What would you do if a coach

FightinIllini

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say "Yes Sir!" High schools sports is not public education, it is an elective activity. A player's right to play ends at the tip of his or her head coach's nose.

You don't like what a coach does, do the right thing. Talk to him or her face to face, in private. Social media is for cowards. Please note that I use my name on comment websites....

I commend the coach. More of this is needed especially with jack ___ parents. I suggest you parents change your ways or hit the road. The schools should ban these parents from all school functions and warrants taken out for harassment. You need a court date or a good ____ whipping.

Your the reason that makes coaching an nondesired profession

I suspended a player for telling me to kiss his ____ on Twitter because I was bringing them in to hit at 6:30am. I also approached the principal about another kid (not a baseball player) who popped off. The school couldn't do anything bc he didn't do it on school grounds, on school time, or on school equipment. He didn't threaten me so it was nothing school could do, but his football coach really blasted him and threatened to suspend him for his actions. The Supreme Court has ruled on this. Don't like it - Don't play!!

threatened to dismiss a player from the team if he felt comments made by a player or player parent on social media sites such as twitter, coacht and facebook were deemed to be negative?

At the HS or college level?

Then that coach should spend less time worrying about CoachT, and more time coaching his team up.

I commend the coach. More of this is needed especially with jack ___ parents. I suggest you parents change your ways or hit the road. The schools should ban these parents from all school functions and warrants taken out for harassment. You need a court date or a good ____ whipping.

Your the reason that makes coaching an nondesired profession

Jack___ parents are part of it when you sign up to take the job, so there is very little you can do to avoid it. The problem with coaching these days is that it has nothing to do with actually coaching the sport. It has everything to do with managing parents and expectations. And with some of the parents, it is impossible to manage because Lil Johnny or Lil Susie plays X on her travel team, and "this coach don't have no idea"........blah blah blah.

I would say this will end in 1 of 2 ways. The coach will likely bench or diminsh the player's playing time, and the parent will stop posting..........or the parent will continue to post......go to the principal.........and the principal will either back the coach or not. I'd say in this situation, the principal (if they have any stones) would back the coach. While I don't agree with the coach's stance on this issue, and agree that he shouldn't worry about this type of thing.......this is the reasoning why coaching has become more of a headache than a joy. With the politics of coaching, you never really know where the principal stands....so you better have a good relationsship with them, and they better be "your guy"........

Now, there are some jack_____ coaching on the high school level, so it is possible that you have an incompetent high school coach........but, sometimes parents are just better served to just enjoy the time, realize their kid isn't going D1 or the league, and realize in life it really isn't that big of a deal.

Interesting responses, Mavbe we should break it down a little.... the difference between HS and college.... and the difference between player and parent.

since I asked the question, I will give my opinion.

( High School player) If at any time a player is disrespectful to a coach, during a game, in a locker room, during the school day, or on social media, then by all means dismiss the player.

( High School parent) If at any time the parent becomes a distraction on social media or on schoold grounds to the point that it is detremental to the health of the team then the parent must be removed.

I do feel that parents have the right to comment on social media, for instance this thread, as long as it's not a direct attack on an individual player or coach.

(College player) I'm sure it is written down what the expectations are

( College player parent) you should be able to excerise your 1st ammendment right ... just like ESPN does every single day as long as it's not a direct attack

Interesting responses, Mavbe we should break it down a little.... the difference between HS and college.... and the difference between player and parent.

since I asked the question, I will give my opinion.

( High School player) If at any time a player is disrespectful to a coach, during a game, in a locker room, during the school day, or on social media, then by all means dismiss the player.

( High School parent) If at any time the parent becomes a distraction on social media or on schoold grounds to the point that it is detremental to the health of the team then the parent must be removed.

I do feel that parents have the right to comment on social media, for instance this thread, as long as it's not a direct attack on an individual player or coach.

(College player) I'm sure it is written down what the expectations are

( College player parent) you should be able to excerise your 1st ammendment right ... just like ESPN does every single day as long as it's not a direct attack

The First Amendment is applicable between us and our government. A lot of people can not seem to grasp that..... My employer or a baseball coach is not the government - you agree to their rules when you agree to work or play for them.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/208044/First-Amendment

"The First Amendment, however, applies only to restrictions imposed by the government, since the First and Fourteenth amendments refer only to government action. As a result, if a private employer fires an employee because of the employee’s speech, there is no First Amendment violation. There is likewise no violation if a private university expels a student for what the student said, if a commercial landlord restricts what bumper stickers are sold on property it owns, or if an Internet service provider refuses to host certain Web sites.

Legislatures sometimes enact laws that protect speakers or religious observers from retaliation by private organizations. For example, Title VII of the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 bans religious discrimination even by private employers. Similarly, laws in some states prohibit employers from firing employees for off-duty political activity. But such prohibitions are imposed by legislative choice rather than by the First Amendment."

The First Amendment is applicable between us and our government. A lot of people can not seem to grasp that..... My employer or a baseball coach is not the government - you agree to their rules when you agree to work or play for them.

http://www.britannic...First-Amendment

"The First Amendment, however, applies only to restrictions imposed by the government, since the First and Fourteenth amendments refer only to government action. As a result, if a private employer fires an employee because of the employee’s speech, there is no First Amendment violation. There is likewise no violation if a private university expels a student for what the student said, if a commercial landlord restricts what bumper stickers are sold on property it owns, or if an Internet service provider refuses to host certain Web sites.

Legislatures sometimes enact laws that protect speakers or religious observers from retaliation by private organizations. For example, Title VII of the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 bans religious discrimination even by private employers. Similarly, laws in some states prohibit employers from firing employees for off-duty political activity. But such prohibitions are imposed by legislative choice rather than by the First Amendment."

Thanks for the claification, my opinion is at the college level parents , fans who ever can voice their opinion within reason. Just as the media does 24 / 7 of course I do not agree with personal attacks. I'm talking about about rehashing the game, wondering why they made a pitching move, or didn't that kind of thing.

Edited by FightinIllini