PORTLAND AT MOUNT JULIET.....LAST GAME OF 2013

SOUTHERNFRIED

Well, what a season for us in Portland. Only 7-10 seniors, multiple injuries every week, its been rough. We were outnumbered, out sized, and out manned most weeks. But, for the 50 or so kids, that stuck it out, Gentlemen my hat is off to you. Most weeks you were only playing for pride. I never saw the team give up or the coaches. That in itself is a feat. For the coaches, Id like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to take photos for the parents from the sidelines, as near as I can tell, despite my poor skills, the parents and players loved it. As a players parent, I also thank you for coaching till the clock ran out, each and every week. For our small team to compete in the district we are in, it has to be a coaching nightmare, specially in a sport where size does matter. Yall must love it as much as the players, to take that uphill fight, each and every week. God bless.....................good luck to MJ this week, looking forward to seeing some friends Friday night, praying for a safe game for both sides. Both of these two teams have had enough injuries this year, just thankful it hasnt been worse. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks southern fried. This has been a tough year for everyone associated with Panther football. But as you said the players have not quit. It would be easy to offer up the coaches on the altar as a sacrifice, but that should not be the case. This is not the 3 A region Coach Perry had so much success in when he was here. I love our kids, but we take plastic forks to gun fights. Just a fact. Your pictures each week are great. Thanks for doing that. I hope the administration at PHS is wise over the next few days, but we shall see.

Tandem,

A couple starters were lost for a game or two with shoulder injuries, kicker broke ankle and a couple more with foot injuries.

Bk wish yall luck, and I pray we dont have any more injuries this Friday night for either team. Your posts through this season have all been positive toward our kids in Portland, unlike some, well one, lol.  For that I thank you. I have a buddy at work, his son is yalls Freshman qb thats on varsity now, what # is your son, and I will get some photos of your son as well as his Friday night. Yall can download them off my facebook page. I know kids at every school in our district except for maybe Wilson Central so its no biggie, lol. 

Thanks southern fried. This has been a tough year for everyone associated with Panther football. But as you said the players have not quit. It would be easy to offer up the coaches on the altar as a sacrifice, but that should not be the case. This is not the 3 A region Coach Perry had so much success in when he was here. I love our kids, but we take plastic forks to gun fights. Just a fact. Your pictures each week are great. Thanks for doing that. I hope the administration at PHS is wise over the next few days, but we shall see.

Thanks BU, Im glad ya like the photos, I still have a lot to learn, but, as long as the AD, and the Portland coaches allow me to do it I will. LOL some players even ask for special "shots" now during the game, what ever takes their mind off of what they are up against each and every week, I will do. I started doing it in baseball, now football, volleyball and I guess now that my son is on the basketball team, I will do it for them as well lol............your right about how easy it would be to offer the coaches up for sacrifice. It seems that is the prevalent thing to do now in all sports. Not really fair at all. Like I have posted here and everywhere, not one time in the last couple of years have I seen the team give up (as a whole) or a coach not coach till the end of the game. Thats about all you can ask for in any sport, at any age. I have a simple barometer. As long as any coach puts the best he has on the field, irrelevant to age, class, gender or daddy, the coaches coach, teach, encourage, mentor...then ya play and let the chips fall where they may. I dont see where they have not done that. People complain that we have athletes that roam the halls at PHS and the coaches dont recruit them, really? We needed a kicker this year, bam, got a kid off the soccer team, (and he has been great by the way) first time the kid has ever played football. They cant make a student play, if they dont want to, its that simple. A kid has to WANT to put in the work, a lot of kids dont want to do that anymore, and the parents blame the coaches for the kids poor work ethic? REALLY? funny, I thought that was my job as a parent, to instill in my son or daughter the work ethic they will need to get through life, not just athletics, if I havent, then I have failed them, not their coaches......My daughter graduated 4 years ago, she came home one day, as a Freshman and said "Dad, is it a bad thing when they are asking boys in the band to play football?" No lie...theyve been asking kids for years to play sports, we just dont have the numbers, its that simple. I will preach and beg, that they separate the Freshman from the rest of the school, put them back in middle school so we can drop back down where we belong. Other schools do it, why cant we? How many Freshman football players have played varsity ball on a regular basis? In the last 4 years, I know of 3. In baseball I know of 2, volleyball I know of 2, (maybe more in the girls sports, cant think at the moment) so what do we gain from it? Nothing. Its all a numbers game with the TSSAA, but its doing nothing to actually help the players progress. If anything, its taking them back. Most of the schools we play, dont even dress the Freshmen, why would they? They have the numbers to have 11 seniors out there, we dont, lol, It aint rocket science. All the coaches can do in any sport, is coach, teach, mentor. They dont run the ball, they dont throw it, hit it, spike it, dunk it, boot it, fumble it, mis-tackle, foul out, run the bases, or hit a home run. Thats on the player....as it should be....guess Im simple.

Bk wish yall luck, and I pray we dont have any more injuries this Friday night for either team. Your posts through this season have all been positive toward our kids in Portland, unlike some, well one, lol.  For that I thank you. I have a buddy at work, his son is yalls Freshman qb thats on varsity now, what # is your son, and I will get some photos of your son as well as his Friday night. Yall can download them off my facebook page. I know kids at every school in our district except for maybe Wilson Central so its no biggie, lol. 

Thanks Southernfried; good luck to your son and the Panthers too!. I too hope both teams go injury free. Our freshman QB looks good. He is a heck of a player. My son is #34. I don't expect he will play very much if at all. Seems to have been in the coach's dog house for most of the season. Then again; how many other players can say they have played 7 different defensive positions throughout the season. HA ! Where do you have the football pics on your fb page?