hours if I had not known anything about his bracket.

Agree on the matrix/wrestler list, but am I the only one who thinks its ABSOLUTELY RIDCULOUS that coaches are being charged $25. Can someone please explain why?? I have never, at any tournament I've attended, eat $25 worth of hospitality food.

Pretty much all national tournaments charge for a coaches pass. I think it's mostly because unlike local tournaments where a coach brings his whole team in national tournaments its a coach/ dad bringing his own kid. Medals and awards are usually nicer, the refs are you usually brought in from outside the area and put in hotels , there is usually a large venue rental fee. There are a lot if things that go into it. Don't count on much of a hospitality room though.

I wish they would open the matrix/list again. There is a wrestler from our club that only had one wrestler signed up before they closed it. I personally would drive 5 hours and pay $45 for my kid to wrestle one person. I was wondering if they close for a numbers standpoint. I just assumed they closed it for low numbers thinking that people were watching the list and basing decisions off that. I don't know. I also paid $20 for a coaches pass and will prob never see the hospitality room. I think it's a bit expensive but let's not forget coaches get that T shirt too! Lol oh well, my kids want to go so we will be there.

Agreed, I skipped the Dixie Youth dual for the same reason... and I am on the fence about the East Coast Nationals for the same reason. I can see if you don't want to release the names even though I don't agree with it but not releasing at least releasing the matrix hurts turnout the late in the year, especially for kids who usually have small brackets to begin with...

Here is why we usually do not release the matrix. Wrestling coaches and parents, including myself, are the world's worst (or best depending on how you look at it, about waiting to the last minute to register. So what happens is, registration on Monday we had about 231 wrestlers signed up and ended up with around 520. Now if some coaches/parents had viewed the Matrix on Monday and saw 1 kid in their wrestlers weight class, they may not sign up because it would appear that their guy would only have 1 match. We actually heard from some coaches who stated that in their own words.