Powell at Anderson County (9/27/13)

Space3

Here's hoping that Powell brings their best effort on Friday night. We definitely haven't seen that yet.

Panther fans have been spoiled in recent years, myself included. Defensively, Powell just doesn't have "it" this year. No depth and very little athleticism (especially in the LB corps). The hard truth is that they are going to give up a lot of points; there's no way around it. Offensively, execution has been a real problem. Still looking for an identity and too many "untimely" penalties. This team just doesn't have the horses, relative to the previous 3-4 seasons, which is evident in the way they've collapsed in their last 3 games (double digit leads in the 2nd half against CAK, Karns, and Central evaporated).

What's eerie about each of those collapses is that one big play completely turned the tables. After CAK fell behind by 21 in the 4th, they scored on the next play (long pass). After Karns fell behind by 19 in the 4th, they scored on the next play (kickoff). After Central fell behind by 11 late in the 3rd, they scored on the next play (kickoff). Powell has to do a better job of eliminating those "big plays."

That being said, AC is going to put up some points, so Powell has to execute offensively if they want to stay in this game. At the end of the night, I think AC wins 42-28.

Edited by osunut2
  • Upvote 1

I too picked a 14 point spread.  And I agree with your assessment OSU.  But I'm sure Powell will come fired up and ready to play.  A turnover here, a few untimely penalties there, and a big play later Powell could definitely be in it.  So AC also better be ready to play.  We went down to the wire with Powell last year so I can easily envision that happening again.  However, if AC does come to play to its potential, then it could be a long night for the Panthers.  Here's to no injuries.

Edited by MavMaximus

To be honest i can see where they are coming from. AC hasn't played a team yet with much speed and Powell definitely has that with Gardin @ RB.

Anything can happen, but Gardin is one back, and he's small. Plus, I'm confident AC has more overall team speed than Powell this year. I don't think he'll make the edge and he won't run up the middle on us. Now I admit we could lose, but Powell lost to a not very good Central. So a pick for Powell with us at home is out there. But this time tomorrow night we will know.

Anything can happen, but Gardin is one back, and he's small. Plus, I'm confident AC has more overall team speed than Powell this year. I don't think he'll make the edge and he won't run up the middle on us. Now I admit we could lose, but Powell lost to a not very good Central. So a pick for Powell with us at home is out there. But this time tomorrow night we will know.

Yeah. Not saying they will win, but it will be a good game, i think. Powell is still a dangerous team and so far has played better teams then AC. One of which was a blowout to Fulton, but Fulton would do that to probably every team in our district, including AC.