Mason Dixon Bowl (Sullivan North vs Sullivan South)

SECPowerHouse

Renewing a old rivalry South and North go to battle Friday after 4 years of not playing. These games between these two could be numbered after the Director of Sullivan County School system suggested that the two merge to save money. and closed down the two south zone middle schools (Sullivan and Colonial Heights) and put the middle schoolers at North and the High School at South.  what are your predictions and thoughts

Edited by SECPowerHouse

1) no merger

2) Rebels will make sure the margin of victory is worse than Betsy inflicted

3) Rebels will remember the ill will the Raiders players and coaches displayed at the last meeting

I dont' know, Crawdaddy, do you really think so?  These kids weren't around back then.

It's pretty much the same coaches at North.  Carter's gone from South.  I think they'll all hug at midfield prior to kickoff.  I know a couple that won't be doin' no huggin----Bond and Strickler--they be going huntin'.  !!!!!

Hey!  Here's the North/South thread!  Buried a couple pages back.  I didnt think there was a thread.

Oh I wanna make some bullet points too!:

1. No Merger, period.

2. This game will be lopsided, but South doesnt care what Besty score was though.

3. South coaches were also there in 2008 (6 years ago) and the same North coaches still carry the attitude like they did then.  Guarantee you the coaches for both teams care, although the kids playing now were in elementary school then.

4. The frequency of yellow flags on the ground at North tonight will be high.

5. Robbie will be whining early and often. :lol:

A bit o history, from what I found on CoachT and from memory.  In 2008, North came in to Death Valley with a 6-1 record, after an upset of Elizabethton the prior week.  (wins over 2 Virginia teams, Crockett, Central, East - all world beaters).  Raiders only loss was a 3 point loss at TN High in the Castle.  South was undefeated.  There were North player comments in the paper and a great deal of attitude as soon as they hit the field.  North refused to shake hands at coin toss. May have been a mistake.  Coach Carter's next to last season at South with current coach Haynie as an assistant.  South hung 48 points on their side of the scoreboard.  North managed a goose egg.

North finished the season at 8-3 with two more wins over powerhouses Unicoi and Johnson Counties.  South finished 12-1 ending in the quarter finals with a controversial loss at Greeneville.  (Greeneville lost the following week to Maryville.)

Edited by Pudding

South finished 12-1 ending in the quarter finals with a controversial loss at Greeneville.  (Greeneville lost the following week to Maryville.)

What was the controversy?   :popcorneater: Here is the 2008 bracket,

http://images.chattanoogan.com/sports/2008/falltournaments/football/2008TSSAADIclass4Afootballplayoffbrackets.pdf

Edited by Woodby30

I played high school ball with Robbies' Father. The Father was a diplomat.

The son learned his trade from Graham Clark. The controvercy is explained by attending any North game while sitting on the North side. Which explains why Southers don't want to merge. The merger is abored by both sides. IMO it would create a very powerful team. But if forced, the North parents will all ship their sons to Gate City leaving the school with a 95% South roster. The merger was put on hold due to protest from both sides. My understanding is South will now merge with Central where South actually came from in the first place. Economically speaking, North and South makes the most sense. Will it happen? DB is bursting at the seams so something must be done. Regardless of which way it goes it will create a Coaches dream. However, the only programs at South that are productive are Soccer, Volleybell and of course Football. Coaches are everything. Stacy should have stayed. The North/South thing goes back as far as the 70's. Seven miles might as well be Bull Run. Central has few coaches in any sport so they would most likely welcome the merger.  

As far as South @ Greeneville 2008...South was awarded many questionable calls in that game. One which revoked a TD for South. One which awarded Greeneville a TD while the reciever was out of the endzone and two which prevented first downs for South and one which awarded Greeneville a crucial first down. Regardless, it was a great game to watch Woodby.