Role of High School Coach in Recruting Process

indexspace

Close to zero......If your kid has the abilities such as pitcher with above 85MPH fastball, 60 speed of sub 7.0 sec, and/or best bat on the team or region......go to perfectgame showcase (not tournament) and get ranked and evaluated. Then as a parent, remember that each college baseball coach gets the grand total of 11.7 schollarships for 35 team members. I remind you of this because college coaches LOVE good students......they can give 1/3 baseball scholli and 1/2 academic and voila you have a nice package. If your kid ranks well with PG, then I would highly recommend that YOU broadcast that via a recruiting service such as NCSA or BeRecruited. These services will do what a HS coach will not which is broadcast your stats to college coaches. The only real value of HS coaches is that after a college coach has thoroughly evaluated a prospect he may call the HS coach to get his endorsement. The lesson here (from a Dad whose son will be playing D1 baseball next year) is DO NOT DEPEND ON A HS COACH TO DO YOUR WORK!

Most if not all baseball recruiting happens during the summer travel season. College coaches are too busy with their own seasons to see any high school games. This is no different in basketball. AAU is where most players are identified.

That being said, there are a lot of small schools out there where a kid can get a chance to play college ball. You will just have to be able to pay for it. Like Bwood said, there is limited scholarship money around in the minor sports.

Thanks for the addition BigChief.....I forgot to mention the value of a good travel team in the summer. A good team will be at right tournaments such as the PG tournament in Atlanta.....my son played in this one and I counted over 20 major colleges in attendance. A bad travel team will just take your money and stay relatively local.

Edited by BWood1

Bwood, Bigchief...This is ALL very true. I have been around baseball along time. DO NOT depend on most HS coaches to get your son in front of recruiter. I have seen twice as many scouts at Summer games than HS games, there may be very few exceptions, if you're playing with or are a BIG TIME player, which most are not. Summer ball and camps, you will be seen...

Like Bigchief said, during the HS season colleges are playing as well.

I will agree with everyone that the summertime is the best time to get noticed, because college coaches can see hundreds of prospects in 3 days which cant be done during the season. Recruiting has alot of marketing in it, so a good high school coach will do that for their players during the spring season, so that college coaches will know of them when they play summer ball. If you are going to play summer ball, you MUST find a team that will commit itself to playing in the best tourneys and showcases and playing the best teams or you have wasted your money and time. As a coach, I feel its my duty to get my players names out to as many coaches as possible and work fevershly to do so, but ultimely its what they do at the showcases and summer events that will get them noticed by college scouts!!