Jalen Hurd will miss the rest of the season

Nope ... Kid has a bright future and will not - should not rush his health .. He has won one state championship already and could have a long career ahead of him. I would never let my kid jeapordize his future career to play in one game ..I doubt anyone associated with jalen would either

If he will be fully healthy in January, I wonder if he works to get fully health come December if Beech makes it.

If he will be fully healthy in January, I wonder if he works to get fully health come December if Beech makes it.

I cant speak for Jalen or his shoulder, his doc, his type of surgery, etc, but, we just went through this with my son who has a slight tear in his labrum (without the surgery). This is what Dr Pagnani told us. They can do two types of surgery, they can do the "baseball" type and  scope it with 3-6 small incisions, depending on the severity, this type of surgery has a 95% success rate on not allowing the ball of the shoulder to try and roll out of the rotator cup, and its only a 20% chance of losing throwing motion with proper therapy. They can do the "football" type where they lay the shoulder open, rebuild everything, this has a 100% chance of success with only a 5% or less chance the shoulder will roll out but, could lose up to 60% of his throwing motion....now my sons slight tear there was no damage to the rotator cup, no ligament damage, just weak shoulder muscles and too strong chest muscles. So we opted to do therapy 3 days at the clinic and homework every day for 6 weeks than to have the surgery. We felt since he was just coming out of his Freshman year we had time to get cut later if we needed to. He also told us that if he wanted to give up baseball and become a one sport player that he could make him better than new. But he didnt want to give up baseball either. Luckily for us the therapy worked, his shoulder muscles built up great and he has no more looseness in the shoulder. I do not blame Jalen and his family one bit for getting cut now. If we had the surgery, they told us we had a 6 month recovery time minimum, and therapy would start within a few days of surgery. After 6 months he could start working out near normal till he regained full movement and strength. IF Jalen goes through the surgery, does the therapy like he should, for all you Vol fans, he should be fine well before his Freshman fall. :thumb:  From hearing what type of offseason work outs he does, Yall should have no fear. He will be fine, and I pray that he will.  

• Upvote 1

Hate the kid misses his sr. year.  I saw the play he got hurt on, then he came back out and finished the game.  Tough kid!  I can't speak as to what I'd say to my son, I just hope this was his decision and not aided by over-bearing parents protecting an investment.  I couldn't imagine giving up my sr. season, it ultimately was my last.  I did go on to play collegiate sports, just not the sport I love the most.  He certainly has an extremely bright future, and being a VFL, I'm glad the next step of his journey will taken in Big ORANGE!!!!!

Hate the kid misses his sr. year. I saw the play he got hurt on, then he came back out and finished the game. Tough kid! I can't speak as to what I'd say to my son, I just hope this was his decision and not aided by over-bearing parents protecting an investment. I couldn't imagine giving up my sr. season, it ultimately was my last. I did go on to play collegiate sports, just not the sport I love the most. He certainly has an extremely bright future, and being a VFL, I'm glad the next step of his journey will taken in Big ORANGE!!!!!

Actually, a good parent wouldn't send their child out there to get beat on for potentially 14 more games. How badly does the bone have to be ripped away from the body before its ok not to play? For what? A state championship, rushing record, Mr. Football.... He has nothing left to prove on the high school level and will play on Saturdays this time next year.

Mr. Hurd made this decision because its what's best for his health and future.