Lake County 2013

I agree with you that different situations require different actions. Its just that the way it was initially put made it sound like he could come to practices now but just wasn't. If there are other circumstances that prevent that I completely understand. As far as Milan goes.... Morris has had I policy that has not changed since my playing days. There are some volunteer sessions (not many) and mandatory sessions. If you miss a mandatory session you do don't play. No matter how talented you are. This is only excused by extreme emergency (illness w/doctor's note or family death). My junior year, 1997, there was a kid whose family took a vacation at the end of July and he missed some mandatory practices and workouts. He did not play that season.

I agree with you that different situations require different actions. Its just that the way it was initially put made it sound like he could come to practices now but just wasn't. If there are other circumstances that prevent that I completely understand. As far as Milan goes.... Morris has had I policy that has not changed since my playing days. There are some volunteer sessions (not many) and mandatory sessions. If you miss a mandatory session you do don't play. No matter how talented you are. This is only excused by extreme emergency (illness w/doctor's note or family death). My junior year, 1997, there was a kid whose family took a vacation at the end of July and he missed some mandatory practices and workouts. He did not play that season.

I think sometimes we treat the programs like college programs. Folks, these are high school kids playing high school football. Every program have rules, I get that, but let's not get so caught up in the macho . Most of the kids won't play college football, so stop trying to be college coaches, be a high school coach for high school football players. Not let a kid play because he goes on vacation with his family, that's crazy. What if that was the only time his father could get vacation at work? If you are running your program right, FAMILY should be at least number 2 on the list behind God in my opinion. Just my opinion, not trying to start a religious debate.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think sometimes we treat the programs like college programs. Folks, these are high school kids playing high school football. Every program have rules, I get that, but let's not get so caught up in the macho . Most of the kids won't play college football, so stop trying to be college coaches, be a high school coach for high school football players. Not let a kid play because he goes on vacation with his family, that's crazy. What if that was the only time his father could get vacation at work? If you are running your program right, FAMILY should be at least number 2 on the list behind God in my opinion. Just my opinion, not trying to start a religious debate.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying Ed. Especially about God and family. Having played at Milan... I have mixed feelings about the mandatory workouts. I understand that it is a harsh rule. But on the flip side.... you end up with the most dedicated players that give their all every practice and every game. It has gotten to where this rule isn't even talked about in Milan because the kids that come out for football wouldn't even dream of missing a practice. It is somewhat extreme. But honestly the high expectations have led to big results. The track record at Milan speaks for itself.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying Ed. Especially about God and family. Having played at Milan... I have mixed feelings about the mandatory workouts. I understand that it is a harsh rule. But on the flip side.... you end up with the most dedicated players that give their all every practice and every game. It has gotten to where this rule isn't even talked about in Milan because the kids that come out for football wouldn't even dream of missing a practice. It is somewhat extreme. But honestly the high expectations have led to big results. The track record at Milan speaks for itself.

I agree with both of you.Milan has set the bar in West tenn as the premier program over the years.But agree with Ed as far as vacations.that what I was touching on.Maybe due to vacations or maybe a divorce and the only time a student can see one parent.Depends on the circumstances,

Let's Not Ignore The Fact that Rules Are Rules...Even In Little League Baseball...If Ya Don't Practice You Don't Play...And It's A Good Rule And One That Should Be Strictly Adhered Too...or What Are We Telling Our Kids And Our Programs If We Don't?...In Mckenzie//Though We Are Not Known As A Powerhouse/..We Have Comer As Coach..Love Him..Great guy...Very Strict When It Comes To Practices.. And Out of School Rules As Well..You Get In Trouble In Town?..You Aint Playing..Make Momma And Daddy Mad..Your Sitting..Rules Are Rules And Should Be Without Prejudice Or Exceptions!

Yea I'm back after a week of ???, like always! MOMS is out at LC and on to the commissioners office in Nashville! Doesn't change how I feel about LC, just kinda takes the wind outta your sails! Kinda got spoiled with her as principal and all, my kids were always in someone teacher's arms whether it were a walk up on Friday afternoon, the gym, or Football Friday! Ugh, still love my green and gold and our kids! Yea yea butchie I bought O network, thanks for the heads up! Any word on 7 on 7s, first looks, or jamborees?

Yea I'm back after a week of ???, like always! MOMS is out at LC and on to the commissioners office in Nashville! Doesn't change how I feel about LC, just kinda takes the wind outta your sails! Kinda got spoiled with her as principal and all, my kids were always in someone teacher's arms whether it were a walk up on Friday afternoon, the gym, or Football Friday! Ugh, still love my green and gold and our kids! Yea yea butchie I bought O network, thanks for the heads up! Any word on 7 on 7s, first looks, or jamborees?

So Suzanne Keefe was your mom??? They posted the Supervisor of Instruction/Federal Projects position out of the central office and I had heard she was taking a job with the state. She is a good woman.

Let's Not Ignore The Fact that Rules Are Rules...Even In Little League Baseball...If Ya Don't Practice You Don't Play...And It's A Good Rule And One That Should Be Strictly Adhered Too...or What Are We Telling Our Kids And Our Programs If We Don't?...In Mckenzie//Though We Are Not Known As A Powerhouse/..We Have Comer As Coach..Love Him..Great guy...Very Strict When It Comes To Practices.. And Out of School Rules As Well..You Get In Trouble In Town?..You Aint Playing..Make Momma And Daddy Mad..Your Sitting..Rules Are Rules And Should Be Without Prejudice Or Exceptions!

What about exceptions? None? Zero Tolerance? Really up to the coach if he wants him to play, but i'd expect them to sit the first couple of weeks! We are in a transition here and I understand but Church Camp, Babe Ruth All Stars, and any custody situations SHOULD NOT APPLY! Puckett said he was gonna walk the halls and get kids out, so what if he sees a stud that he the coach wants after school starts, but hasn't seen their abilities, size, or whatever may attract him to a kid? If he then finds a player he was unaware of during his recruiting the county( and HE IS NEW), should the kid play or is it OK to start em? Question worth hearing your thoughts...

So Suzanne Keefe was your mom??? They posted the Supervisor of Instruction/Federal Projects position out of the central office and I had heard she was taking a job with the state. She is a good woman.

Thanks for the kind words, no actually my mother-in-law(married to Elizabeth with twins and one on the way)! But she is the best! and our Mama Sue

A job she couldn't turn down, also! Working on the same hall as Hassell and Olhauson, both former Lake Countians, but you are probably aware of that! Back to Football before Butchie starts feeling all warm and fuzzy

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been vacationing and moving moms, and so why is this thread pretty dead? Started practicing in pads, and just curious what's going on falconfan or biggy? Numbers look to be around 30, but I see Darius is in a knee brace? Playing in a jamboree in Gibson Co, I also saw...thank god we're not driving to Huntingdon for a freeking jamboree!!! Someone fill me in out what things are looking like???

So I've been vacationing and moving moms, and so why is this thread pretty dead? Started practicing in pads, and just curious what's going on falconfan or biggy? Numbers look to be around 30, but I see Darius is in a knee brace? Playing in a jamboree in Gibson Co, I also saw...thank god we're not driving to Huntingdon for a freeking jamboree!!! Someone fill me in out what things are looking like???

The numbers are between 28 to 30 kids. Basically the same numbers Lake Co usually have. New coaching staff working them hard. Looks like LC will have a very up tempo offense. Playing 4-3 on defense. Kids working hard. Scrimmage Haywood Co and Bolivar on Friday. It's not all the gloom and doom that everybody was thinking it was going to be. Side not everybody was talking about our numbers being down and blaming previous staff. Yes, we only had 19 in the spring but that was without the freshmen and a few baseball players. Numbers would have been about were they are now.