Cheatham Head Coaching slot will soon be open

Par for the course in good ol Cheatham Co! I don't blame the guy for leaving. MJ would be a good choice, but we won't average 45 points again.

I don't think anyone said that the 2013 Cubs would average 45 points per game. I think he was implying that last year's Cubs team did average 45 points per game. That's something that has never been done in Cheatham County. They were a special group. The offensive line was big and physical and they have three 1,400 yard backs who just came at you in waves. The playoff games in Ashland City last year were the most packed any football stadium has been in the county in a long time, possibly ever. I know howdy has said this on here before but Cheatham County has won 18 of its last 22 overall football games. You'd be hard pressed to find 5 programs in 3A football who can say this is the case for their school. It's a simple hire in my opinion. The question is though will the people at central office be willing to put their feelings for the former head coach aside and hire his right-hand man to keep the program rolling.

So you are basically saying that since things are so messed up they should bring in somebody who is already in the system to fix it? Doesn't it make more sense to bring in a HC from outside who would be willing to stand up to some of this garbage and make some changes that would improve the program, generate even more enthusiasm and move the program, school and district in a better direction?

Why is everybody so afraid to change stuff when it breaks? This is like keeping a flat tire on your car rather than getting a new one.

The people of this community are fed up and will not take another mistake to lead our boys. We need a coach. Summer workouts should begin on Monday and we're nowhere close to have a coaching staff, let alone a coach, in place. Coach Jackson is the only guy for the job. He ran workouts and the boys were getting bigger and stronger in the weight room. This idiot that they just hired and then he resigned didn't even have the boys working out the last 2 weeks. He said weight lifting does not beat conditioning so he had the boys running on the field and doing routes and throwing the ball. THIS IS FOOTBALL! Kids need to be big and strong and play physical. That's the only way Cheatham County teams can compete with the Sumner, Davidson, and Williamson Counties of the state. Stan Curtis intentionally hired Jakobik despite the panel's vote. His choice has proven to be wrong. It should be OUR CHOICE to do what's best for OUR KIDS! We are speaking as a community united. Hire COACH Michael Jackson to coach our children.

Curtis, like Webb, is only after the $$$$. He is set up better than the President of the US and the men and women on the Cheatham County School Board are to blame, no one else.

Consider who has been fired or resigned (all in county, long term educators) and how has replaced them (all new or out of county personnel).

Divide and conquer. Kill the old and surround yourself with cronies. Old school, corrupt politics,

So you are basically saying that since things are so messed up they should bring in somebody who is already in the system to fix it? Doesn't it make more sense to bring in a HC from outside who would be willing to stand up to some of this garbage and make some changes that would improve the program, generate even more enthusiasm and move the program, school and district in a better direction?

Why is everybody so afraid to change stuff when it breaks? This is like keeping a flat tire on your car rather than getting a new one.

If you think that the previous staff did not bring enthusiasm and fight to change the state of things then you are sadly mistaken. That's what gave Cody a bad rep with the board for years. It's what gave Carr a bad rep with the board as well. It's what gave Tharp a bad rep with the board. Dawson fought for change and he got ran off too. I can go on and on if you'd like me to do so. The kids need a proven leader that they can trust. They don't need another outsider who doesn't know the nature of the beast that's being dealt with here.

Curtis, like Webb, is only after the $$$$. He is set up better than the President of the US and the men and women on the Cheatham County School Board are to blame, no one else.

Consider who has been fired or resigned (all in county, long term educators) and how has replaced them (all new or out of county personnel).

Divide and conquer. Kill the old and surround yourself with cronies. Old school, corrupt politics,

Yes sir!

Does it make sense to change one of the few programs that has had success in the county school system? Your comments are idiotic

The people of this community are fed up and will not take another mistake to lead our boys. We need a coach. Summer workouts should begin on Monday and we're nowhere close to have a coaching staff, let alone a coach, in place. Coach Jackson is the only guy for the job. He ran workouts and the boys were getting bigger and stronger in the weight room. This idiot that they just hired and then he resigned didn't even have the boys working out the last 2 weeks. He said weight lifting does not beat conditioning so he had the boys running on the field and doing routes and throwing the ball. THIS IS FOOTBALL! Kids need to be big and strong and play physical. That's the only way Cheatham County teams can compete with the Sumner, Davidson, and Williamson Counties of the state. Stan Curtis intentionally hired Jakobik despite the panel's vote. His choice has proven to be wrong. It should be OUR CHOICE to do what's best for OUR KIDS! We are speaking as a community united. Hire COACH Michael Jackson to coach our children.

You are using the wrong venue to vent. Only a few people from Cheatham County are viewing this forum. You are getting attention elsewhere but they dont have a dog in the fight, and the others are going to shut you down again as soon as the embarassing truths are presented. If you really want to get noticed take your issues to the press. Take your issues to the streets of Cheatham County. There are alot of angry people here in this county. Sept 11, 2012 was a day in which over 100 people (parents and athletes) became enraged over the dismissal of their wrestling coach. 30 of these parents were thrown out of Sycamore High School by the SRO and Principal that very day. Alot of them are still angry as they had to sit and watch their program fall apart. If you want to reach the "County" then hit the streets. Invite the press to come and watch.

You are using the wrong venue to vent. Only a few people from Cheatham County are viewing this forum. You are getting attention elsewhere but they dont have a dog in the fight, and the others are going to shut you down again as soon as the embarassing truths are presented. If you really want to get noticed take your issues to the press. Take your issues to the streets of Cheatham County. There are alot of angry people here in this county. Sept 11, 2012 was a day in which over 100 people (parents and athletes) became enraged over the dismissal of their wrestling coach. 30 of these parents were thrown out of Sycamore High School by the SRO and Principal that very day. Alot of them are still angry as they had to sit and watch their program fall apart. If you want to reach the "County" then hit the streets. Invite the press to come and watch.

I have sat back and watched the angry posters state their thoughts and just read your response to one of them. I understand and respect their opinions. The parents and other family members of the kids are worried that summer is here and still no coach is in place. I do think that Dr. Curtis was looking for an outsider to start fresh with the kids but I also agree with the poster who said someone who the kids know and trust would be a strong fit. I don't think coaches get "hired or considered" by read postings on CoachT. At the same time I do agree with the majority that Michael would be a great hire. He's been a teacher and a coach there for 8 years, the school's AD for 2 and 1/2 years, is certified in multiple content areas (plus a Master's degree), has a strong rapport with the student body at the school as well as with the people in the community, and is well respected by coaches throughout the district. Either way though I want the district to hire a coach who knows and understands the way things are in the county. This means understanding the number of coaches you have on staff, understanding the facilities and time commitment it takes to keep them updated, and most importantly understanding the types of kids you have and being able to coach them up to be successful on the field as well as in the classroom (which in essence requires having a good relationship with the other teachers on the faculty). All of those are required of a coach to be successful in Cheatham County. Whoever the next coach is I will wish him the best of luck!

If you think that the previous staff did not bring enthusiasm and fight to change the state of things then you are sadly mistaken. That's what gave Cody a bad rep with the board for years. It's what gave Carr a bad rep with the board as well. It's what gave Tharp a bad rep with the board. Dawson fought for change and he got ran off too. I can go on and on if you'd like me to do so. The kids need a proven leader that they can trust. They don't need another outsider who doesn't know the nature of the beast that's being dealt with here.

Easy.....don't shoot the messenger. Just asking a question. I know Cody so I get that he was fighting for stuff, etc. What I am talking about it somebody who will stand up to them the same way Cody did, but isn't from there and can survive without the job. Someone who has nothing locally to lose and is willing to be fired, if it takes that, to do what is right for the kids.

I get that there was a bad choice made, but wouldn't it also make sense to explore options? What if you had a really good coach who was willilng to come in there and do whatever is necessary to get the job done? What if this new coach was willing to work with the guys already in place and invest themselves in the community? What if this guy wanted to get the people more involved than even before and keep working for progress in the program? What if this new guy knows a BETTER way to get things done and win games?

I just think that by shutting off the possibility of anyone coming in to coach there you are being a bit shortsighted and assuming that nobody outside Cheatham County knows anything about football. "The way things are done in Cheatham County" might not be the best, or only, option.

Edited by DeadlyCatch

Does it make sense to change one of the few programs that has had success in the county school system? Your comments are idiotic

Wow....thanks pot.

Its idiotic to assume that they way Cody did things is the only way and that it must be continued. Cody is a good coach and a good guy, but even he would admit there is always a better way to do something. You assuming that its the best because it works in Cheatham County is shortsighted and idiotic. Maybe there is an even better way. Maybe somebody outside could come in there and win a state title.

I guess that's idiotic as well. In that case, just sit back and enjoy the first round of the playoffs every year. No need to make things even better.

I have sat back and watched the angry posters state their thoughts and just read your response to one of them. I understand and respect their opinions. The parents and other family members of the kids are worried that summer is here and still no coach is in place. I do think that Dr. Curtis was looking for an outsider to start fresh with the kids but I also agree with the poster who said someone who the kids know and trust would be a strong fit. I don't think coaches get "hired or considered" by read postings on CoachT. At the same time I do agree with the majority that Michael would be a great hire. He's been a teacher and a coach there for 8 years, the school's AD for 2 and 1/2 years, is certified in multiple content areas (plus a Master's degree), has a strong rapport with the student body at the school as well as with the people in the community, and is well respected by coaches throughout the district. Either way though I want the district to hire a coach who knows and understands the way things are in the county. This means understanding the number of coaches you have on staff, understanding the facilities and time commitment it takes to keep them updated, and most importantly understanding the types of kids you have and being able to coach them up to be successful on the field as well as in the classroom (which in essence requires having a good relationship with the other teachers on the faculty). All of those are required of a coach to be successful in Cheatham County. Whoever the next coach is I will wish him the best of luck!

None of that is any different from coaching in Metro Nashville. There are programs in Nashville that have limited coaches. Hunters Lane last year had a very small staff in a 6A school. Glencliff, Stratford and others survive on limited staff options. Whites Creek and others work with skeleton crews all the time. Metro coaches cut the fields, repair equipment and facilities, all that. There is one coach in metro who is still waiting on over a dozen work orders he put in THREE years ago to get done. When it comes to understanding Cheatham County and the issues there, I assure you Metro coaches get it.

The problems with your board folks are repeated daily in Metro schools. They experience the same issues all the time. Cheatham County has not even come close to cornering the market on ludicrous board decisions. There are good coaches who could come in and help you if given the chance. In fact, they might make things even better (I know, shocker, right?).