What would you do if a coach

FightinIllini

I am also an outsider to the program, but the funniest thing posted under this topic was calling Mt. Juliet baseball a "juggernaut".

I guess 8 straight trips to the AAA sectionals, state tournament 5 of the last 6 seasons, state runner up and final four appearances don't qualify as a "juggernaut" program to someone in Williamson County.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The common denominator is that Farragut, Collierville, and Houston have all won state titles in the last decade. While MJ has been close, they haven't made it to the top of the mountain.

Collierville won their first title this year - but coaches were great and it was a great program for years before winning it all this year......

First, I don't coach squat. Been there, done that in a place where I gave more than you would ever imagine so an administration could only see me as an inconvience and would put up roadblock after roadblock, but when I had parents start threatening me for how I did the job, I realized that this school didnt care about me, my family, or my players and our mission, nor did they even appreciate what had been done for the past dozen years.

You are correct about the trickle down effect but that was exactly what had happened during the pre-civil rights movement until Someone said NO-Not anymore. Social media don't give you a "no rules, no concequences " stage to let your mind be heard. People think its a covered stage to say what they want. That is not nor never should be allowed.

I'm as social media as they come. If you follow my football radio show or my all star game, you will know that

I apologize if I didn't read your other posts before saying that. You are correct.

No matter the place, little Johnny's mom and dad will have agendas. At one time, I had parents who never said a word to me nor anywhere else. I had one who later came to me to say they didn't understand why I did what I did with their son during his freshman year until his junior year, and apologized to me when I had actually never heard them say a word. They said they couldn't see through their clouded mind.

Are you saying that if Brown hired a Purvis assistant, everything would be cool? I'm sorry but Pro or Negative Purvis, his era ended. Nothing wrong stepping outside the box. Heck, going to a substate Is winning. They had a great year Yeah, Carter changed some things they were not accustomed to, but change isn't necessarily a bad thing.

This is a good discussion. Sounds like we should be in the state legislature.

If any of us make it to the state legislature, we could change the postseason format as the first order of business. I think teams have to have a social media policy. My experience is that most players get called down pretty quickly if they are airing dirty laundry or smack talking too much. Parents and fans are a different story. Don't know the answer there. I don't think it should affect Little Johnny's P.T. one way or the other.

Wow just now finding this thread, lol...too late for me to comment tonight, but, after helping at the high school level for just one year this year, I realize these guys that do it for a living, do not get paid enough for the background politics, back stabbing, undermining, complaints etc from the parents in the stands. Course its always been this way, even when I was coaching in Dixie. The players grow up, the parents don't. Now don't get me wrong, some parents are fantastic and I consider them "models" for the others to follow. The hardest realization a parent has to make, is when they finally discover little johnny isn't as good as they thought. Cant be the parents fault or johnny's so lets blame the coach. Its the easy road for the parents to take. I got more to say from my perspective, just don't have the time tonight, been a rough week. I love these types of discussions though. Night guys.

Coaches know the politics exist when they take the job and they know what the job pays, so if they aren't paid enough, it's their own fault.

They also know or should know the amount of time that it takes to be successful. One of my pet peeves is when a young coach resigns from coaching to spend more time with his own family. The young man and his spouse knew the time commitment when he got into coaching. When they don't resign from their teaching position it clogs the system because there are less teaching options available when trying to hire a new coach.