Battle of Morristown

colorodojoe

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MoTown fans - Question:

What do you think has changed with the two programs in Morristown over teh last few years?  It wasnt long ago that West was talked about in state conversations and East was dwelling closer to the celler.  It wasn't too long ago that East players would be fighting amongst themselves on the sidelines and the West players were more mistake free.  What has changed?  Just the cyclical nature of talent or what?

Just wondering.

MoTown fans - Question:

What do you think has changed with the two programs in Morristown over teh last few years?  It wasnt long ago that West was talked about in state conversations and East was dwelling closer to the celler.  It wasn't too long ago that East players would be fighting amongst themselves on the sidelines and the West players were more mistake free.  What has changed?  Just the cyclical nature of talent or what?

Just wondering.

First, the 49-42 prediction is quite bold coloradojoe. Next, West is lacking the experience this year therefore they are taking their bumps just as East got beat up last year. This is the first year since 2006 that East has found a way as a team to overcome the small adversities that accrue during the entirety of a game. From 06-09 East had the championship talent and with the exception of 06 they were more talented than West. In 07 the injury bug really tooks its toll along with the absence of All-State RB Terrell Dockery. In 08 Greeneville truly announced their presence and James Howell breaking his ankle against the Green Devils affected the team due to his leadership being removed from the field. In 09 East had the overall most loaded Varsity team period and the lack of chemistry and team execution ruined the potential of that team. The 2010 team ended up overachieving a little with the exception of the loss to Jefferson Co, team talent was above avg at best that year. 2011 featured good talent however the close games needed were not won, i.e. Bearden and Mo West. 2012 was the least talented and lowest experience team East has put out since who knows when. Good kids that had to play a legitimate tough schedule and could not handle the overwhelming adversity. That season has proven to be the fire needed to harden the steel for this 2013 program. The amount of talent in this year's Varsity team is quite good with each class showing representation of it. Remember that the season is still long at this point. When a team truly works together they always overcome the struggle. There is no big long-term change with either program from East and West. This game should show West playing their hardest and East needs to show up knowing that they are the better team and ready to put the game away before the 4th quarter. The KEY to this rivalry is that for the majority of the past 15 years West is the team that has expected to win the game and East is the team that hopes things go good to win the game. I do not need to say which one of those mindsets is a winner's mindset. Coaches do not play the plays and they are not puppetmasters for the players mental endurance. Players make that happen.

SECfighter, That was probably the most impressive post ever on coacht. I agree that the talent has always been there and we should have been much better two years ago with Thompson and Ricker in the backfield together. That was probably the toughest year ever losing to West by 2 when I knew we had as much or more talent than them.  This year I know we have the advantage in talent speed size and confidence.  I am not sure how Brown and his staff will convince the West players that they can actually compete with us but they are accustom to beating us so we will see.  I really like our chances this year and I think East will put on a show that will keep Morristown people talking for months.  I just do not think they can stop us

MoTown fans - Question:

Just wondering.

As for West its nothing more than the cyclical nature of talent you mentioned, and a brutal schedule. West has a lot of young talent getting experience this year, and their freshman team has been really impressive this year. They should be back to being a top 5 5A team in about 2 or 3 years, maybe even next year if they can overachieve a little bit.

East on the other hand seems to have grown up a lot, from the top down. They have a completely different demeanor on the field and seem to be playing as a team for the first time since 06. They haven't played a very rough out of conference schedule but played well against Sevier Co. I don't think we'll get to see how good they really are till the 6A playoffs though.

Matt Thomspon needs to have great production and a high grade out against West. He is having a very solid Sr campaign and he needs to continue with this rivalry game, especially since this will be the last opportunity he has to win against West and he went to middle school with many of their players. If East plays at their tempo and can control the possessions throughout then they should handily win this matchup.