What would you do if a coach

FightinIllini

It seems like a good idea when you're thinking about what you want to do in college and you're almost removed or just barely removed from your own playing days. Then you get a teaching/coaching job, get married, start a family and grow up. Some of these guys are running a high school program including maintaining the field, running the summer program and fall conditioning. Add those hours up, including the time on the mower, versus the time you're getting to spend with your own boys teaching them baseball. I wouldn't do it. It's basically a minimum wage job at a lot of places for a guy that's putting in the time. Schools need to know when they hire them where they are at with their families and how stable their situation is.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like a good idea when you're thinking about what you want to do in college and you're almost removed or just barely removed from your own playing days. Then you get a teaching/coaching job, get married, start a family and grow up. Some of these guys are running a high school program including maintaining the field, running the summer program and fall conditioning. Add those hours up, including the time on the mower, versus the time you're getting to spend with your own boys teaching them baseball. I wouldn't do it. It's basically a minimum wage job at a lot of places for a guy that's putting in the time. Schools need to know when they hire them where they are at with their families and how stable their situation is.

If I were the athletic director of a high school I would place it in their contract that coaching and teaching are tied together. If you resign or are terminated from coaching you will not be retained as a teacher the following year. It's very difficult to find good coaches but when the teaching positions are limited its next to impossible.

The issue here is not a coach problem, but a player/parent problem. In the instance of a player's posting, I'd say that the coach has every right to choose the punishment (including suspension) , as he/she will be the one individual who lives with the consequences. In the instance of a parent causing problems, there are many variables to consider such as the players input to the parent, players attitude, ect... but as a final solution, players being benched or even suspended would have to be a viable option to rectify the problem. Athletics are an elective in H.S. , and are a privilege not a right. The coaches that I know personally who've had the fortitude and foresight to never quibble with kids nor parents over any issue from the beginning of their careers to date seem never to have these problems... the rest deal with them frequently. Kudo's to the coach who runs their program as they see fit regardless of the circumstances.

I agree, if a player cannot stay within the guidelines that the coach has set forth, then the player should be punished. I do feel that those guidelines should be clearly stated so there is no gray area. For instance, there might be a difference in tweeting personal negative comments about another team, or person, as opposed to tweeting about the game or the outcome of the game. how much of the players personal life does the coach control?

"In the instance of a parent causing problems, there are many variables to consider such as the players input to the parent, players attitude, ect... but as a final solution, players being benched or even suspended would have to be a viable option to rectify the problem."

I could not disagree more and any coach that took this route would be in my opinion abusing his position....As far as parents are concerned, if a parent disrupts games, practices, then the parent is to be dealt with not the player.... Their are AD's and Administartors taht can handle a parent.....as long as the player is doing what is asked of him, he has no control over a parent and should not be used as a bargining chip. Players cannot pick their parents and should not be punished for a parents actions.

Can you explain "there are many variables to consider such as the players input to the parent, players attitude, ect... "

With all the responses and opinions let's take this further, what are the roles, responsibilites of the parent , player, coach. This seems to be the biggest issue in high school sports today. It seems less time goes into teaching the game and more managing the expectations of parents.

These days the responsiblities of the parents include raising money for these programs, running the concession stand, and working on the field. Coaches roles include making sure some of the wealthy boosters are taken care of. Less time is concentrated on teaching the game and game strategy. Each year I see more and more sacrifice bunts not laid down than ever. Fundamentals of the game are being neglected. Just my opinion! Players are tweeting everything that happens in their lives instead of going outside and working on the game they play. I see coaches more focused on running than working on the skills that make you a better player. It is easy to make Johnny run some poles but it's a lot harder to explain what a "firm front side" means as far as hitting goes.

These days the responsiblities of the parents include raising money for these programs, running the concession stand, and working on the field. Coaches roles include making sure some of the wealthy boosters are taken care of. Less time is concentrated on teaching the game and game strategy. Each year I see more and more sacrifice bunts not laid down than ever. Fundamentals of the game are being neglected. Just my opinion! Players are tweeting everything that happens in their lives instead of going outside and working on the game they play. I see coaches more focused on running than working on the skills that make you a better player. It is easy to make Johnny run some poles but it's a lot harder to explain what a "firm front side" means as far as hitting goes.

I agree , if players would work on their game rather than posting and tweeting that would help alot.

Players leave the conversations and details of practices at the field. They don't go home and tell mommy and daddy everything that happened at practice during the day. Pretty simple really. Players play and parents support the program as dictated by the coach via the booster club, etc. If you violate the rules, you're off the team. Period.

Players leave the conversations and details of practices at the field. They don't go home and tell mommy and daddy everything that happened at practice during the day. Pretty simple really. Players play and parents support the program as dictated by the coach via the booster club, etc. If you violate the rules, you're off the team. Period.

I agree with you in theory but do you really think that players from the age of 14-18 are not going to tell their parents what is going on at practice? I can see maybe college players doing this...

I would expect my children to be comfortable in coming to me with any aspect of their life they are struggling with and being able to discuss it without fear of being "kicked off the team"

Maybe coaches should have a parent/coach conference day like the teachers do. wow that would be fun.

I think someone else mentioned this earlier, but a big issue is making sure the individual player knows his role.... If he/she is accepting of his role then there will be less whining at home to parents.

And I agree , most parents have a lofty idea of their players abilities.

I guess the best thing about all this is that parents are coaches do care about the student/athletes or there would not be so much dicussion on it.

I know when my children talk to me about their coaches, I don't always agree with what a coach does, but I tell them to control what they can control, attitude, hard work, making themselves a better player, encouraging teammates and look at it from the coaches point of view. and I also remind them to enjoy their time and just like players, coach come and go as well.

So much for talking about social media and its impact on high school sports and what the guidelines should be, which was the intent of the thread.

Edited by FightinIllini

johnjsmith,

You are exactly what I'm talking about. You know way, way, way too much about the goings on of MJ's team. You say these stories are from many players! My goodness, it goes back to everyone on the team getting a trophy. Everyone ain't special, talent usually shows and the cream almost always rises. If you get a bad coach, then get rid of him, but some harsh words that hurt a kid's feelings?! Come on, some times these kids need to sack up.

My$.02.