LEBANON AT PORTLAND........

SOUTHERNFRIED

It is not a compliment to say the last couple coaches have had talent out the whazoo, but have had bad records ............that = crummy coaching.

Last year, you said talent out the whazoo.............well this new "coaching legend" has got them now, and he is 1 - 6............1 - 6 is 1 - 6 = crummy record.

I really think their talent is subpar, AND the league is considerably weaker; thus they are showing up better. The "old" coach is probably getting about all he can get out of them..........................and that probably holds true for the last (2) guys.

Some schools simply run out of talent ie Gallatin, Riverdale, Smyrna, Lincoln Co., Warren Co....................and all you hear is about the terrible coaching AND that the halls are teeming with football phenoms. Guess what.............neither is true.

"You cannot win the Indy 500 with a YUGO" and you cannot win HS football games consistently with average to subpar players.

Lebanon should get # 2 vs Portland this week, but # 3 & # 4 might be another thing.

Also, for the record............last Year Portland got every ounce they could out of their team in a much tougher league; I thought they really overacheived..........they have had some tough luck this year!!

Very good post. You would never get Riverdale's , so called fans, to believe this . It would neat to see Short at Gallatin, Rankin at Riverdale, and Shadowens at Smyrna and how things would be. I think the same as they are now.

It is not a compliment to say the last couple coaches have had talent out the whazoo, but have had bad records ............that = crummy coaching.

Last year, you said talent out the whazoo.............well this new "coaching legend" has got them now, and he is 1 - 6............1 - 6 is 1 - 6 = crummy record.

I really think their talent is subpar, AND the league is considerably weaker; thus they are showing up better. The "old" coach is probably getting about all he can get out of them..........................and that probably holds true for the last (2) guys.

Some schools simply run out of talent ie Gallatin, Riverdale, Smyrna, Lincoln Co., Warren Co....................and all you hear is about the terrible coaching AND that the halls are teeming with football phenoms. Guess what.............neither is true.

"You cannot win the Indy 500 with a YUGO" and you cannot win HS football games consistently with average to subpar players.

Lebanon should get # 2 vs Portland this week, but # 3 & # 4 might be another thing.

Also, for the record............last Year Portland got every ounce they could out of their team in a much tougher league; I thought they really overacheived..........they have had some tough luck this year!!

If you watch Lebanon play; they are a much better team then the one's they have put on the field the last couple of years. Watch the films.

There is no way you can say this coaching staff is like the previous. This team is more disciplined, focused, and has better game planning and effort. No were near the same team. It takes time to change a losing culture and get the kids to buy into a program. They will have more athletes come out to play ball next year. Give them 2-3 more years and they will be competing for the 9AAA title.

I was complimenting the players, not the coaches. I will never, ever, say anything negative about any player. I thought they were a talented team last year. I thought after our two first scrimmages we would have done better this year as well. I would have lost a pay check if youd told me we would be 0-6 right now, if youd asked during the preseason. I still have no clue what has happened. Bad things happen to good people is all I can come up with. I know from being on the sidelines taking photos, our coaches have never, ever, quit coaching till the end of the game. Its one of those perplexities of being a high school coach. I pity anyone that tries and makes an income off the whims of 15-18 yr old boys. On paper, we are physically a much better team than last year. BUT, that is why they play the game, paper goes out the window on the first play and ya cant teach heart. Last years team, for sure had it, specially our little running back Lynch. Kid did everything he could, in every game he was cleared to play in (due to injuries) . Not to mention, I cant or have seen one break go our way this year in a game. But thats just the way a pointy ball bounces lol........... Lebanon may be in the same boat. I just pray its a injury free game for both teams. Also thanks for the compliments for our kids, I appreciate it. 

Southernfried, you are a true fan. I am pulling for Portland but, will say Lebanon has a big line and a few athletes that can flat out play. Their record does not show how much better they are.

Good luck and God bless.

Thanks, and I dont think their record shows their capability either. LOL I dont know how much of a fan Id be if my son werent playing lol. But he's just a sophomore so I got a couple more years left in me. Im a baseball guy, everyone that knows me knows that lol, Never played one down of football in my life. Coached baseball at different ages for over a decade, and one thing ya cant teach in any sport, is heart. Some have it and some dont.....kids are either born with it or without it, just like athleticism, if they dont have it, blame the parents for bad genes. It may hurt, but, its the truth. Ya have to play with what ya have as a team. Football is no different than any other sport, you could have Tom Landry or Sparky Anderson coaching, and sometimes, it just dont freaking matter, ya got to have athletes and more than a couple. Thanks again for the compliments to our kids TRT. Good luck to yall Friday night as well.  

Great Post! I agree 100% that 1-6 is still 1-6. Mt. Juliet is worse, Wilson Central is worse, Franklin County is worse, Portland is worse, Gallatin is average, Station Camp is average, Hendersonville is average, Beech is nowhere near as good, and Cookeville is a tad bit better but they still aren't lighting the world on fire. Lincoln County is also average.

Lebanon may be better with the new coach but the record says otherwise. Also the quality of teams on their schedule is nowhere to what it was a year ago. Mt. Juliet, Beech, and Wilson Central last year were monsters.

Great Post! I agree 100% that 1-6 is still 1-6. Mt. Juliet is worse, Wilson Central is worse, Franklin County is worse, Portland is worse, Gallatin is average, Station Camp is average, Hendersonville is average, Beech is nowhere near as good, and Cookeville is a tad bit better but they still aren't lighting the world on fire. Lincoln County is also average.

Lebanon may be better with the new coach but the record says otherwise. Also the quality of teams on their schedule is nowhere to what it was a year ago. Mt. Juliet, Beech, and Wilson Central last year were monsters.

I see great points on both sides of this argument.  I agree with those that say 1-6 is still 1-6.  Close doesn't cut it in football and I'm not much for moral victories.  But I do have to say that while the bottom line isn't where I'd like it to be yet, I feel that Lebanon is on the right track just as BKisler said earlier.  How many times did the clock run continuously in the 2nd half last season due to the margin being 35+ pts?  Several.  That hasn't happened one time this year.  Like you say D 9AAA isn't as strong this year as it has been in years past and I'm sure all other teams, like Lebanon, will expect to be better in 2014. 

One of the biggest things hurting Lebanon this year is their special teams just have not been very solid.  On the post game show following the Gallatin game last week Terry Stafford read a stat that just blew my mind.  LHS has scored 16 tds this year and has converted the PAT kick on TWO!!  Now granted they have gone for a two pt conversion following several tds but I think that goes back to confidence in your kicker, snapper, holder, etc.  With a one pt loss to Lincoln Co.  and a two pt loss to Gallatin on the schedule a few more PAT's could have made a difference there.  They also gave up a kickoff return for TD against Gallatin last week.  Several shanked rugby style punts giving the opposition a very short field many times.   

I think they have a good shot at two the last three (Portland, WC, Beech - all on the road).  That would put them at 3-7.  They've been close plenty of times this year.  Be nice to see them get over the hump against WC.

Lebanon wins this one 23-6. Three TD runs by three different backs. Soph RB Jaren Stewart made his 1st appearance since week 0 where he suffered an ankle injury. Scored a 3rd qtr TD. Hope the Blue Devils finish strong but I'm not feeling as good about the chances vs WC after seeing they dominated the 2nd half against Beech last night.

Lebanon wins this one 23-6. Three TD runs by three different backs. Soph RB Jaren Stewart made his 1st appearance since week 0 where he suffered an ankle injury. Scored a 3rd qtr TD. Hope the Blue Devils finish strong but I'm not feeling as good about the chances vs WC after seeing they dominated the 2nd half against Beech last night.

i thought it was a pretty good game for most of the night. Didnt like seeing it get ugly in the last couple of minutes....boys will be boys. LOL Still dont understand the muffed punt, it clearly bounced off the Leb players leg when he kicked it by accident, but, it would not have changed the outcome either way. Good luck to yall the rest of the season...I heard there were several upsets last night but havent seen the scores yet