5A Playoff Predictions

tcs

Let's hear what everyone thinks about the first round in 5A. Here's my take on Memphis.

Collierville(7-3) at Central-Merry(10-0): JCM is undefeated, but their opponents were a combined 40-59. Take out Bolton (who they played in Week 2) and Haywood County (Week 3), who are both better (IMO) now than they were than at that point, and JCM's opponents were 24-55. Collierville's three losses came against Germantown, Houston, and Whitehaven. This will be one of the better games of the week in 5A, and I'm looking for an upset.

The pick: Collierville 21, Central-Merry 17

Overton(5-5) at Houston(8-2): Even if Abe Felix isn't playing, Houston will win. Houston always seems to play better in the postseason.

The pick: Houston 34, Overton 14

Whitehaven(5-5) at Bolton(8-2): I'm still in shock that Bolton has rolled to an 8-2 record and has made the playoffs. This is a team that won seven games COMBINED in the previous four years. Whitehaven goes into this game as the favorite despite their deceptive record. But Bolton's win over Houston proves that they are for real. This is another game to keep an eye on; I'm picking Bolton to win in a mild upset.

The pick: Bolton 14, Whitehaven 10

Bartlett(3-7) at Germantown(10-0): Germantown killed Bartlett 46-0 in the season opener. Germantown has gotten better since then; Bartlett has been shut out in each of its four non-region games. This game won't be much different from the teams' first matchup.

The pick: Germantown 49, Bartlett 0

I'd like to hear some people's thoughts on these games and the others this week across the state.

colliervile upset over jcm huh

jcm has no played anybody huh

i'm so sick of people talking about how they have not played anybody

bottom line they won all of their games

you want to talk about records

lets take a look

collierville combined record 39-60

you say they lost to germantown, houston, and whitehaven

well it looks like to me that they can not beat the good teams

you want to take out the two best records for jcm opponents

lets take out collierville's

record 21-58

bottom line

JCM is 10-0 for a reason they beat everybody they played against

JCM will beat collierville

Cordova? Good? Cordova isn't even in the playoffs...

And as for Bolton-Whitehaven... if high school football were all about athletes, Whitehaven would not have lost to Germantown 52-12. IMO, the biggest factor in Bolton's turnaround has been coaching. Bolton basically has the same talent pool as the other Shelby County (i.e., not Memphis) football team--the demographics of their district are similar to that of Bartlett--so this is not a question of talent.

Collierville over JCM may not happen. Point taken that Collierville cannot seem to defeat the better opponents on its schedule. But I wouldn't rule out an upset. My point is that JCM has rolled through a relatively weak region this season. It's definitely a game to watch.