TN High @ Sullivan South Week 1

THSVikings2004

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most of the pictures I see of Adam Mitchell, he is going up and pulling down passes from the high point. I would assume he and Henley work on that to take advantage of his size. For Viking fans, do you know if he has ever played against a team with 2 safeties bigger than him? Like him, South's safeties are also basketball  players. If they cover well, we may see a few jump balls during this game.

In most of the pictures I see of Adam Mitchell, he is going up and pulling down passes from the high point. I would assume he and Henley work on that to take advantage of his size. For Viking fans, do you know if he has ever played against a team with 2 safeties bigger than him? Like him, South's safeties are also basketball  players. If they cover well, we may see a few jump balls during this game.

IMO Crawdad, it's not Mitchell's size that makes him special it's his ability to catch ANYTHING within a foot of arms reach. The kid is a freak! But I have to remind you that Mitchell only scored one of the 9 touchdowns scored against Johnson County. There were six other Vikings that saw pay dirt and 3 of them saw it twice. So I think it's safe to say that Mitchell's numbers will only suffer for a game or two more before teams realize that they are up against a two headed snake with Clark on the other end of the line of scrimmage. Clark is faster than Mitchell, and although I haven’t seen him display Mitchell's playmaking ability (yet), he is just as athletic and has good hands.

IMO Crawdad, it's not Mitchell's size that makes him special it's his ability to catch ANYTHING within a foot of arms reach. The kid is a freak! But I have to remind you that Mitchell only scored one of the 9 touchdowns scored against Johnson County. There were six other Vikings that saw pay dirt and 3 of them saw it twice. So I think it's safe to say that Mitchell's numbers will only suffer for a game or two more before teams realize that they are up against a two headed snake with Clark on the other end of the line of scrimmage. Clark is faster than Mitchell, and although I haven’t seen him display Mitchell's playmaking ability (yet), he is just as athletic and has good hands.

I'm looking forward to seeing this year's Viking squad. I was very impressed with the team they had grown into by the playoffs last year. They looked very balanced in the game at Mo West. Is there a back this year comparable to Trey Delaney or is it more power like I expect from Sir?  Also are they running any power sets with a blocking back or is pretty much only spread? Is Sigmon's replacement kicking all touchbacks? I'll hang up and listen. Good to hear from you Cap. Not many of the old timers left my friend. 04 still carrying the torch high for the Vikings though.

There are still a few of us around...just being quite...and listening...lol.

And to add to what CAP said...yes there are a lot of weapons this year..I was wondering how long it would be before someone mentioned Clark...that kid has got some skills.

Backs...well...Shuff good speed quick feet and power. Daggs, quicker feet ,more speed not as much power and King quick slashing type runner who runs very hard,and hits the hole fast ,real good speed.

Mostly spread from what i,ve seen so far.

Kicker job is still open i think..could be a weak spot this year.

After Mitchell's game against South last year, I went on record saying he probably wouldn't ever have a game like that the rest of his life.  And while he hasn't, in my opinion, he has impressed me in every game I've seen him play.  He just doesn't drop passes.  He's made several one handed grabs in various games/scrimmages this season already.  He doesn't have breakaway speed but his catching ability will allow him to be a good fit at a smaller school.

I'm looking forward to seeing this year's Viking squad. I was very impressed with the team they had grown into by the playoffs last year. They looked very balanced in the game at Mo West. Is there a back this year comparable to Trey Delaney or is it more power like I expect from Sir?  Also are they running any power sets with a blocking back or is pretty much only spread? Is Sigmon's replacement kicking all touchbacks? I'll hang up and listen. Good to hear from you Cap. Not many of the old timers left my friend. 04 still carrying the torch high for the Vikings though.

Aside from Sir, several smaller speedy backs.  Not a lot of size or strength.  King was really impressive when he came in with the backups.  Hope his performance last week earns him a few reps this Friday.  You probably won't see any touchbacks this Friday by the Vikings.

There are still a few of us around...just being quite...and listening...lol.

And to add to what CAP said...yes there are a lot of weapons this year..I was wondering how long it would be before someone mentioned Clark...that kid has got some skills.

Backs...well...Shuff good speed quick feet and power. Daggs, quicker feet ,more speed not as much power and King quick slashing type runner who runs very hard,and hits the hole fast ,real good speed.

Mostly spread from what i,ve seen so far.

Kicker job is still open i think..could be a weak spot this year.

Spot on as usual Couch! Crawdad what should we expect from South this year. I'm sure they are still spreading the field and running the QB option. That's been a game plan they have tried to live up to every since Curt P laid the ground work.

After Mitchell's game against South last year, I went on record saying he probably wouldn't ever have a game like that the rest of his life.  And while he hasn't, in my opinion, he has impressed me in every game I've seen him play.  He just doesn't drop passes.  He's made several one handed grabs in various games/scrimmages this season already.  He doesn't have breakaway speed but his catching ability will allow him to be a good fit at a smaller school.

I agree. Best hands I've ever seen at this level. He's the best playmaker THS has had in five or six years… IMO.

Spot on as usual Couch! Crawdad what should we expect from South this year. I'm sure they are still spreading the field and running the QB option. That's been a game plan they have tried to live up to every since Curt P laid the ground work.

The QB is a very capable runner but it did not seem we were relying on the read option as much as the "old days" you are referring to Cap. The Rebels this year are rotating two backs who each look to have a really good combination of power and speed. They are running out of the pistol formation more which is a new look for us. They look like they want to spread the field with 4 wide in twins most sets  or occasionally with trips using the 6"5" Comsa, at  the single WR to isolate him. I'm sure we can expect a few gadget plays to keep things interesting as well. The Rebels will need to take care of the ball or the Vikings may pull away much like last years game. #3 Headrick returns this year and he had a stellar game at the castle last year.

The QB is a very capable runner but it did not seem we were relying on the read option as much as the "old days" you are referring to Cap. The Rebels this year are rotating two backs who each look to have a really good combination of power and speed. They are running out of the pistol formation more which is a new look for us. They look like they want to spread the field with 4 wide in twins most sets  or occasionally with trips using the 6"5" Comsa, at  the single WR to isolate him. I'm sure we can expect a few gadget plays to keep things interesting as well. The Rebels will need to take care of the ball or the Vikings may pull away much like last years game. #3 Headrick returns this year and he had a stellar game at the castle last year.

That he did.. had nightmare's about that kid...great open field runner.