Brentwood Academy 44, Father Ryan 16

WesVLT

This game was a blowout as expected...BA led 44-0 at halftime and played EVERY one of its 91 players after that...so the stats won't tell you much. This puts the Eagles in 1st Place in D2, which tends to bode well for them since the #1 seed has won the state title the past 3 years (MBA in 1999-2000, McCallie in 2001). But there's still a lot of ball to be played. History doesn't mean much right now. It should be exciting to see how it pans out.

At the risk of causing a deluge of BA bashing (easy to do anyways on this board) I'd like people's opinions on something.

The score of this game was 44-0 at the half, and BA's starters came out for the second half dressed in their fleece, not suited up. I understand part of the reasoning, but to be honest, as a BA fan, I did not like that move. To me, it seemed disrespectful of Father Ryan, and also a bit disrespectful to the BA kids who did play in the second half.

On the other hand, clearly BA was doing everything possible not to run the score up, but still...

Thoughts?

I don't think it's something worth bashing BA for, but it would be interesting to hear Coach Flatt's rationale. The same intent (not playing the one and two-deep players) could have been accomplished with those guys in full gear.

I'm not offended by it as a neutral fan. It would be nice to get the Ryan players' and fans' input, though.

[Edited by rollredroll on 11-2-02 12:49A]

the temperature was 31 degrees at the game. there were a lot of kids already sick, and if you're just sitting around with sweat on you in that kind of cold you get colder.going into the playoffs you want everyone completly healthy. it was not a matter of showing up father ryan or making sure that the score was not run up. he was just trying to keep his players healthy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hotmoose

Just to give everyone a little insight to what was goin on in the locker room when the decision was made. Almost all of the starters for BA had the flu and had already been sitting on the sideline since half way through the first quarter. Coach Flatt told us to keep our hoods on and not to talk to any of the fans. He was not trying to be disrespectful to Father Ryan at all he just wanted to protect his kids. As for me I am very thankful for what he did because i would probably still be sick today if he didnt let us go in and change. He also told us to be coaches to the younger players and to cheer them on.