Cleveland Coach Al Miller - Nat'l Assistant Coach of Year

bbb

Al Miller has given to the sport of wrestling for four decades from leading local youth wrestling clinics to coaching in international junior competitions.

As he retires as teacher and coach at Cleveland High School this month, the sport gives back to him as one more honor - National Assistant Wrestling Coach of the Year - comes his way selected by the National Wrestling Coaches Assoc..

Miller is a member of three sports halls of fame - Tennessee Chapter, National Wrestling Hall of Fame as well as the Bradley County and Greater Chattanooga Sports Halls of Fame.

While head coach at Cleveland, Miller led the Blue Raiders to three small school state duals (1992-93-94) and two traditional state titles (1980, 1994).

The former Red Bank High School and Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestler has also been selected as the NWCA Assistant Coach of the Year for the state of Tennessee and the Southeast District.

In his final season matside, he helped guide the Blue Raiders to the D-I AAA state duals and state traditional championships in February.

While he soon retires from Cleveland HS, Miller will continue to be active in the sport and serve as the NWCA state of Tennessee director for the 2013-2014 school year.

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

Edited by bbb

So weird to think of Cleveland without Coach Miller... Kudo's to both him & his wife and family for their enormous contributions!

On a side note... Glad we now have Pete M. in a newer area heading up Summit HS wrestling in a virgin territory with great families, Springhill, (only 15 minutes from Columbia in Maury Co.). Maybe-hopefully we'll see history repeat itself similar to what the Miller's, Varnell, Jackson, Morris and Logsdon's influence had in Bradley Co over the years! :)

Maybe a little Check Into Cash won't hurt?

Great article BB. Coach Miller is very deserving of this honor for all he has done for Cleveland wrestling. Coach Miller MADE Cleveland wrestling relevant. It will be odd to see the Cleveland bench and wrestling team without Coach Miller on the sideline. Congrats to Coach Miller and I wish you well in the future.

Edited by hoosierdad

I enjoyed competing against Coach Miller's teams as both a wrestler and a coach.. I was even able to compete

for him in the old "Black and Blue Takedown Club" in the early 80's. He always welcomed me into his wrestling building to work out with Johnny Lennon, and was in fact, the first guy to shake my hand (after my coaches) when I came off the mat in the '84 State Finals.. I never met a guy who loved our sport any more than Coach Miller. Congratulations, Coach!

- Steve Logsdon