Columbia Acad vs Wayne Co

wildcat89

As of now, it's NCS, Columbia Acd, WC, Clarksville Acd, JB, and C'ville....in that order.

NCS and CA have bye weeks....JB will travel to WC and C'ville will travel to Clarksville Acd. The winner of WC game will travel to NCS and the others will travel to CA....but that's just as of now.

Jo Byrns and Clarksville Academy are swapped. JB won the head to head, and have basically wrapped up the number 2 spot in their district with only games against Houston Co. and East Robertson left - I'm not sure why they're not in the correct order on the tssaa website.

Right now, (3) WC would host the 6th-seed Cornersville with the winner playing CA in the 2nd round.  (4) JB would host (5) Clarksville Academy with the winner playing NCS.

Unless NCS melts down at the end of the season and JB somehow forces a 3-way tie for first, there is no way WC would have to travel to JB this year. In fact, there is ZERO chance that WC will play JB in the first round unless JB somehow manages to slide to 3rd in their district, which I think is very unlikely.

In answer to the previous question - unless NCS and CA drop 2 of their last 3 games both will have better records than WC.  Probably the only way we'll get a bye is for one or both of them to be shifted to Quad 2 at the end. However, we are locked into one of the top 3 seeds as a district champion.

Edited by 1RT

Jo Byrns and Clarksville Academy are swapped. JB won the head to head, and have basically wrapped up the number 2 spot in their district with only games against Houston Co. and East Robertson left - I'm not sure why they're not in the correct order on the tssaa website.

Right now, (3) WC would host the 6th-seed Cornersville with the winner playing CA in the 2nd round. (4) JB would host (5) Clarksville Academy with the winner playing NCS.

Unless NCS melts down at the end of the season and JB somehow forces a 3-way tie for first, there is no way WC would have to travel to JB this year.

In answer to the previous question - unless NCS and CA drop 2 of their last 3 games both will have better records than WC. Probably the only way we'll get a bye is for one or both of them to be shifted to Quad 2 at the end.

You just ruined my night, you don't get no better of an atmosphere in 1a than a WC vs JB matchup!

You just ruined my night, you don't get no better of an atmosphere in 1a than a WC vs JB matchup!

I agree. If I was trying to forecast the future, and not just how it is this week.  I really think that CA or NCS will probably get moved into Quad 2.  I think that Lake County, South Fulton, and Perry County can all make the playoffs (and I think only 2 of them would have to make it in order for CA or NCS to be moved). That would make WC the no. 2 seed and JB the no. 3 seed, setting up another 2nd round game between us at Waynesboro. 

I agree. If I was trying to forecast the future, and not just how it is this week.  I really think that CA or NCS will probably get moved into Quad 2.  I think that Lake County, South Fulton, and Perry County can all make the playoffs (and I think only 2 of them would have to make it in order for CA or NCS to be moved). That would make WC the no. 2 seed and JB the no. 3 seed, setting up another 2nd round game between us at Waynesboro. 

I don't care who we play, as long as we play at home! I like that home field advantage!    "GO CATS"

This article is by The Columbia Daily Herald.....

WAYNE CO. UPSETS NO. 5 CA

By JUSTIN LAMB

jlamb@c-dh.net

WAYNESBORO —Fifth-ranked Columbia Academy’s dramatic comeback fell short.

Bulldog quarterback Jackson Cary was sacked by Tyler Wallace on the Wildcats’ 20 as time expired allowing Wayne County to escape with a 26-21 upset win Friday night.

“We just ran out of time, but I give all the credit to Wayne County,†said Columbia Academy coach Charlie Lansdell. “They came out prepared and played better than us. We’ve been looking to take that next step and we’ve got to be able to win games like this.â€

The win was the fifth-straight for the Wildcats (5-3), who produced three clutch defensive stops in the second half. The final of those stops came as Columbia Academy (6-1) was poised to pull off a last-second win.

Trailing 26-21 with 2:03 left to play, the Bulldogs raced down the field after starting on their own 4. The drive was highlighted by a fantastic 41-yard pass from Cary to a leaping Taylor Thompson at the Wayne County 28.

Cary ran for 11 yards on the next play before throwing an incompletion on what proved to be the next to last play of the game.

On the final play, Cary was forced out of the pocket toward the left sideline when Wallace was able to drag him down before he was able to get off a pass.

“We talk about giving effort all the time,†said Wayne County coach Rick Rice. “(Wallace) just kept going and going. That was a great effort by Tyler.â€

Earlier in the fourth quarter, the Bulldogs drove down to the Wildcats 23, but Rhett Heflin was stopped for no gain by Peyton Bratcher on a fourth-and-1 attempt.

“That was huge,†said Rice. “If they get that first down they are probably going to score. I thought that was the turning point of the game.â€

Columbia Academy also turned the ball over on downs at the Wayne County 28 late in the third quarter.

However, the Bulldogs immediately got the ball back as Michael Thomas recovered a fumble deep in Wildcat territory. On the next play, Cary hooked up with Thompson for a 29-yard touchdown pull Columbia Academy within 26-21 with 1:03 left in the third quarter.

The Cary-to-Thompson combination was a very effective weapon for the Bulldogs as the pair hooked up 10 times for 157 yards. For the game, Cary completed 15-of-25 passes for 242 yards as Columbia Academy finished with 339 yards of offense.

“Those guys can always make plays,†Lansdell said. “They are very good football players and their effort is the same every week.â€

The Wildcats countered with an impressive rushing attack that generated 244 of their 296 yards of offense. Logan Cole led the way with 96 yards rushing, including a 53-yard touchdown in the second quarter.

Jacob Bevis, who finished with 85 yards rushing, scored the game’s first touchdown on a 2-yard run with 5:00 left in the first quarter.

The second quarter saw the teams exchange touchdowns on the first four possessions. Thomas Garrison started the scoring frenzy with a 7-yard touchdown run before also adding a 4-yard scoring run.

Wayne County scored on Cole’s 53-yard touchdown run as well as a 24-yard touchdown pass from freshman Preston Rice to Keeton Kelly, which gave the Wildcats a 20-14 lead with 45.8 seconds left in the first half.

Columbia Academy appeared to take the lead just before halftime as Garrison took a screen pass from Cary 54 yards for a touchdown, but it was negated by a block in the back penalty. The Bulldogs also had a chance to score on the final play of the half on a pass from Cary to Drew Thornton, but he was tackled on the 3.

Wayne County extended its lead to 26-14 on the opening possession of the third quarter as Rich, who finished with 52 yards passing and 34 yards rushing, scored on a 5-yard run.

“We beat a good football team tonight,†said Coach Rice. “In the past we haven’t beaten a lot of good teams, so for us to beat a good team on homecoming is a big win for us.â€

Columbia Academy will face another District 12-A rival next Friday as Perry County (2-5) comes to town, while Wayne County is off until hosting Mt. Pleasant (3-5) on Oct. 25.

“I was proud of my guys for the way they fought,†Lansdell said. “We’ll learn from this and move on and be ready to play next week.â€

Source: http://columbiadailyherald.com/sections/sports/preps/wayne-co-upsets-no-5-ca.html

New AP poll out in the CDH..... CA has dropped from 5th to 9th after the loss to WC... And WC has made it into the top 10.

Class 1A............................... Record.....Pts Prv

1. Humboldt (11)............................. 7-0............. 1701

2. South Pittsburg (4) .................... 6-1............. 1592

3. Cloudland (3) .............................. 7-0............. 1373

4. Nashville Christian School........ 6-1............. 1224

5. Union City .................................... 6-1............ 1096

6. Greenback ................................... 5-2.............. 83 7

7. Coalfield ....................................... 5-2.............. 73 8

8. Dresden ....................................... 6-2.............. 66 9

9. Columbia Academy .................... 6-1............. 42 5

10. Wayne County ........................... 5-3................ 11 NR

For full article.....

Source: http://columbiadailyherald.com/sections/sports/preps/tennessee-ap-prep-football-polls-oct-14.html

Edited by Big Bigby