MBA vs. BA, Change of the Guard?

ScottyOneal

I for one am use to your back handed compliments of Brentwood Academy. Anyone at that game, including many of my clients and friends who went to MBA - know MBA is lucky to have come out of Tommy Owen with a win. I was at a middle school game this morning at MBA and to a T - every father I know who's kid goes to MBA or played at MBA said the team with the most talent did not win last night. What you are saying about BA is  opposite of the truth ... The talent is there they need to find grit and solve these drought quarters on offense. They scored all their points in the first quarter of this game and have had only 2.5 good offensive quarters over the last 3 games. They shot themselves in the foot and MBA had more grit in the end when the game was on the line. When you dominate a game yet fumble with 1:40 left, mishandle a fluff kickoff that almost cost you the game and give up a score immediately in overtime....that takes the wind out. For most of the game BA dominated MBA ... Just calling a spade a spade ..

Great game. Hats off to both teams. MBA is for real. And credit Brentwood Academy for the hot start and almost win. You had to think MBA was going to turn it on at some point and win, but what the BA kids lack in talent, they are making up with heart and hustle.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

I for one am use to your back handed compliments of brentwood academy. Anyone at that game, including many of my clients and friends who went to MBA - know MBA is lucky to have come out of Tommy Owen with a win. I was at a middle school game this morning at MBA and to a T - every father I know who's kid goes to MBA or played at MBA said the team with the most talent did not win last night. What you are saying about BA is maybe opposite of the truth ... The talent is there they need to find grit. If anything BA shot themselves in the foot and MBA had more grit when the game was on the line. For most of the game BA dominated MBA ... Btw I have two kids at BA and my youngest son is at MBA... So just calling a spade a spade ..

Here are highlights of the game. 

BA has to figure out why the offense is in a funk. In the last 3 games ...12 quarters - BAs offense has only scored in 3 quarters .. Really two. 3rd quarter versus Ryan ( fist min of 4th q ) and 1st quarter versus MBA. BA's defense with the exception of some blown coverage is playing well enough to win games. That has been the one shocker for me so far this year .. Even the game at st x - the eagles were able to move the ball and get into the red zone and then it evaporated on them.

Talent wise no doubt BA should be sitting here a one loss team. They have more talent on the field than Ryan and MBA but they are young and making mistakes. The vets need to step it up and hold everyone accountable. I am an optimist so I think this 3 week stretch will harden this team and come playoff time no one will wish to get the eagles in the first round. This week will not be an easy game, nor will McCallie- Bay- and Ensworth.

On a positive note BA has as much talent in grades 7-10 as they have had in a long time. Potter seems to have had more success going back to McCallie and when coach flatt was at BA they certainly didn't win every game as you know. There was a silent swagger when he was around though and the kids left their heart and soul on the field every game - win or lose. The culture at BA has changed somewhat from the old days ... I don't think people fear BA football like they once did but they have the kids coming up and the talent now to right the ship and win a championship or two down the road.

I also think B Adams would have had a breakout year at BA had he not hurt his leg and prince was still out for the MBA game. I know two players do not make a team but they would have helped.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976
  • Upvote 1

BA has to figure out why the offense is in a funk. In the last 3 games ...12 quarters - BAs offense has only scored in 3 quarters .. Really two. 3rd quarter versus Ryan ( fist min of 4th q ) and 1st quarter versus MBA. BA's defense with the exception of some blown coverage is playing well enough to win games. That has been the one shocker for me so far this year .. Even the game at st x - the eagles were able to move the ball and get into the red zone and then it evaporated on them.

Talent wise no doubt BA should be sitting here a one loss team. They have more talent on the field than Ryan and MBA but they are young and making mistakes. The vets need to step it up and hold everyone accountable. I am an optimist so I think this 3 week stretch will harden this team and come playoff time no one will wish to get the eagles in the first round. This week will not be an easy game, nor will McCallie- Bay- and Ensworth.

On a positive note BA has as much talent in grades 7-10 as they have had in a long time. Potter seems to have had more success going back to McCallie and when coach flatt was at BA they certainly didn't win every game as you know. There was a silent swagger when he was around though and the kids left their heart and soul on the field every game - win or lose. The culture at BA has changed somewhat from the old days ... I don't think people fear BA football like they once did but they have the kids coming up and the talent now to right the ship and win a championship or two down the road.

I also think B Adams would have had a breakout year at BA had he not hurt his leg and prince was still out for the MBA game. I know two players do not make a team but they would have helped.

Well bigdog, i hope BA does turn things around.And yes there is talent in the pipeline - always has been.  I would offer a word of caution however on the "most talent in grades 7-10 to come along in a long time". There has been a lot of talent.  When last yr's graduating 2013 class entered 9th grade, they were touted as the class with more athletic talent than any in memory, esp in football and baseball. Won every MS c-ship there was and didn't lose a game in those yrs in some sports. The only state c-ship they won was in track. As you know, talent is just one piece of a c-ship team 

Kids touted as MS standouts many times are not even starting when they are jrs and srs and others have "caught up" with them physically or progressed faster skillset-wise. And i speak from experience with my own kids who reached their peak in 11th and 12th grades. Friday's loss was about experience in my opinion. All of that said, as we said the past many yrs in my family while my kids were playing, in dII it's all about the playoffs so you can peak at the right time and still do something there regardless of the regular season record     

I agree with you meritage ..

Well bigdog, i hope BA does turn things around.And yes there is talent in the pipeline - always has been. I would offer a word of caution however on the "most talent in grades 7-10 to come along in a long time". There has been a lot of talent. When last yr's graduating 2013 class entered 9th grade, they were touted as the class with more athletic talent than any in memory, esp in football and baseball. Won every MS c-ship there was and didn't lose a game in those yrs in some sports. The only state c-ship they won was in track. As you know, talent is just one piece of a c-ship team

Kids touted as MS standouts many times are not even starting when they are jrs and srs and others have "caught up" with them physically or progressed faster skillset-wise. And i speak from experience with my own kids who reached their peak in 11th and 12th grades. Friday's loss was about experience in my opinion. All of that said, as we said the past many yrs in my family while my kids were playing, in dII it's all about the playoffs so you can peak at the right time and still do something there regardless of the regular season record