And Giles New Coach Is.........

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not totally sold on the hire. Nothing against Smith. Don't personally know him at all. Going back to the Marco Daly days at Mt. Pleasant, I didn't feel those teams were very well coached. Too much was placed on Daly's shoulders and good coaches later in the playoff rounds were able to shut MP down because the whole offense revolved around his running. Extremely vanilla on offense. There were also a lot of dicipline issues on those teams. Hopefully none of these issues show up at Giles and the problems were more related to MP than Coach Smith.

WOMG you make it seem as if Smith was the first choice when in fact I know there was at least one that turned the job down (Rice). So how does the 2nd or 3rd choice feel about not being first?

40+ turned in applications. The search narrowed to 10 or so. After another round of interviews it narrowed to 5. All 5 were asked if they were offered the job would they come. 3 said yes and 2 backed out. Coach Walt Smith was the 2nd choice when Johnson was hired. He was on the SHORT list from the beginning this time. The Bobcats got the man they wanted. Coach Cardin put countless hours into selecting the right man for the job and he got him.

What I can tell you is that any team would have been extremely happy to have any of those 5 coaches as their head man. All 5 were the "first" choice. Coach Smith has hit the ground running both on the football field and in the community. There is no question that we have the right man for the Bobcat program...... :ugeek:

40+ turned in applications. The search narrowed to 10 or so. After another round of interviews it narrowed to 5. All 5 were asked if they were offered the job would they come. 3 said yes and 2 backed out. Coach Walt Smith was the 2nd choice when Johnson was hired. He was on the SHORT list from the beginning this time. The Bobcats got the man they wanted. Coach Cardin put countless hours into selecting the right man for the job and he got him.

What I can tell you is that any team would have been extremely happy to have any of those 5 coaches as their head man. All 5 were the "first" choice. Coach Smith has hit the ground running both on the football field and in the community. There is no question that we have the right man for the Bobcat program...... :ugeek:

That's a highly unusual scenereo you stated. Five were "ask" if they were offered the job, would they "take it". Why were they interviewing if they didn't want it??? What seems more believable if that the first two were offered the job and couldn't agree on terms. Not saying it didn 't happen as you stated, merely that it makes no sense.....

That's a highly unusual scenereo you stated. Five were "ask" if they were offered the job, would they "take it". Why were they interviewing if they didn't want it??? What seems more believable if that the first two were offered the job and couldn't agree on terms. Not saying it didn 't happen as you stated, merely that it makes no sense.....

Good question. Wanted to ask some that question myself. It seems like some coaches just like to apply for the jobs to gage their worth or to return to their school hinting for increased perks or a pat on the back. I assume the actual question was more like you're in the top 5 so lets talk about the timing and what your plans are to acquire a staff if you are offered the job. Their response either put them in or eliminated them.

Matters not. Bobcats got the best man for the job..... :ugeek: